Neck pickup suggestion for a mahogany guitar - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Neck pickup suggestion for a mahogany guitar

Hi there,

I have a mahogany guitar with a maple neck/fingerboard and a floating floyd. I currently have a ToneZone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. I'm happy with the ToneZone, but the PAF Pro isn't doing it for me. I'm looking to get a good shred tone on the neck pickup ala Becker or Gilbert, but the PAF Pro always seems to flab out. I played a JEM DNA and I liked the neck pickup in that guitar. It got me close to what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By the way, I'm playing through a Marshall TSL100.

Thanks, Vlad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 10:42 PM

Gilbert uses a PAF Pro in the Neck. The DNA is a Breed.

Try an Evo Neck, it's modeled after the Breed II neck. Should be a good match for the TZ.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 01:51 AM

Gilbert uses the Humbucker from hell in the Neck not the Paf Pro. Try the Air Zone or Evo in the bridge is you want more grunt.

Personally I use the TZ and Air Norton in my Ash RG and I think it is a great combo.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto79
Try an Evo Neck, it's modeled after the Breed II neck
What on Earth is a Breed II ??? Evo's were availble before the Breed pickups IIRC so i'm not sure what you talking about,You have well and truley confused myself !!!

_on-topic_

If the Paf-Pro isn't quite doing it i'd look for some brighter,Less middley perhaps,Not a Breed or Evo ... Air-Zone?

Rob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 03:44 AM

Gilbert has used both Humbucker From Hell and Paf Pro pickups, as well as many other dimarzio pickups.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 06:59 AM

Rob
Quote:
What on Earth is a Breed II ??? Evo's were availble before the Breed pickups IIRC so i'm not sure what you talking about,You have well and truley confused myself !!!
I'm not sure, because I'm also confused. There was once a pickup conversation where someone was commenting on the "2-ness" of a pickup. Don't know if it was Breed 2 or Blaze 2, as that pickup never had an original (i.e. the "1"). Dimarzio renamed it to just Breed or Blaze.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
Gilbert has used both Humbucker From Hell and Paf Pro pickups, as well as many other dimarzio pickups.
I put a Humbucker from Hell and PAF Pro into my MMM1 (mahogany body) and it's a nice combo. Very, very nice clean sounds, but I think a lot of people would want something hotter in the bridge.

Tags
air norton , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , jem dna , mahogany body , maple neck , marshall tsl , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pro pickups , pro pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode