Musicman axis pickups in RG550 middle pickup advice? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Musicman axis pickups in RG550 middle pickup advice?

Ive previously owned a music man axis and found it to be monster of a guitar, particularly the pickups. However i had a few other issues with the guitar. in the end i found i wasn't playing it and i ended up selling the guitar to a friend. This friend however wasn't bothered about keeping the pickups (I KNOW HE MUST BE OUT OF HIS MIND!!!!:O) so we cut a deal with a reduction in price. This deal has landed nicely time wise as ive recently decided to swap out the pickups in my HSH RG550. My 550 was set up for metal and tbh ive never got on with the pickups that i put in there. I plan to put both of the axis pickups into it but i am a bit stumped for a single coil position pickup that will match up with them. I currently have a dimarzio distortion S in the middle position but i think a switch to something with a bit more clarity, harmonics and treble for cleaner playing would be nice. It has to be a hum bucking single coil as ive wired the guitar so that all pickups can be coil split. My short list at the mo is a Satch track or a cruiser pickup....possibly a seymour duncan hot rails or some other company, although i always seem to end up using dimarzios. Any suggestions and avice would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Re: Musicman axis pickups in RG550 middle pickup advice?

I don't remember the axis pickups being very loud (though they do sound great)
I would just get a RW single coil (or wire a normal one backwards) and tap the bridge and neck accordingly

get a nice range of of versatile and mostly noise free sounds

Dimarzio true velvet middle
I have always liked the ibanez s1's for a middle pickup might just leave it in there

eh just an opinion
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: Musicman axis pickups in RG550 middle pickup advice?

The neck pickups not super loud but the bridge is pretty hot. Id say theyre probably classed as medium output but hard to know as theres not a lot of info on them. Hmm i suppose its an idea to get an RW and just tap the bridge and neck, id gain more of the clarity i want by dropping some of the gain, but id lose some of the tonal options as currently i have all wired to split which gives a huge amount of tonal versatility. Yes the true velvet is a common middle pickup for prestige and j custom models ive heard good things tho ive never used one ive heard a few (im sure Nita Strauss uses them). hmmm yeh my RGs an 87 that i literally rescued in pieces from the back of a guitar shop in Tokyo and before i got the axis pickups i was tempted to put it back to stock or stock jem, as when i bought it it never had any pickups in. Tbh it looks like ill drop the humbucking single coil and switch to a RW single coil. Cheers for the advice

Tags
axis , hsh , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode