Need help identifying a Dimarzio pickup - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Need help identifying a Dimarzio pickup

Hi guys, Dimarzio gurus,

I'm into extreme metal and I'm use to select pickups that usually have a high resistance.

Just bought a Japanese B.C. Rich from the mid 90s and this Dimarzio pickup was in it (I doubt it's the original pup as they originally came with BCR pickups)

With a DC output of 9.13K, I'm shocked to realize how amazingly this pickup respond to my style and playing.. Is it old? I need to know what it is!

Humbucker
Hex Poles
The back is flat. No pole screws are out of the body
Flat head screws on the back *

Solid Ground wire **

Red + Black D.C. : 4.55K
Green + White D.C. : 4.57K
Total D.C. : 9.13K

* I may be wrong but I noticed newer Dimarzio pickups use Phillips screws on the back compared to flat head screws for older pickups?
** Again, I think newer pickups have braided ground wire compared to solid ground wire for older pickups

Please don't tell me it's a Super Distortion or a Tone Zone because obviously it isn't (9.13K output, right?)

Thanks a million for your help! I need to identify this Pup as I want to buy a few for some of my guitars. Right now it is sitting in my Hamer Centaura USA 1990 and it is just perfect!

Any hint is appreciated, I'm on the hunt!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 PM

It looks like and has exactly the same DCR as my D-activator neck pickup, the bridge version reads 11k for comparison if that helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:52 PM

Re: Need help identifying a Dimarzio pickup

could be a fred, maybe steve morse model? what does it sound like ? does it have a pronounced mid range ? The older Dimarzios aren't stamped and some OEM models weren't stamped either.

It is hard to tell without a description of it's sound.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
could be a fred, maybe steve morse model? what does it sound like ? does it have a pronounced mid range ? The older Dimarzios aren't stamped and some OEM models weren't stamped either.

It is hard to tell without a description of it's sound.

Well, based on the description you gave of the FRED and about what I read it may very well be it or something very similar.

My best pickup overall so far is (was) the JB. But the bottom can be a bit sloppy sometimes.. The unknown Dimarzio has upper mids, tighter bottom, pristine highs with a very good notes separation.

In comparison, the only other Dimarzio I have is an Evolution one and I really don't like it. Seems to me that it's like it is trying too hard or pushing too hard and turns a bit artificial when heavily overdriven.

I use a JRockett Archer Silver to take my 85' JCM 800 2203 in Death Metal territory and the [Unknown] Dimarzio is just a perfect balance of everything.

I will be able to tell you more about the FRED as I ordered one and should receive it in the next few days. I will install it it a 1985 B.C. Rich ST-III with Alder body. I have the feeling the match will be perfect.

Thanks for the hints
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 PM

i am going to guess an old super 2
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
i am going to guess an old super 2
also a good guess . i had forgot about the super 2. The super series has a pretty unique feel to them as well. i like the original, the 2 was cool and i wasn't a fan of the 3. The 3 was way too dark and had a weird low end response with the highs being too subdued.

Tags
dimarzio , help needed , identification , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode