Need Help!! Evo Jem Capacitors - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need Help!! Evo Jem Capacitors

Hi! I have a wiring project on my Ibanez guitar in which i want to follow Steve Vai's Evo Jem wiring diagram. I managed to acquire everything from Dimarzio Evolution pickup to barrel jack, the only thing that i didn't have is the 331(330pf) ceramic capacitor for volume, i cant't seem to find on ebay & amazon the one that the Evo has with a label "331K with B above it". Im planning to buy this (right photo):

still it is 330pf but the tolerance is not the same its "M" while the evo has "K". As far as I know, voltage does not matter for guitar voltage is very low (am i right?) but i know nothing about the tolerance, if it affects the tone or not. And i dont know if what "CM" represents.

Please guide me about this matter or to where to buy exactly the same as evo have (left side photo).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Actually Evo now has The Mad Hatter Terminator kit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Need Help!! Evo Jem Capacitors

^ correct as of a few weeks ago
https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/pages/terminator

K is 10% tolerance
M is 20% tolerance

each of us hear different things so i won't comment on what people hear and believe they hear. the std JEM capacitor would suffice for me (or the dimarzio equivalent) whatever is easier to obtain. good luck.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
^ correct as of a few weeks ago
https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/pages/terminator

K is 10% tolerance
M is 20% tolerance

each of us hear different things so i won't comment on what people hear and believe they hear. the std JEM capacitor would suffice for me (or the dimarzio equivalent) whatever is easier to obtain. good luck.
yeahh, I also happen to came across with that madhatterguitar_Terminator-EVO. I was thinking to buy one, in fact jut now- I've posted a thread regarding this product for further opinion to help me decide to purchase. What do you think of it bro?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

I am also looking to get that madhatter kit. The VLX91 in my Jem is broken anyway. The original plan was just going to be a dimarzio 5 way, until I saw that video for the terminator.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

If ever you purchased the kit bro! Please inform me about the result, i need more overview on this matter.. Thank you.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 AM

Yeah man, no problem. I hate having to remove the bridge/strings enough as it is and possibly enjoy soldering even less. So that work will be stacked with a locking stud mod.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Anthony G. and those guys are a knowledgeable crew.

I'd buy that kit before cobbling up parts & wiring up things new without a second thought. If for anything convenience and to support innovation. The sound my ears aren't that good (i can't tell Duracell from Energizer batteries in pedals).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

We all know that its not the same, so we're asking on what's the diferrence or if its really matter or not.. thanks for the reply though.. :P
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM

So I have the kit in hand now, but not installed yet. Maybe I'll find some time to make a recording to A/B, the before and after.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
So I have the kit in hand now, but not installed yet. Maybe I'll find some time to make a recording to A/B, the before and after.
Are you satisfied with this kit if you installed it? Did you notice any change in tone quality?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 PM

I got one of these kits a few months back for a 1527 that i gave up trying to install after 3 hours. The connections kept coming apart for me and i couldn't get the push/pull tone pot to fit in the cavity with all the wiring. Might've worked if i got the kit with the regular tone pot and/or had more patience. I thought it'd be easier than busting out the soldering iron but it proved to be just as frustrating for me. Admittedly, I do suck at this sorta $h!te so i'm probably not the best example, but that was my experience.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
So did you have any better luck than Leviathus in wiring this up in your guitar?

Tags
.022uf , 331pf , capacitors , evo , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in