Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need help wiring!!

Tags
wiring
3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  FireEagle 
#1 ·
I have a set of power sound humbuckers, 3 wires: white, red and bare.

I want to run them but coil tap them through an on off switch and have a 3 way selector.

How can I achieve this without a push/pull potentiometer??

#3 ·
On the Powersound pickups, the red wire is the coil tap. You need to ground it out, most of the time this is easier to do with a push/pull pot than to add a little toggle switch somewhere.
What kind of guitar are they going in? I mean, it's a lot different if you are putting them in a Les Paul or an RG or Strat type.

There is a wiring diagram on Ibanez's site:

Ibanez.com | Wiring Diagrams

Select "guitar", 2004, & GAX30... It has the Powersound pickups, a 3-way, and vol/tone. All you have to do is ground out the red wires in the diagram, either by a little toggle switch or a push/pull pot wired to the back of the volume pot where the other grounds attach.

Hope this helps!!

#4 ·
Thank you!!!! I tried the Ibanez search on my phone and it wouldn't bring up any models. This is going into (came out of) a 2003 S470. The guitar was beat when I got it; broken neck, missing tremolo pieces and I let it sit for a few years. Well... now I have depleted most of my collection (minus the projects, restorations and builds), and have an urge to play something unlike anything.

This one will be hardtailed, the neck is a Strat style, I pulled the wiring and decided to take these and coil tap them, but with an on/off switch. Basically, this is going to be a very spare parts build. I sold the tremolo and that paid for the guitar itself. So for under $20 (need some scrap wood, paint and strings) I'm going to run a straight Frankenstein style, no investment bad-ass-o-caster.

Since the body had seen better days, I don't feel bad doing this to it. I also have A few more in the planning as well. Just have fun with it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.