Neck Pickup and Shred.. Help me out Shredders - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Re: Neck Pickup and Shred.. Help me out Shredders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlute View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought when reading the OP, although with the experience he mentions it would be hard to believe he's missing something like that.

I've honestly never had that experience with any neck pickups, even when one of mine went microphonic. Right now I'm using a Liquifire in the neck of my RG920, and it's pretty much the sweetest, most tubular neck tone I've ever heard. Something is definitely wrong with the rig. Heck, even my bridge pickups don't get the sound you describe.
I had it happen with an Evo bridge that came in a RG550 I bought once... it was wired going by the Duncan color codes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:06 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
I have been wiring pickups for decades as I have said, and some of these pickups in my PRS guitars have been installed for years. They are not out of phase or wired in parallel.

http://youtu.be/D-_Wm8T1iMc

In this video of Paul Gilbert, you can hear EXACTLY what I am talking about around the 20-40 second mark on his high strings. It is a microphonic screechy clanginess to the note.
I had this same problem on one of my RG's a few years ago, I never figured out exactly why it was doing it, but I did find that using 250k pots (Aud-Vol; Lin-Tone) helped a lot. At the same time, I switched from 22 to 26 gauge wire AND changed my brand of strings. Because of all the different changes I can't say what did the most, least, or nothing at all, but something in there got rid of the horrible "ice-pick" sound I was getting.

I also stopped using treble bleed caps around the same time, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
I had it happen with an Evo bridge that came in a RG550 I bought once... it was wired going by the Duncan color codes
Damn black and greens!:-
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM

i think the ice pick highs come from a couple of factors.

I would try a thinner more flexible pick to see if it originates with a picking action.

I would try a different brand or 1 size larger strings.

I would turn my tone knob to 8 or 9, or try a 250 tone pot

The pickup could also be slightly microphonic.

You could be catching interference from an electrical source. Try changing plugs or if your amp has a grounding switch change it to a different side.

Try to only do 1 thing at a time in order to best isolate the cause.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I've been doing some "video research" over the last few days.

I have had some success using 2 distortion pedals in series for increased gain (which I wrongly assumed would make it worse) and lowering the treble a LOT and mids down quite a bit on the amp, then adding them back in with the pedal EQ's. This sounds pretty good with my RG and PRS. Some more tweaking and experimenting with pedals might get me there. The Ibanez S still has some of the clanginess on the high E and B, but then that guitar was always a bit clangy because of the cheap metal on the ZR trem.

I always thought it was a bit odd that Vai and Satriani used 2 DS-1 distortion pedals in a row, but maybe this is why. I also watched a few videos of shredder rig rundowns and noticed that 3 of them had the treble turned WAY further down than I would have thought to, and the bass WAY up.

I appreciate your guesses guys, and would appreciate any other tips shredders might have, but can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get past the idea that I have something setup or installed wrong. I've been setting up guitars working on amps, and installing and modifying pickups for rock, blues and early metal for decades. Nothing is wired wrong, I've tried 250 and 300k pots, different caps, strings, picks, guitars, amps, pedals, cords, pickups etc.

This is just my first foray into pure shred, and I think I just didn't understand how those classic shredders were EQ'ing their amps and boosting their signals.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Thats what I was trying to mention, you distort the highs the most then balance them in the end.

The metallic sound problem comes from the very highs and those freq.s must be cut not distorted. You can do this with the highest band of the eq pedal (like turn down the highest band but boost the one before it) or use higher value (try orange drops) caps on tone pot.

If you have a 0.33 cap on your volume pot, you can remove it to get slightly more mid.s and highs.

Problem with higher value caps is the cleans might sound too muddy. I'm not sure but this could be prevented by using a push/pull pot that engage/disengage the cap. on the tone pot.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mertay, that is making a lot of sense now that I have fiddled around with the EQ and pedals a lot more. Do I also need to invest in an equalizer pedal?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I've been doing some "video research" over the last few days.

I have had some success using 2 distortion pedals in series for increased gain (which I wrongly assumed would make it worse) and lowering the treble a LOT and mids down quite a bit on the amp, then adding them back in with the pedal EQ's. This sounds pretty good with my RG and PRS. Some more tweaking and experimenting with pedals might get me there. The Ibanez S still has some of the clanginess on the high E and B, but then that guitar was always a bit clangy because of the cheap metal on the ZR trem.

I always thought it was a bit odd that Vai and Satriani used 2 DS-1 distortion pedals in a row, but maybe this is why. I also watched a few videos of shredder rig rundowns and noticed that 3 of them had the treble turned WAY further down than I would have thought to, and the bass WAY up.

I appreciate your guesses guys, and would appreciate any other tips shredders might have, but can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get past the idea that I have something setup or installed wrong. I've been setting up guitars working on amps, and installing and modifying pickups for rock, blues and early metal for decades. Nothing is wired wrong, I've tried 250 and 300k pots, different caps, strings, picks, guitars, amps, pedals, cords, pickups etc.

This is just my first foray into pure shred, and I think I just didn't understand how those classic shredders were EQ'ing their amps and boosting their signals.
Nobody said, or eluded, that you did anything wrong. If you've been doing this for decades you must know that some guitars will react in unwanted ways to electronics that otherwise work great in every other guitar you've used them in. In everything I've read above you hadn't once mentioned what electronics, or their values, you've been using.

I'm sorry that my decades worth of experience with Ibanez guitars in no way compares to yours. I was only making suggestions that you may not have considered. I assure you that I WILL NOT ever make this mistake again.........good luck in the future.

Ryc
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 AM

The one thing I've noticed most neo-classical shredders do and this is coming from watching probably the best shredder in Japan, Kelly Simonz (He is an Yngwie clone):

He uses his amps for the main EQ and for effects he only uses ODs to drive the amp harder. The key is CLEAN gain with lots of punch.

Now, Steve Vai and Satch are more versatile shredders, but when you look at the more traditional shredders, everything is coming from the amp.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mertay, that is making a lot of sense now that I have fiddled around with the EQ and pedals a lot more. Do I also need to invest in an equalizer pedal?
There are always options but an eq pedal to me is a tweakable preamp pedal in your case it can be used to go from distorted ritm to screaming solo sound.

This can I guess be done with a dist. pedal too but when selecting the equipment it would make sense to think stage performance like so everything must work fast and easy.

If possible, when going shopping make the tests with your gear like take your pedals with you to the store cause no-one can give you exact details whats needed.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm sorry that my decades worth of experience with Ibanez guitars in no way compares to yours. I was only making suggestions that you may not have considered. I assure you that I WILL NOT ever make this mistake again.........good luck in the future.
Ryc
I wasn't trying to say anything to offend anyone RGT, I've just been working on trying to get this guitar set up for several months and have probably done over 25 mods on it (pickups, wiring, pots, caps, strings, setups etc) and I didn't want to spend a lot of time rehashing things I have already ruled out long ago as the source of the problem. I feel confident that it is not a wiring, guitar setup, or pickup problem. Sorry I seem to have offended you.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Tone Zone and PAF Pro, no questions!

Tags
neck , pickup , shred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode