Need some input - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Need some input

I just recently bought an ESP LTD Fm 200. It is a really nice guitar and plays well. It has emg hz pups. And it feeds back like theres no tomorrow. I try moving away from the amp and it still does it, Now I have two there guitars and neither do it at all. One is and Rg570 and the other is a Yamaha. the Ibanez has the v7 v8 and a single coil.
Is there anything I can do to stop this, any procedure that is? Is it the EMG's that are causing this and how come? Are they hotter than normal pickups? Are they anygood? I have heard good things of them.
Also, I have a Brazilian ash petrucci model body that is my next grand adventure. I am a wee bit intimidated at all the pickups available out there. I play ametal style with a Godsmack type tone. I play clean some.
Looking for a all around good dimarzio pickup. Something versitile.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Re: Need some input

I recently bought an Ibanez guitar that feeds back with heavy distortion. I swapped out the pickups for Dimarzio's and it still feeds back. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the design of the guitar and not the pickups. Mine is a Mahogany, set neck guitar. I think your ESP is similar in design.
I know this isn't much help to you but I just wanted to point out that even if you swap pickups it may still be the same.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 PM

EMG's are excellent pups. EMG makes "active" and "passive" pickups. The HZ's are passive. Also, the LTD (by esp) aren't really ESP guitars. They are the economy models - not made in USA. (China or Korea I think) I had an LTD a few years ago. I really liked ESP so I figure I'd pick one up cheap (I think I paid $ 350 or $ 400. and maybe get something that played at least comparativley close to an ESP. To my dismay it wasnt anything like a REAL ESP. I suppose for the price it played okay. I had the exact same feedback problem (on any amp) I couldn't play with any real volume and it really annoyed the other players! I dnot know, maybe a combo of the "passive" pickup and the cheaper LTD construction? Then again, I've never proclaimed to be a super geneius in the art of guitar contruction so maybe I am not even close. I guess my advice would be to save up your money a little (or a lot) longer and get the "REAL MCCOY". It may take longer to get your paws on one but it will be well worth the wait in the end. You friends will thank you...as always......you get what you pay for
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:37 PM

tascamrd, is this microphonic feedback from the pickups or from sympathetic vibration from the strings? (ie, does it still happen if you mute all the strings?)

If it happens when the strings are muted then you may have a problem with the wiring or the pickups themselves. If not, then perhaps your pickups are too close to the strings. HZ are passive, but from what I recall they are pretty high output.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Also, the LTD (by esp) aren't really ESP guitars. They are the economy models - not made in USA. (China or Korea I think)
FYI, ESP's aren't made in America either. LTD's are Korean (and have some great models, namely the 1000 series and the higher-end signature models), and ESP's are Japanese.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocluejimbo
FYI, ESP's aren't made in America either. LTD's are Korean (and have some great models, namely the 1000 series and the higher-end signature models), and ESP's are Japanese.

Thank you for the enlightenment...why was I thinking they were American made...I think I recall seeing that somewhere back when. Also that they will make you a fresh one to your exact specs.....

PEACE:WINK:

Tags
dimarzio pickup , petrucci model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode