need neck pup for late 70s early 80s hard rock heavy metal - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

need neck pup for late 70s early 80s hard rock heavy metal

Hello
And thank you for your time.

I need help at choosing a neck pick up.
I mailed like three time DiMarzio about choosing a neck pup, i just can't deside and thats why I need your help and I hope this post will help me. Also sorry about my English it's not my native language.
First of all my gear is an Ibanez RG350DX and my amp a VOX VT40+ without using any pedals or anything like this. I changed the bridge pup into a Evo 2 recently and it's not exactly what I am looking for but I won't change it for now. But there is going a Super Distortion eventualy in the future. So what I am saying is that I want a neck pup that is going to work well with a Super Distortion but works somehow well with the Evo 2 too cause i dont know when i will have the money to change the Evo 2. If it doesnt match with the Evo 2 i doesnt matter but i would be glad if it did so I won't be in a hurry about change it and have my time to gather the money for the Super Distortion.
The sound I am looking for is an late 70s early 80s hard rock heavy metal sound. Some sounds I realy like are, Randy Rhoads on the Diary Of A Madman album, Malmsteen's sound on Marching Out and Van Halen's sound on the Van Halen album.
If I try to describe it somehow, I would say a sound that's everywhere, all around, like its flying with 200 kmh and killing people by penetrating them , agressive but not the new metalcore agressive, the old school hard rock agressive. I dont know the words to describe it any further xaxa.

Thank you

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Re: need neck pup for late 70s early 80s hard rock heavy metal

DiMarzio PAF Pro with a coil split switch.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Reviews: 2

Hey Mike, I think your problem AND solution lie in your amp. The 40+ is capable of such an amazingly wide array of tones, FX, and models that it can be overwhelming. I think that the sound your looking for is in your amp....... not in a set of pickups. I think the best choice for a bridge pickup AND the music you looking to play is the EVO2 you already have. It is very mid heavy with even response on the high and low end. Midrange and maybe high mids is where the secret "diary" sound is. Anything EVH is very mid heavy.

I think the Super Distortion is a step in the wrong direction with it's boosted low end. If you CAN'T find your sound with the EVO2, I'd look more into the Gravity Storm or Dominion sets. They're both more in line with your needs.

Again, the biggest thing is to spend a LOT more time experimenting with your amp. It can do what you want.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM

PAF Pro is the ****!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your response RGT.
the main question was about the neck pick up but the brisge interested me to just not for now does the paf pro do a good combo with the evo 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I think your problem AND solution lie in your amp. The 40+ is capable of such an amazingly wide array of tones, FX, and models that it can be overwhelming.
well its true i never took the time to experiment with my amp in depth but there are just to many knobs xaxaxa. no ok i am just kidding i realy didnt take the time but i find sounds wich are comfortable playing with but i dont realy want one of them to be my main sound and then i find sounds with wich its a bit harder to play but sound good but still not "the sound" i want i will try to add any efect on some chanel it might do the trick

i already ordered the evolution neck about 3 weeks ago and changed my mind before a couple days and i will cancel the order and probably get the paf pro i am just afraid about it cause of the low output its not like i want a high gain sound its just i dont have any expirience with pick ups and dont know how much gain 300 output is but i think for the neck position it will work
i thought about the paf pro for the bridge too before i changed to the evo2 but 300 output by judging by the output lvls of the others pick ups i think is to low for bridge for hard rock/ heavy metal
tell me if i am wrong at something i am still young and i dont know much
thnk you for your time
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 120

Lower the Evo 2 a little so its not so close to the strings. That'll lower its output a bit which will help.

Put a PAF Pro in the neck, that'll go nicely with the Evo 2, and give you the sort of tones you want.

Use the UK Rock SPL or CST models to get your base sound. Either of those should do what you want. If you aren't able to get quite enough crunch then add the TUBE OD to the patch, and adjust to taste. This stuff should most definitely get you where you want.

Always set the EQ controls to twelve o'clock first and tweak from there. Don't pay attention to where the knobs sit and where you think they should sit. Use your ears to find your sound. As a general rule don't scoop the mids, as the sounds you are looking for aren't mid scooped, they are boosted. But again, use your ears to work out what you like. You'll get there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

the evo2 is already prety low, i am already convinced that my amp setings are the problem and i will expiriment with them the moment i go home and order a paf pro tomorow and hope it will come soon thank you for your help guys
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 PM

did Eddie or Randy ever use a neck pickup??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
Eddie uses them in his solos iirc. I know most heavy metal guitarists dont really use anything besides their bridge pup though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Eddie uses them in his solos iirc. I know most heavy metal guitarists dont really use anything besides their bridge pup though.
Maybe later in his career, but all the stuff that made him famous was with a single humbucker in the bridge.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
not that I'm aware of...........
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Dimarzio Super2 or 3.

Tags
earlly 80s , hard rock , heavy metal , late 70s , pick up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode