Need Bridge PU Suggestions! (Tried several Dimarzio) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Need Bridge PU Suggestions! (Tried several Dimarzio)

I've tried several Dimarzio pickups in the bridge of my mahogany RG3120 with maple top, most recently I have an EVO2 which is ok but hasn't grown on me. I love the harmonics that jump out but I just can't over this strange high mid boost that doesn't sound right at all with this guitar.

I've tried a Norton which was great it just didn't have quite the output. I liked the Tone Zone for heavier stuff but it had too much of a lower mid boost (diff frequency than the EVO2) for solos and also didn't clean up very well, it was more of a one trick pony for me, great for heavy stuff.

I'm open for suggestions but I really want something within the next week. FYI my rig is basically a Mesa Mark V to a recto vertical 2x12.

Please help!

BTW, there will be an EVO2 up for grabs soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Re: Need Bridge PU Suggestions! (Tried several Dimarzio)

I take it you've tried a Super Distortion?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

No I haven't but that's a real high output pickup. Can it clean up? How would you describe it? Also, I'm seeing a trend in that I like the overall sound of the Alnico 5 in humbuckers vs ceramic.

Anyone try a Breed? I'm afraid of that huge mid boost they show on their website but I've heard many good things about it. Also worried it might be too muddy in my guitar...
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 120

I reckon the new DiMarzio Dominion would be right up your alley. I consider the Dominion a more articulate, perfected Tone Zone. Not quite as low end prominent, awesome harmonics, fast attack. Great sounding when split, cleans up nicely with the volume knob rolled back too.

It was designed for Mark Morton of Lamb of God. He uses Mesa, and mahogany bodied guitars. Should be perfect for you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Also check out the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells, I put a pair in my all Mahogany Patrick Eggle and although they are classed as high output they clean up beautifully (demo here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_tnOFRowug)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I second LP's suggestion of a Dominion.
You never told us what sound you're after or the gear you're using.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Guitarnoize I'll check em out, heard good things about them before.

The dominion looks interesting! Definitely would like to hear more opinions. Only thing that worries me is high mid it shows on website.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Btw, I'm looking for a sound that is organic yet modern, can do heavy but also clean up. Like I said, the Norton was killer, just wish it had a little more output.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilln2music View Post
Anyone try a Breed? I'm afraid of that huge mid boost they show on their website but I've heard many good things about it. Also worried it might be too muddy in my guitar...
I have a Breed in the bridge slot of my RG560. It has a very fat sound with just enough highs (not muddy). I like it cause it compliments the single coils in the 560. But if you feel your guitar is naturally dark - The Breed won't help matters.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilln2music View Post
Btw, I'm looking for a sound that is organic yet modern, can do heavy but also clean up. Like I said, the Norton was killer, just wish it had a little more output.
That's the Dominion bridge
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 10

my two cents - don't forget about the good old tried and true best selling bridge pup of all time - the Duncan JB...you said you really liked the Norton and I think a JB should get you close to a Norton with more output...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM

500XL! or a Super Distortion
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Reviews: 18

I would try a Dimarzio Steve's Special:

Steve’s Special™ DP161
Treble: 6.5 Mid: 4.5 Bass: 7.5
Ouput: 390

According to the ratings, it should take away the mid boost that you don't want, keeping the highs and bass at higher levels, while providing a decent output.

Jimmy
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Well guys I installed a Dominion bridge this evening and... this pickup is awesome! Perfect suggestion LonePhantom thanks! The mids are in the perfect spot and sound great for rhythm and solo work. It cleans up nicely too. I have a PAF Pro in neck and with split inside coils clean tone is great. Even full on bridge clean gives a good sound.

The thing I like about this pickup is it's actually quite neutral sounding. Yes the mids are boosted, but in a sweeter spot compared to the Tone Zone and definitely better than the EVO2 for my guitar. Because of this the pickup is far more versatile than the Tone Zone as well. The overall tone is darker than the EVO2 but not at all muddy like the Tone Zone can get in mahogany. The ceramic magnet does make it more "immediate" in response to your playing than the Alnico in the Norton. Even though the Norton and Dominion are very close in terms of output (Dominion just slightly higher), I'm able to drive my amp and get a huge rhythm sound I could never get from the Norton. The Norton also tended to have a slight nasal tone compared to the fuller sound from the Dominion.

The difference between the EVO2 and the Dominion are night and day. The EVO2 was thin sounding in comparison with loose nasally mids. It just didn't work in my guitar. I would go so far as to say it is the best bridge pickup I've played from Dimarzio hands down. I know it's new, but do yourself a favor and check it out. Perfect balance of power and tone!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 AM

Awesome, glad it worked out for you.

Tags
bridge pickup , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode