Need answers regarding pickup orientation - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Need answers regarding pickup orientation

So I recently installed new pickups in my Rg, Evolution neck and Evo2 bridge and I had order a special color scheme. white closest to neck on neck pick up and white closest to bridge on bridge pickup. I wired it the same way as the old pickups (it's a H-S-H guitar)...

but... then I realized both cables from the pickups come out towards the bridge (instead of the neck pickup cable come out to the neck).

Does that mean that I have

Neck
Neck outer coil/middle
Middle
Bridge inner coil/middle
Bridge

?

Instead of the usual Neck inner/middle and if so, how big difference is it?

Also could this cause any other issuses or is it good to go?

Thanks in advance for any information about this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Re: Need answers regarding pickup orientation

Dimarzio neck pickups in the H-S-H config will have the wire going away from the knobs, up towards you when holding the guitar.

In a two humbucker guitar the wire goes down towards the knobs.

Right now the neck pickup is wired in a chain like this-

Green(ground) White/Black(connected two the switch for coil tapping) Red(hot to switch)

This way the coil using the Red and Black wire stays on when tapped.

You could try wiring it so the other coil stays on.

Black(ground) Red/Green(connected two the switch for coil tapping) White(hot on switch)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Dimarzio neck pickups in the H-S-H config will have the wire going away from the knobs, up towards you when holding the guitar.

In a two humbucker guitar the wire goes down towards the knobs.
That is usually right but not always. In fact other than getting the color orientation the way you want it, there's no reason to reverse the neck pickup most of the time.

With an Evo or Evo 2 (or a PAF Pro), there is no difference to having the pickup installed either direction. You would generally only flip it if you're doing zebra pickups.

DiMarzio will regularly make pickups with wires coming out on the opposite side from where you would normally expect it to be. I had an F2 in a guitar where the wire came out of the upper left hand corner for the bridge pickup.

The only time pickup orientation matters with humbuckers is if the pole pieces are different on either side of the pickup, like a Tone Zone or Air Norton.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
That is usually right but not always. In fact other than getting the color orientation the way you want it, there's no reason to reverse the neck pickup most of the time.

With an Evo or Evo 2 (or a PAF Pro), there is no difference to having the pickup installed either direction. You would generally only flip it if you're doing zebra pickups.

DiMarzio will regularly make pickups with wires coming out on the opposite side from where you would normally expect it to be. I had an F2 in a guitar where the wire came out of the upper left hand corner for the bridge pickup.

The only time pickup orientation matters with humbuckers is if the pole pieces are different on either side of the pickup, like a Tone Zone or Air Norton.
Factory pickups that come in Ibanez guitars are not following the same rules as aftermarket pickups that come in boxes.

If you don't flip it the wrong coil will be active.
Or you need to change the wiring if you can't flip it because of a two color humbucker.

You can get the colors either way when you order from Dimarzio.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, I emailed Dimarzio tech support and here's what they said; (regarding not flipping the neck pickup)

"The only thing it affects is position 2. This position normally selects the neck inner coil. Selecting the outer coil instead changes the tone of this position, but itís a pretty subtle change, and a number of players prefer it to the standard direction. Changing the wiring will not work, because it will put the pickups out of phase."

So I'll just leave it as it is... I will definitely think about this the next time I order pick-ups with multi color.

So what I should have done is ordered both pickups with white closest to the bridge and then flipped the neck pick-up to get what I wanted.

Anyway I'm really pleased with the pickups and the colors!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Great to hear you've got it all set.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot about positions 2 and 4. I never use those so it didn't occur to me LOL.

Tags
pick up orientation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode