Middle coil suggestion for basswood guitar - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Middle coil suggestion for basswood guitar

i am planning to change the hummed and crappy single coil that i have on my RG 870Z BK ... Already changed the bridge with an EVO1 and neck with a PAF pro .... so will i go for Area 67 or Area 61 ? again the body is basswood , i want the strat kinda glassy tubey tone ... suggestions ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Middle coil suggestion for basswood guitar

What type of music do you play? What gear do you have?

If you're not diggin' the noisy singlecoil--go with a mini-humbucker.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

normally instrumental rock stuffs , but i need a glassy bluesy fender kinda tone for middle coil .... aren't the area pickups hum cancellers ?? :S i guess i wont have any problems that much , heh??
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

bdw i dnt have any amp , i play with an old pod 2 , a crybaby , a whammy and a NS 2
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

Yeah--the area pickups may suit your needs.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

thanks , bdw one more thing , if i put colored pickup decals on , will it by any way harm my pickup or are there any side effects ???just asking ..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsuer View Post
thanks , bdw one more thing , if i put colored pickup decals on , will it by any way harm my pickup or are there any side effects ???just asking ..
No--it's just a sticker.
Why not just get the pickup in your desired color? It would be a better color match, as the decals aren't as close.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM

I wonder if it's really possible to get there - the glassy strat sound - with an HumbuckerSinglecoilHumbucker Ibanez guitar. I got a bit surprised when I put a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro in the middle position in my S470. It gave me a singlecoil sound yes, but at least to me, it was not like a strat. I'm not sure if it's the wood or something but well, it was not like a strat...

Oh, and keep in mind that the stock singlecoil is usually matched with the humbuckers regarding the volume, so you might notice a drop in volume when getting new pickups. I did! One way to get around it is to adjust the pickup height closer to the strings, but then it might get in the way for your picking.

But good luck on your quest, hope you end up with something nice!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsuer View Post
normally instrumental rock stuffs , but i need a glassy bluesy fender kinda tone for middle coil .... aren't the area pickups hum cancellers ?? :S i guess i wont have any problems that much , heh??
Based on what you're describing, the Area '61 is PROBABLY what you're after. However, it's worth keeping in mind that the sound you're thinking of is probably a neck pickup sound, while you'll be putting this in the middle. The body wood will make a big difference too.

I've currently got a Fender Custom '69 neck and Texas Special middle in my Strat, but at some time today I'll be swapping them for an Area '67 neck and an Area '61 middle (the Areas are not position specific - that's just where I plan to put them). The fenders are pretty awesome, but I had the '61 in the neck of my Strat before (with a Heavy Blues 2 in the middle) and I actually was surprised how close itgot to the Texas Special neck sound there - it's a great pickup. I'll record clips anda video comparison when I do the swap, but for now, here's a jam with the Area '61 neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQ_uOnhNQU

Don't mind my epic nerd glasses.

That said, I haven't tried it in a HSH arrangement, but I suspect the Heavy Blues 2 would own there. It's hot, for one, almost double the output of a normal singlecoil, and while it's a little on the dark side for a singlecoil that actually IMO would help it balance better tonally with humbuckers. And, its still fairly stratty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvusD6aoHg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Based on what you're describing, the Area '61 is PROBABLY what you're after. However, it's worth keeping in mind that the sound you're thinking of is probably a neck pickup sound, while you'll be putting this in the middle. The body wood will make a big difference too.

I've currently got a Fender Custom '69 neck and Texas Special middle in my Strat, but at some time today I'll be swapping them for an Area '67 neck and an Area '61 middle (the Areas are not position specific - that's just where I plan to put them). The fenders are pretty awesome, but I had the '61 in the neck of my Strat before (with a Heavy Blues 2 in the middle) and I actually was surprised how close itgot to the Texas Special neck sound there - it's a great pickup. I'll record clips anda video comparison when I do the swap, but for now, here's a jam with the Area '61 neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQ_uOnhNQU

Don't mind my epic nerd glasses.

That said, I haven't tried it in a HSH arrangement, but I suspect the Heavy Blues 2 would own there. It's hot, for one, almost double the output of a normal singlecoil, and while it's a little on the dark side for a singlecoil that actually IMO would help it balance better tonally with humbuckers. And, its still fairly stratty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvusD6aoHg
thanks a lot man !!! bdw will heavy blues go with basswood ??
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM

No clue, I only put it in my Strat (alder), and I swapped them for a set of Texas Specials. I would imagine so, basswood is pretty neutral.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
However, it's worth keeping in mind that the sound you're thinking of is probably a neck pickup sound, while you'll be putting this in the middle.
That is very true, I wish I'd thought of that when I switched pickups in my Ibanez...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

i reversed the paf pro neck of mine ... that means when i am in the 4th position it's the middle and the outside coil of the neck .. strat alike ... now the tone has a sparkly feel with sufficient bass to back it up , replacing the stock single coil will enhance the performance ( i hope)

Tags
area , basswood , dimarzio , pickup , rg premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode