Are my pickups really DEAD? - Band peers saying my FP's PU's - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Are my pickups really DEAD? - Band peers saying my FP's PU's

I've been told by the bass player and the other guitar player in my band that the original pickups in my FP have gone microphonic and need to be replaced. The FP is a 98' and I've seen many FP's on Ebay from 88' and 89' with the original pickups that still work. So how could mine be no good? I do have to say I beat the bag out of my guitar and there is beer, sweat and cigarette ashes all over the guitar and the little round magnets have some surface rust that I clean off as best as I can. I notice a little squeal here and there, but the guitar still sounds great. Does anyone know a sure way to tell if your pickups really are no good? Is this squeal I'm getting for other reasons or a sign of a bad pickup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 02:23 PM

Reviews: 1
Are my pickups really DEAD?

If you aren't getting sound out of them, then they are bad.
Microphonic pickups can be fixed by re-potting them in wax.
The magnets can go on them too, Dimarzio will re mag them for you if you send them in.
Bamm
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I didn't even think of trying to get them repaired!! You can get them fixed!! I don't have to search everywhere to find pink Dimarzio's!!!! *See that's why I love coming here to Jemsite. You guys are just chock full of info and give great advice. I'm proud to be a shirt wearing member of jemsite, and I hope to someday know what the hell I'm doing. * Thanks BammBamm * *
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:31 PM

you don't have to search everywhere for pink dimarzio's anyway, just gotta call dimarzio and order them, or through your local dimarzio dealer, any pickup in any color, that simple
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:06 AM

Id go with littlegreenman. This guy knows his stuff. Period. You should have your webpage on the Jemsite.
Chadwick
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:08 AM

Id go with littlegreenman. This guy knows his stuff. Period. You should have your webpage on the Jemsite.
Chadwick
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to find someone to repott them for me. It's going to kill me to go without my Jem (only have one) for a couple of weeks but I've gotta do something. The squeals are really annoying when there's a couple thousand watts behind it. I know Littlegreenman does a lot of work on guitars. Do you dip?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:32 AM

Why not do-it-yourself ? Save some time and money....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 11:14 AM

I can get ya pink dimarzios in like 2-3 weeks.... just ask kevan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Last weekend it sounded like my bridge pickup was single coil. I kept checking the toggle switch thinking I was on my middle pickup but I wasn't. I think one side of the humbucker is dead. Now not only does it squeal like a pig, but it sounds like a single coil too. I'm going to switch my neck pickup with my bridge pickup since I don't use anything but the bridge pickup anyway and see how that goes until I can get that one replaced. Thank you becalvert for the info on dipping pickups. It doesn't sound that hard and I've printed out those directions and I'm definately going to try that on a different guitar, seeing that I don't think repotting it will help at this point. This place is FULL of people that know their sh*t and I apprieciate all the help you guys give me. I know NOTHING except how to play. I went to the Dimarzio site for a price and I don't even know which pickup I should get to replace it. I know from this website that Jem77FP's have PAF's in them, but I want to keep the look of the guitar the same, BUT put something really HOT in it's place. I like mean and nasty tone, any suggestions jonrayl???
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I read another thread about someone with a BFP and everyone is telling him to put a Tone Zone in it. I think that is what I will be trying also.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:56 AM

If it's me you're talking about (Evo vs. ToneZone thread) I'd like to tell you that I too have been accused by my band members of having bad pickups. I too had to deal with uncontrollable squeals, feedbacks and I did go through that nightmare:
Waking up the other day and finding that my bridge PafPRO sounds like a single coil (no sustain, yuck).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Courjan on 4:56 am on April 24, 2002
If it's me you're talking about (Evo vs. ToneZone thread) I'd like to tell you that I too have been accused by my band members of having bad pickups. I too had to deal with uncontrollable squeals, feedbacks and I did go through that nightmare:
Waking up the other day and finding that my bridge PafPRO sounds like a single coil (no sustain, yuck).

Yeah, it was you. I was inspired by your words. I'm going to get a new pink ToneZone from www.universaljems.com and replace it soon. They've got great prices, but I hope that I can get what I want the first time and get my Jem up and running again. I'm a retard when it comes to even understanding what good "tone" is, so I listen in on everyone elses conversations to find out what works and what doesn't work. Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like you've been down the same road I'm about to tread.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 1

Brian is a great source for pickups, good pricing and you don't have to stand around waiting for someone at guitar center picking their nose answering a 13 year old's question about a Curt Cobain or Limp Bisquick signature guitar... Ughh
Nex project I need Pups for, Bri is my go to guy.
Bamm
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

BammBamm said:

Brian is a great source for pickups, good pricing and you don't have to stand around waiting for someone at guitar center picking their nose answering a 13 year old's question about a Curt Cobain or Limp Bisquick signature guitar... Ughh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

LMFAO

:rotf:

Tags
bridge pickup , neck pickup , signature guitar , toggle switch , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode