Need help wiring a 2C pickup on a 5 way RG switch! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Need help wiring a 2C pickup on a 5 way RG switch!

So just this week I finally got my dream guitar, an early '87 RG550. It has some DiMarzio PAF Pros in it right now, they sound pretty good, but I have a Duncan Custom shop '78 that I really want to put in the guitar, but the pickup has 2 Conductor wire on it. I'm thinking of pairing this with a Duncan '59 neck which also has 2C wire. Does anyone know how to or if it's possible to wire 2 conductor humbuckers on a 5 way switch? If I'm thinking about this correctly, the 2nd and 4th positions should have the single coil and full series neck or bridge 'bucker, instead of splitting them, right? Or is this impossible? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Re: Need help wiring a 2C pickup on a 5 way RG switch!

so we are clear you say 2 conductor, do you mean it has a single wire and shielding or a red/white or black/white or black/red with the ground ?

if it is a true vintage style pickup with a braid and cloth with a single conductor you won't be able to split the pickup without taking the pickup apart and adding a tap to the north start/south finish (or the other way around ). In this case the central conductor would be your "hot" and would go to the same location as the dimarzio's red wire. the braid would go to the same location as the dimarzio's green/bare wires. If the switch is set up to split the dimarzios you'll need to jumper the lug that has the dimarzio's black and white wires soldered to it, to the lug that has the red wire soldered to it.

if you have more than a single conductor coming out of the pickup like a black and white wire or whatever two colors. Seymour duncan usually uses green or black for "hot" depending on the pickup orientation. so if you have a green or black make that go to the dimarizio's red wire. the other color wire which is probably red or white needs to go to the same location as your dimarzio's black/white wire. Then the bare wire or braid gets grounded to the same place as the green/bare from the dimarzios.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMaster View Post
So just this week I finally got my dream guitar, an early '87 RG550. It has some DiMarzio PAF Pros in it right now, they sound pretty good, but I have a Duncan Custom shop '78 that I really want to put in the guitar, but the pickup has 2 Conductor wire on it. I'm thinking of pairing this with a Duncan '59 neck which also has 2C wire. Does anyone know how to or if it's possible to wire 2 conductor humbuckers on a 5 way switch? If I'm thinking about this correctly, the 2nd and 4th positions should have the single coil and full series neck or bridge 'bucker, instead of splitting them, right? Or is this impossible? Thanks!
Your non-splittable vintage humbuckers will sound terrible with the middle single coil, frankly it's just a bad idea, you should stick with the PAF Pros and use the vintage stuff in a suitable HH guitar, not an HSH like the RG550. It's not a Les Paul and will never sound like one no matter what pickups you fit.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Your non-splittable vintage humbuckers will sound terrible with the middle single coil, frankly it's just a bad idea, you should stick with the PAF Pros and use the vintage stuff in a suitable HH guitar, not an HSH like the RG550. It's not a Les Paul and will never sound like one no matter what pickups you fit.
Yeah, the more I mull it over in my head, I realize its probably a bad idea. I just had the pickup hanging around and figured I wanted to do something with it 'cause I really want to know how it sounds lol. I have another RG that's an HH but I really love the Custom Custom in the bridge position and I don't feel like swapping it out just to mess around. I might go with my original plan of building a single pickup strat body at some point still. Or, maybe just drop the cash on a Les Paul. The PAF Pros sound great, don't get me wrong, I'm just prone to having crazy ideas sometimes!

Tags
humbucker , ibanez , rg550 , switch , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode