Messed Evo DP159F Bridge and Dimarzio UK seller - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Angry Messed Evo DP159F Bridge

Howdy folks!

I need feedback regarding the following. I have bought the following Dimarzio set (Evolution White & Gold DP158F, ISCV2, DP159F) for my Ibanez Jem 7v WH from 1995.

The set was bought on the 13 Nov, 2015 throughout eBay to a known UK Dimarzio seller (I prefer to not reveal its identity for now). But I have only replaced the old PUPS a couple of weeks ago.

Initially I have received a wrong bridge PUP… Got a Breed (if I recall right) instead of a Evo bridge PUP (DP159F). So I contacted the seller, sent the wrong PUP to the UK and after a while I have received the “right” Evo PUP.
I noticed that the PUP plastic package was voided and that the PUP wire tips were previous used. I contacted the seller once more showing my displeasure and said that I have paid for a brand new sealed set of PUPS and that I don’t wanted the voided PUP.

The seller replied that the PUP was voided/opened because Dimarzio has issued a request to all UK dealers in order to test some of their PUPS to check if they were OK. I was like… this is fishy but since I already have the PUP I said it was OK.

Meanwhile got a friend of mine that usually works with another UK Dimarzio seller and he told him the story behind the voided PUP package. He reject that story straight away and have said Dimarzio never requested such a thing.

I have complete redone all the electronic as per official Ibanez diagram scheme. I have bought every single original component except PUPS to Rich Harris Ibanez Rules (POTS, PUP Selector and Capacitors).

When the work was done and after several tests I have concluded that the voided bridge pickup is damaged. It lacks output and sounds thin. The output out of the poles are not evenly balanced. The output of the coil closer to the neck are way higher and hotter than the coil closer to the bridge. This is extremely noticeable when touching with a screwdriver tip against each pole with the guitar plugged in.

But was only after using a multimeter that I have realized that the “bridge coil” of the bridge pickup is actually not working only the “neck coil” is ON, so the PUP is acting like it has a coil splitter which it does not. The bridge PUP is half the resistance than the neck PUP... They were supposed to be identical.

Please check the multimeter readings:

DP158F(neck)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...jFMc21DVVhhNWc

ISCV2(middle)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...DFhbGJiV3dqUDg

DP159F(bridge)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...GlnNVJMeGtfRkU

All the PUP combinations are working as intended except in the bridge position with the bridge humbucker working as a single coil/coil splitter.

Any thoughts and inputs about this saga is going to be highly appreciated.
Regards,

AK

Last edited by AlienKarma; 09-11-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Re: Messed Evo DP159F Bridge and Dimarzio UK seller

I have measured the DP159F directly to the multimeter and I have read a resistance of 13.50. The Pickup is perfectly ok… What is the culprit then???

Regards,
AK

PS: Glad I didn’t revealed the sellers name.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Messed Evo DP159F Bridge and Dimarzio UK seller

Culprit found and problem solved! Fried VLX91 most likely due to iron overheat. Glad I had a spare.

Regards,
AK

Tags
dimarzio , dp159f , evo , evolution , resistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode