Mixing Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio - Output match? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Mixing Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio - Output match?

Hey there... I'm trying to wake up the sound of my SZ320 a bit and I have a Norton laying around that I'm dying to try out. Before I install it and put on a new set of expensive Elixirs I though I'd ask about how well it will match up output-wise with the stock Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup that's in it. I can find as much info on SD's site about the output as you get from DiMarzio... just impedance.

Norton (bridge) - 352mv, 12.62k ohms
SD '59 (neck) - no mv info, 7.6k ohms

Is this going to be a close enough output match that I can work with pickup height and get them in the same ballpark?

Thanks for any info or advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Mixing Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio - Output match?

I think there will be no problem at all!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 PM

nice...
paf class pickups are awesome in the neck position (even SD)

Norton has great mids and not too loud ... should sounds pretty nice

enjoy

for pickup height ; start pretty low and then raise them till you get the attack\volume you are looking for
remember when you pick harder it's typically louder

I play with my neck pick up pretty low then raise the screws a bit for a bit more brightness but i like it jazzy

just thought if you are doing the wireing make sure you look up dimazio vs SD wireing

Last edited by LACS-plus; 06-22-2017 at 08:11 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys... I might go ahead and give it a try then. I did look up the DiMarzio vs SD pickup colors, so it should be pretty simple. I looked up a wring diagram on-line last night and found the one I posted on the forum here a few years ago. The SZ guitars use a big 4-pole, double throw switch with some strange internal contacts that make and break in different positions. It was hell mapping it out years ago and figuring out the proper wiring.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ng...ow-132117.html

I tuned it up last night just to get a good idea of how it sounded, as I hadn't played it in a while. I was actually surprised how good it sounded with the stock pickups, basically a Duncan Distortion bridge and '59 neck. I hadn't played a shorter scale guitar in a while and I really noticed how much easier the bends were... can't wait to get this guitar jazzed up and restrung!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick follow up... I put the Norton in the bridge a couple nights ago and threw on a new set of Elixir 10's. Sounds great and the output matches very well! Neck sounds buttery smooth and the bridge is just a little edgier than a vintage PAF sound. Very rich midrange that this mahogany set neck guitar really needed. Good classic rock sound but easily kicks right in to overdrive.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Just a quick follow up... I put the Norton in the bridge a couple nights ago and threw on a new set of Elixir 10's. Sounds great and the output matches very well! Neck sounds buttery smooth and the bridge is just a little edgier than a vintage PAF sound. Very rich midrange that this mahogany set neck guitar really needed. Good classic rock sound but easily kicks right in to overdrive.
nice....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Reviews: 4

You'll be having a killer combination, there!!!
I find the SD '59 an excellent pickup. Very similar to DiM PAF Classic. Crispy and clear. Love it!

I have no experience with the Norton, but from what I read, it will be a great match to it.

You'll just have to pay extra attention to the different colour coding of both brands. Other than that, f*ckin' enjoy!!!

EDIT:
Oh yeah!!! A pair of '59s in a Les Paul definitely kicks it into outter space! Crispy and articulate, they really kick ass with heavier gauge strings.
I have a pair of '59s on a PRS-copy: 25", mahogany body. With Elixir .011s and D#, the d*mn thing explodes every time I use a slight overdrive channel. I mean, it really sings!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Thats good to know... I have an old heavy '76 Les Paul and I just don't play it as much as I used to. I played it for years with severely worn frets and after new frets and nut it just doesn't feel like the same guitar anymore. Might be time to jazz up the pickups one of these days and get used to the way it feels again. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Oh yeah!!! A pair of '59s in a Les Paul definitely kicks it into outter space! Crispy and articulate, they really kick ass with heavier gauge strings.
I have a pair of '59s on a PRS-copy: 25", mahogany body. With Elixir .011s and D#, the d*mn thing explodes every time I use a slight overdrive channel. I mean, it really sings!

Tags
59 norton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode