Need pickup suggestion for SD in J-custom (for 80's metal) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Need pickup suggestion for SD in J-custom (for 80's metal)

Recently I scored a very nice J-custom, model RG8420ZD. It has a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 TB-14 in the bridge. Body is mahogany (flamed maple top) and rosewood fretboard.

The SD TB-14 is nice pickup, but I want a bit more agression in my sound. I'm really into 80's metal (think of Metallica, Slayer, King Diamond etc.). My amp is a Soldano Avenger.

This guitar is only suited for passive pickups, so EMG's do not fit. I'm not looking for overpowered pickups like the X2N or Invader. My goal is to have an agressive attack, yet tight and articulate. The SD TB-14 gets me close (in my gear), but I need that little bit extra. What passive pickup do you recommend?

I was thinking Duncan Distortion, JB or the ALternative 8 SH-15? Suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited by -laurens-; 03-19-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Re: Need pickup suggestion for SD in J-custom (for 80's metal)

Considering the different routing for Seymour Duncan pickups, I'd seriously consider BKP's instead.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Considering the different routing for Seymour Duncan pickups, I'd seriously consider BKP's instead.
They are more expensive, but certainly an option. Which one would you pick?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM

The Duncan JB's are great pups especially for your application. In fact, a lot of the music influences you described were created/recorded using JB's - that was hands down the pup of choice for 80's heavy music. I've got them in bridge position on 2 vintage 80's Kramers and I love them for that application. They are a pretty versatile pup in that they are quite aggressive through a heavy distortion rig but surprisingly quite clean when you want them to be. For myself, I found they were the best compromise between these two contrasting personalities. There are certainly much heavier, more aggressive pups out there but I feel their application is more limited to a purely heavy distorted style/sound. If you wanna do ANY clean work, you need some versatility and the JB has it. It is a little muddier than my EVO's in other guitars, but has that killer bottom end crunch the EVO lacks. And personally, I like the warmer cleans it produces.

Besides which Seymour is a really cool dude and continues to wind pups himself. You can call him up & tell him the sound you're going for and he will happily custom wind you a pup to your specs without gouging your wallet. Not many down to earth craftsman like him in the biz these days. I'm lucky enough to live in Santa Barbara & have the opportunity to deal with him directly & he really is a super nice guy.

For what its worth! Best of luck in your search.

Rock on dude!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Full shred. more agressive but still controlable and articulate. imo better then the SD distortion.

Bare knuckels are also good, i do have a problem with their consistencie though.
I bought 2 calibrated sets of Nailbombs (same specs) but they dont sound alike.

(Fitted both sets in the same guitar ,same set up, and same electronics)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 2

Dimarzio Deactivator maybe?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -laurens- View Post
They are more expensive, but certainly an option. Which one would you pick?
Not for someone with J-Customs in their arsenal!

I'm in the process of buying Painkillers for my RG550. They appear to be similar to Evolutions. My 8570 will remain with Evo 2 / True Velvet / Evolution.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM

That guy was right, in that a vast majority of 80's guitars were JB or JBJ equipped. The Distortion is essentially a JB with a ceramic magnet instead of alnico. Distortions are great for metal, but dont clean up as nice as a JB.

Id say a JB, or a Screamin Demon. I also know a guy that custom winds pickups (scatterwound) that are very similar to the DiMartini RTM's, for a fraction of the price. PM me if you want to know more. Ive got one and its 80's metal mania!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Oh! Speaking of Screamin Demon... I've got one of those in the neck position with a JB bridge & love the combo!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all he input. Just to share my experience here, I tried the seymour duncan distortion and the BKP painkiller. The SD distortion is a nice pickup, has that aggressive bite going. It really is very good for my type of metal. Only downside is that it is a bit too much on the treble side. All in all, a good reference pickup for me. The BKP painkiller also has that aggressive bite but is more balanced to my ears. Just a tad smoother on the highs, which makes it my favorite so far.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM

Reviews: 20

If you think Distortion a bit too trebly, you should try the TB5 Duncan Custom..! My favorite hi-output duncan so far. Instead of buying a new pickup you can just put ceramic magnet in your TB14 to turn it into a TB5.
Compared to distortion it has less sizzle or 'hair'. It definitely sound more 'heavy' with its beefy mids and thick, very tight bass.

Last edited by bowie8889; 04-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Tags
metal , passive , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode