Need advice - pickups for RG 350MYE - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Need advice - pickups for RG 350MYE

Hi guys

Picked up a 2nd hand RG 350MYE and need to replace the stock INF pickups. I've read the sticky and have tried to give proper responses:

1. What type of music do you like? Satriani, Petrucci, Vai, Dream Theatre, Iron Maiden, RHCP, Dire Straits, Muse, Van Halen, etc. I like a good heavy distortion sound, but also a nice clean sound (I don't like the clean sound that Vai has for some reason)
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? Line 6 Spider III amp
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? Ibanez RG 350 MYE - stock pickups currently, Edge III tremolo, maple bridge, 5 tone selector.
A. Is it a trem or hardtail? Trem
B. maple or rosewood board? Maple
C. how many frets? 24
D. what controls are on it? 5 way switch, 1 tone, 1 volume
E. What type of wood is you body made from? Maple (I think)
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard? direct mounted I believe. You can find RG350MYE specs on the net.
Other questions:
1. Why are you changing your pickups? Because the guitar is 2nd hand and the pickups have had better days.

2. Are you looking for any particular brand, and if so...Why? DiMarzio - Petrucci uses them and I like his sound, plus its used by some of the greats (Vai, Petrucci,

I'll be getting a guitar technician to replace it for me...and will probably purchase it off eBay or something, but there's so many to choose from.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Need advice - pickups for RG 350MYE

Vintage Petrucci - Tone Zone and Humbucker from Hell
Classic Petrucci - Steve's Special and Air Norton
New Petrucci - Crunchlab and Liquifire.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

sweet, thanks mate. I'm leaning towards Tone Zone and Air Norton...just need to find a mid pup.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 PM

blue velvet or ISCV2, those are AMAZING as true single coils
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 PM

I have exactly the same problem right now, i have a rg770 with oem ewwie pickups and i want to change them.

I will put a ISCV2 in the middle, a Evo Neck in the neck and i still need a bridge humbucker.

Both humbuckers will be coil tappable from volume (for the neck) and tone (for the bridge) with a Push/pull Pot.

I have almost the same taste for sounds. any advices for Bridge? I was thinking about D-Activator
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Vintage Petrucci - Tone Zone and Humbucker from Hell
Classic Petrucci - Steve's Special and Air Norton
New Petrucci - Crunchlab and Liquifire.
+1 I love his tone while he still uses tone zone back then.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM

The Tone Zone is not a classic sounding pickup at all.
The PAF Pro is the most classic sound pickup Dimarzio has.

Do what I did with my RG350MYE.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Who says tone zone is classic sounding
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~ View Post
I have exactly the same problem right now, i have a rg770 with oem ewwie pickups and i want to change them.

I will put a ISCV2 in the middle, a Evo Neck in the neck and i still need a bridge humbucker.

Both humbuckers will be coil tappable from volume (for the neck) and tone (for the bridge) with a Push/pull Pot.

I have almost the same taste for sounds. any advices for Bridge? I was thinking about D-Activator
Evo 2. If you're going the evo route, the Evo 2 is absolutely amazing. I also recommend the gravity storm bridge. That thing isn't overpowering and easily manipulated due to its lower output from the Evos (1 and 2).
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 AM

I'm a big fan of evo2, I'll second that. But evos aren't for everybody even the sequel of evo
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I defintely prefer the original Evo bridge over the Evo2.

The Evo 2 is like they took everything about the original Evo and then dialled it back a notch and said "careful guys, not too much, you might hurt yourselves". I think because of this, the Evo 2 is perhaps a more versatile pickup, but it doesn't do the "Evo thing" as well as the original Evo does, so I definitely see it as a compromise.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I defintely prefer the original Evo bridge over the Evo2.

The Evo 2 is like they took everything about the original Evo and then dialled it back a notch and said "careful guys, not too much, you might hurt yourselves". I think because of this, the Evo 2 is perhaps a more versatile pickup, but it doesn't do the "Evo thing" as well as the original Evo does, so I definitely see it as a compromise.
I agree actually, but still if you A/B between original and the sequel evo you will notice the nasally mids aren't there anymore but still the evo2 do sound a bit in terms of characteristic is there but less nasally. IMO the evo and sequel evo are totally two different beast. Still I prefer the evo2 when the volume roll down and sounded somewhat cleaner compared to the original evo. But still when compared to the likes of breed, tone zone, At1, paf pro, or some other dimarzio line the original evo and evo2 is still edgy compared to the rest.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM

Breeds and an HS-2... I have this in 4 RGs....killer combo.....
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
Breeds and an HS-2... I have this in 4 RGs....killer combo.....
I have a breed bridge with yjm now a HS4, the volume level between yjm and breed just terribly suck. How do you cope with the volume dropout between the two?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
I have a breed bridge with yjm now a HS4, the volume level between yjm and breed just terribly suck. How do you cope with the volume dropout between the two?
Yeah your right, there is a big volume difference,..... To be honest, when I play live, I dont use the single in any position due to this..... I only use it for recording..... Anyone know of a way to boost the single coil sound?

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez rg 350mye , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode