Neck pickup for AT1 - Help! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Neck pickup for AT1 - Help!

Hey guys - I'm looking for a neck PU for a dimarzio AT1 (already purchased... it's just laying around lol). I've narrowed it down to the Breed neck, the Air Norton, and maybe the PAF Pro. I know that this would make a dark tone.... I have a RG520QS.... But it's cool with me... I'm not fussed on a bright lead tone.

Does anybody have experience with any of these PUs?? I've been researching all day... not to mention the months I have been looking as well
I'm leaning towards the Breed Neck, as the AT1 is compared to the breed series often, but the breed neck has an output of 325, as the AT1 is 320... Is that detrimental to the pairing? The Breed and AT1 seemed to have the closest EQ that I could find.

I also like a PU that cleans up well, and has an ok split-series (or is it parallel?) tone. But this isn't mandatory as long is it cleans up and brightens up (I have a cap at the volume so it should).\
I also like versatility, it seemed to me the AN may be less versatile than the Breed Neck, is this true?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Neck pickup for AT1 - Help!

Hey buddy!!!

The breed and Paf-Pro are both very nice and will work...but.......

FRED, FRED, FRED, FRED!!!!!!!!

I think the Fred would be the best pairing with your AT-1.......The pair sounds really good in my 570/Jem.

It will sound AMAZING in your (mohag) 520!!!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM

Reviews: 120

Id go the PAF Pro or Air Norton, but that's because I've tried them. Fred does sound good from the reports I've heard though.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM

I have all the pickups that have been listed here in the neck on Ibanez guitars. The Breed is my least favorite of all of them. The Breed Neck makes a better bridge pickup believe it or not. I don't care for it much in the neck. The PAF Pro and the FRED are so close in sound it's not funny. The FRED has just a touch more mids and that gives it a little more output too, you can't hear the output difference at all. Neck pickups have less output for a reason, they get muddy faster with more output. When the Bridge is 375 and the Neck is 300 it sounds almost the same in output because the bass is so much greater in the neck position. The Air Norton is very popular but I feel it is an okay pickup, nothing special about it really but it works fine. In my opinion the AT-1 and the PAF Pro would be the best combo. The PAF Pro has a lot going for it, for what I like in a neck pickup. It's nice and warm but at the same time very chippy or clicky with the pick attack. You can really hear the pick sound clicking away through the amp. The parallel sound is even more of the same goodness, just more intense.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 AM

I would go Liquifire, but then I hate the PAF Pro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode