My Custom DiMarzios Just Arrived! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

7Likes
  • 4 Post By webmaestro
  • 1 Post By Rich
  • 2 Post By webmaestro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

My Custom DiMarzios Just Arrived!

A little backstory first:

I've been nagging DiMarzio for a couple years now... asking if they'll make me a one-off set of 7-string DiMarzios with the chrome tops. More specifically, I wanted chrome tops on an Illuminator 7 bridge and Ionizer 7 neck.

They've always written back to me saying, flatly, "no."

They just don't offer any of their 7-string pups with the chrome tops, except for very special cases (ex: artists/LACS, and the UV77-SVR). The rest of us are out of luck. Same goes for gold-topped 7-string pups.

This year I got to go to NAMM for the first time, and I figured I'd take the opportunity to bug DiMarzio about this again, but this time face-to-face at their booth. To my utter astonishment, they didn't even hesitate and said "sure, we'll do custom chrome tops for you. Come sit down over here and we'll take your info."

Yesterday, these babies arrived...

I can't wait to put them in my RGD3127, which is white and already has chrome hardware. More chrome!

It's interesting: When I was just some faceless customer sending emails, they said no. But I walk into their booth at NAMM and suddenly I'm somebody. I guess that's what they call "the NAMM effect."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Vendor

Re: My Custom DiMarzios Just Arrived!

It's easy to say no to an email. Who could say no to a face like that?
froctavio likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
A little backstory first:

This year I got to go to NAMM for the first time, and I figured I'd take the opportunity to bug DiMarzio about this again, but this time face-to-face at their booth. To my utter astonishment, they didn't even hesitate and said "sure, we'll do custom chrome tops for you. Come sit down over here and we'll take your info."

Yesterday, these babies arrived...

It's interesting: When I was just some faceless customer sending emails, they said no. But I walk into their booth at NAMM and suddenly I'm somebody. I guess that's what they call "the NAMM effect."
WhOohOo! Congratulations

Persistence won at the end.
Glad it all worked out at the end and that you didn't gave up.

I look forward to the pictures.
It is going to look really neat the White on all Chrome hardware.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:12 AM

One step closer to your Ibanez LACS!
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Speaking of, what did you ever do with that PAF Pro seven string?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Speaking of, what did you ever do with that PAF Pro seven string?
I've still got it here, wrapped up safe and sound. To be quite honest, I don't think I'll ever install it in any of my guitars as I'd originally planned. I'm pretty content with my Ionizer 7 in the neck position of all my 7's. Think you'd want to take it off my hands?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:16 AM

I'd definitely be interested - I'm pretty happy with the Sentient/Custom set in my Suhr, but the PAF Pro is one of my absolute favorite neck pickups, so I'm sure I could find SOMETHING to put it in. I'll shoot you a PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
I've still got it here, wrapped up safe and sound. To be quite honest, I don't think I'll ever install it in any of my guitars as I'd originally planned. I'm pretty content with my Ionizer 7 in the neck position of all my 7's. Think you'd want to take it off my hands?
Perhaps now Dimarzio will make you another PAF Pro 7? You have three custom Dimarzio 7 string humbuckers and you attended NAMM, which means you are not a "faceless customer sending emails." Also, asking for another PAF Pro 7 string humbucker is not unreasonable, especially since you already have one.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay, got them installed today. I also replaced all the saddle lockdown (intonation) screws with stainless steel because... well... it was more chrome:

peromucho7 and Jemerator like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Slick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode