Need 91 or 92 S series MIJ HSH Wiring diagram? Ibanez pups? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Need 91 or 92 S series MIJ HSH Wiring diagram? Ibanez pups?

Hey Guys.. I was setting up my Ibanez S series MIJ that I bougth as the action was too high. Well, that turned out to be because of the shim under the neck floyd route / nut. Thanks Rich!
So, I was working on that, and looked inside the route for the pups and somehow I pulled a couple wires loose when I took out the 5 way switch out of the slot for it in the body. Didn't actually take it out of the guitar, but I can't find a correct Diagram. I found someon the Ibanez site, but they only go back to like 94 and they are mostly V pups or something else. This has the V8, V7, S1 pups.. Anyone have an older wiring diagram? Also, would it be hard to use the 5 way switch only for the two humbuckers and leave out the Single coil or would I need a three way switch to get this to work?
I looked all over the net and found loads of diagrams, but none are close to what my guitar looks like and I'm sure it's the original wiring. No sign of re wiring.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Need 91 or 92 S series MIJ HSH Wiring diagram? Ibanez pups?

Nothing in the wiring topic stickied at the top of this forum? Or the Ibanez wiring diagram part of their site? Remember your guitar has the same setup as an RG550/570. Search for that.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I will check it out Lone. Thanks so much..
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean when you say "Nothing in the wiring topic stickied at the top of this forum?
Thanks so much
Tim
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey Lone. I looked up the 550 and 570, but they have a different 5 way switch all together. you'd think it would be the same as the later models basically. The 5 way switch is like this exactly, but wired different. See this:
http://www.ibanez.com/default.aspx?p...iringdiagrams/

The same setup except mine has the red and white wires almost totally wired on one side, except for the output wires of course. The grounds and the outputs are the same, but everything else is different. Weird to me. Same exact 5 way switch though, even down to the printing on the switch on both sides..

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Nothing in the wiring topic stickied at the top of this forum? Or the Ibanez wiring diagram part of their site? Remember your guitar has the same setup as an RG550/570. Search for that.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, it's a 1993 S470BK not a 91 or 92.. You can see a pic of it at:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1993/s_3.jpg
Anyway, you'd think the 94 wiring diagram would be the same, but it's not even close as far as I can tell.. Unless the 5 way switch is throwing me off.. That's an odd switch to me, but normally one has more room in the route, and I'm wondering if that's why they went with that route. I might have to just write up my Dimarzio in the bridge only for now and take it to a tech later when I get the Duncan Blackout Preamp Volume knob for all the pups then to be active since I really like that duncan blackout in my strat. I hope the route has enough room. Those guitars are so thin. I don't want to have to remove wood or anything.
Tim

Thanks
Tim
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 120

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/re...ble-85986.html

So the wiring diagram here wouldn't work? Try it, the red and whites may be around the other way. I think the colours changed at some point. You'll know it when you hear it though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 PM

What switch do you ave in there?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey Lone.

Mine isn't like this one you referenced below. Mine is more like, or similar to this:http://www.ibanez.com/default.aspx?p...iringdiagrams/ except, the wires are sodered onto completely different lugs on the SAME switch? I noticed that if you look at several of these diagrams, they typically are about the same. The red and and white wires typically go to the switch and ground to the back of the pots, etc, but MY wires all go on one side of the switch . The side that has the print that says VLX91 I think it is.
I sodered my wires back on basically what I thought should work. I'm pretty good at installing pups since I've done it several times and understand it. I'm thinking maybe my Input jack went bad, because I'd had some problems with it a little before where it would cut out as I inserted the cord. At first I thought it was the cord, but I ruled that out with another guitar..

So, If I don't come up with an answer on here, I'm going to try and just wire one bridge pup up with my Dimarzio PAF pro and see if that works. If not, then I'm almost sure it's the input jack and I'll just take the thing to the Tech in Indy and have them do the install on a new Duncan Blackout Module Preamp / Volume knob or whatever the thing is called if it will work. I wrote duncan now three times and they are not that good about emailing one back, or haven't been with me. If you call them you can get a good response.

I'm worried that the preamp / modular blackout volume knob will be too tall to work in the very thin S series body with the route. It's like 1/2 thick at the edge of the S series, and can't be more than 3/4" route deep for the pups, etc,. So, I'm wondering if they have a volume knob / preamp that will work with this guitar.. I'll be bummed if they don't, but just will start from scratch and probably go with a set of Dimarzio's.. Just don't know what set I want that will keep up with my blackouts and my EMG's in my other guitars. I also like actives for their ability to keep noise to a minimum and for the ability best of all to keep me from getting my ass shocked! lol.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/re...ble-85986.html

So the wiring diagram here wouldn't work? Try it, the red and whites may be around the other way. I think the colours changed at some point. You'll know it when you hear it though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 1

If I get this right, this might be what you're looking for?

However this might help you later on.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey Tony. Thanks, but mine isn't wired like this one either. I've seen it..from the Ibanez support diagrams site. I'll take a pic later and post it.. Thanks guys..

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777 View Post
If I get this right, this might be what you're looking for?

However this might help you later on.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys.. Here's some pics of this thing if I can get them posted. If not, I'll try again. As you can see in the pics, I wrote some stuff on them instead of trying to ask the questions here.. Hope this helps explain..
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Switch2.jpg (93.0 KB, 1 views)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I have two more images, but don't have enough upload room to show them.. Anyway, I hope that helps..

All of the wires except the red one that seems to have come loose were on the one side of the switch (as shown in this phote uploaded by me) when I opened the wiring. These two reds and white wires seem to be the humbuckers.

If you look at the switch as the diagram that Tony uploaded on this thread shows it has two sides and wires are attached to both sides. Mine isn't like this at all, unless the red wire that I can't figure out where it goes was on the other side, but even then it woudln't look like the diagram. However, on the other side there is some soder connecting lugs it seems. Maybe this isn't a factory wiring or something? I bought gutiar used of course, but it was working fine when I tried it before opening the wiring.. YIKES! LOL

The wire that's loose seems to be the mid single coil. ? Just a guess on my part though..

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. No sound, Just hum..
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 1

The loose red wire is the hot wire for the middle single coil. If you turn the switch around to the side where the VLX91 is engraved, there should be three lugs that are connected where the red wire must be soldered. And the common lug has to go to hot. (ie volume pot output)

PS! it doesn't matter which side you solder on this switch, all the four rows of lugs works the same way, so if it happens that your guitar is soldered mainly on the side that says otax, another on could easily be on the VLX side.
on the Ibanez switch the "0" is replaced with a "C" which means common.

So if you want to know more of what does what on your guitar.
Look at the picture.
The upper left red wire is the hot for the bridge humbucker and has to be wired to the two lugs. 4&5
Then the next red wire is the hot for the neck humbucker which has to go to lugs 1&2
Common goes to hot (output for volume pot)
The white wires on lugs 2&4 on the right side, are the humbucker split wires.
That's why you see the common goes to ground.
Therefore you will need to solder the red wire for the middle single coil on the other side of the switch. So you can get the sound of a single coil in position three, and along with the humbuckers in position 2&4.

PPS!
Since you're now schooled, Look at the Ibanez wiring diagram, can you find what's missing on the wiring?
Good luck
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Tony. Thanks so much. you rocik. I'll figure it out sir..
Tim
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Hey Tony. I can't tell by the diagram with the lugs you have above, but I understand where the wires go and I soldered the red single where it should go on the opposite side and no luck. I'm getting no sound at all? I made sure everything else seems to be ok.. Weird.. Could it be since I was having some problems with the input jack originally.. I mean by that, that I had to move around the cord to get it to work, that it is messed up? However, the same cord on another guitar and same setup works perfectly! This is my last try, or I'm going to need rogaine! LOL.. Pulling my hair out man.. I just want to play guitar..lol, but we don't have a tech close to my rural area. Closest is about 75 miles..So, I might just wire up a dimarzio hum in the bridge to at least allow me to play it, and I can by pass all the switch stuff.> Then if it doesn't work, I'll know it has to be the input jack, because I can do that wiring easy! hehe..
Tim

Tags
hsh , s series , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode