NEW-7 : B2 vs. N2 Volume, Output - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

NEW-7 : B2 vs. N2 Volume, Output

I just got this used RG7620 and am having problems with the electronics as I said in my other thread. I've now noticed the bridge pickup is not as loud and is much thinner than the neck pickup. I checked this clean into my 4 track, listening through phones and watching the VU meters. So it isn't my ears I saw it on the meter too. I whipped out my Universe for comparison and of course it was normal, loud bridge, slightly quieter neck. The pickups on both guitars are set-up the same height wise.

Is this how the NEW-7's are supposed to sound? I'm thinking I should just gut the electronics on this guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:34 AM

the New-7s should sound very loud and sharp, so it sounds like that humbucker is accidentally wired in parallel or with the coils out of phase. since i think we've determined in that other thread that your pickup selector might not be stock, it's possible that whoever rewired it did it wrong. [although the wiring for the stock 7620 switch and the _neck_ pickup is more complicated and more likely to cause problems].

as a test, you might try hard wiring the bridge humbucker in standard in-phase, series humbucking mode. unsolder the black and white wires from the switch and connect them for the series wrap [see http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/hum...g_options.html for color codes]. the red should be hot and the green ground, but it will work if the hot and ground are reversed [it will just change the overall phase of the pickup compared to the neck HB].

if it sounds right, the original wiring and/or switch were screwy. if it still sounds bad, maybe your pickup has different wire colors or is screwy internally.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

cool, thanks for the idea, i'll try that soon.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode