Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My apologies to DiMarzio

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  psychoshredder 
#1 ·
Ive never been a fan of DiMarzio's, as Ive always been biased towards Duncans and EMG. My latest guitar has a set of Evo's and I love them. I guess the generic look of the X2N is what made me avoid a high output DiMarzio.

I stand corrected in my biased opinion...

#3 ·
although people like to lump a certain sound with each pick-up manufacturer, the truth is that there will most likely be pickups you like and pickups you hate from each manufacturer. in fact, there are several pickups that sound the same between duncan and dimarzio as they kind of have to develop pickups that fill a certain niche. i don't really see one being better than the other. i do like certain pick-ups from each.

#5 ·
although people like to lump a certain sound with each pick-up manufacturer, the truth is that there will most likely be pickups you like and pickups you hate from each manufacturer. in fact, there are several pickups that sound the same between duncan and dimarzio as they kind of have to develop pickups that fill a certain niche. i don't really see one being better than the other. i do like certain pick-ups from each.
Can you name a few that has similiar sound? That would be good to know.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm glad you found a DiMarzio you like!

It's much more than a "DiMarzio tone" or "Duncan sound" thing when you get right down to it. Every well-established pickup company out there makes high, low and medium-output pickups in a variety of styles, winds and magnet, pole and coil configurations. I would guess that just about every company out there has at least one pickup in their range that would meet a given individual's needs, whether they know it or not. Some DiMarzios rock as hard as some Bare Knuckles and some Bare Knuckles suck as bad as some Seymour Duncans and some Seymour Duncans lay waste to some DiMarzios, etc.

Again, I'm glad your mind has been opened! Enjoy your new pickup!

#7 ·
I see people posting on forums all the time that they prefer "the tone of Duncans" or hate "that DiMarzio sound". There's no such thing out here in the real world! So many posts like "I need help finding a pickup, but I will only consider Seymour Duncans"...makes me sigh everytime.
The same can be said of anyone hating a particular sound...

I love the way Dimarzio works for me, but there have been many pups out there that I fell in love with...

Washburn made a Paul Stanley model around 98-00 and it had Washburn Black Diamond pups (Paul Stanley models) and they were surprisingly @ss!

Most versatile pups ever though, IMHO, were the Peavey made Db2 pups that came with their Cropper Classic...OMG!! Just a brilliant pickup!!!

#8 ·
well i dont know about no set tone for some brands. after all, every EMG sounds relatively the same and an 81 in an rg570 sounds the same as an 81 in a 59 les paul.

however, i do agree that duncans dont sound like duncans and dimarzios dont sound like dimarzios. they all sound like pickups

#10 ·
DiMarzio doesnt need my help to sleep better lol

I know that my quest for a certain sound has always been super heavy, bone crushing etc. I cant think of any Dimarzio artist that fits that description, which is a major reason Ive avoided them. These Evo's are not only heavy, but articulate and versatile. I only wish pickups were easier to swap and cheaper, to facilitate trying a bunch vs a few..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.