Middle PuP Suggestions? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Middle PuP Suggestions?

I just got my S470 earlier this week and put a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Humbucker from Hell in the neck. I'm thinking of replacing the middle pickup with something that would compliment those two better when I use the notch positions. It already has a decent sound, but I'm lookin for a really open, airy sound and need it to match the output levels of the humbuckers better than the stock middle I have now does.

I'm familiar with alot of Dimarzio humbuckers but I've never used their singles but would like to give one a try in this setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Dimarzio single that would get me close to the sound I'm looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Re: Middle PuP Suggestions?

Here's what I did. I disconnected the middle pickup and lowered it all the way down. I installed a Stew Mac Megaswitch P.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...aswitches.html
I have all the good single coil sounds and I don't have that middle pickup in the way of my picking. While I was in there I also replaced the vol & tone pots with good quality 500K pots and the controls are more responsive now.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

I actually have a megaswitch lying around that I used in another guitar so I may give that a shot if I don't find a middle pickup that suits my needs.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM

Blue Velvet, neck model.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM

I haven't tried the Cruisers yet but from what I hear they might be perfect. Then, since it's a rails design you really don't have to worry about it getting in the way of your playing. If the pick hits it it'll just glide over it, rather than getting caught up on pole pieces.

The Fast Track would also be a great alternative. I love those as middle pickups.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 AM

hs-2

it's great
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 AM

i was all set for a hs2 or hs3...then i noticed that there is an Yngwie version of both with "added highs".!"!

i'm getting confused about all this.

here's my plan so far

bridge: a Tone Zone for sure.

Neck: I want power and clarity so i thought a Humbucker from Hell....BUT!! will i get a good sound when i use the out of phase between the neck and middle pickup??

Middle: again - hs-2? hs-3? yngwie models???

please can someone help before i spend money!!

Last edited by nickysplendid; 03-11-2005 at 05:05 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 AM

Have you contacted Dimarzio yet? They seem to reply pretty quickly and can give some advice on how the different Dimarzios would interact with one another. Also, per Dimarzio's tech people, they have a 30-day return policy, so, as long as you leave the full length of the lead on the pickup, you can return it for credit (not cash back) on the next Dimarzio you buy. [BTW, I'm not a Dimarzio salesperson or anything, just have some experience recently in trying different pickups and learning through expensive errors!]

Also, if you are not set on Dimarzios, I like Evans single coils and they match very well with the TZ, IMO. In that guitar I use the lower vintage output model in the middle, with the the TZ in the bridge, and a hotter blues output Evans in the neck. It's a good combo. The lower output pickup has a very soft, airy, springy sort of sound.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthark
Blue Velvet, neck model.
There ain't much to beat the tone

Rob
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
There ain't much to beat the tone

Rob
I like the bridge model in the middle, of course it's in a guitar with a way hot bridge pickup(Super3)...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 AM

I'd have to say the Duncan Duckbucker. 'Cause you can get that tone you would normally get in position 4 in position 3 and also get even more of a scooped sound in position 4.

Okay it does sound a little confusing, but the Duckbucker by itself in the middle position gives you that sound you would normally want from position 4. This way you also get a use for that normally useless middle position in your switch. (oh yeah, it's also humcancelling if you're worried about that).
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:25 AM

Reviews: 2

take it out
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 06:07 AM

shydude6996 Please add real location

Regards

Rob

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio humbuckers , output pickup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode