New Dimarzio for mahogany RG - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

New Dimarzio for mahogany RG

The guitar is a mahogany Ibanez RG(thinner body than my basswood RG) with a maple top and maple neck. At the moment the guitar is packed with V8/S1V7. This axe is on a bright side, with a lot of midrange presence and it lacks in lowrange/bass section(Bridge pickup). I need a very versatile H-S-H set. I play very differentiated music: clean riffs, jazz, rock and even death metal/djent. Mostly I play something in the style of Marco Sfogli, so except the rhythm guitar there's A LOT OF lead work. The bridge pickup must be bright(but not shrilly!), crunchy, vocal and have enough lowrange for rhythm and that highs for lead work which is very important. Neck pickups - a little fat but not muddy on low strings, ACCURATE and have good highs. The neck pickups must give that sweet, warm Andy Timmons tone when overdriven and also must be very accurate on a hi gain amp for shredding/sweeping. Good cleans are also expected. Middle single coil - strat like, bright, I usually use it to play with single coiled neck pickup on a clean or on a overdrive.
My bets:
Bridge: EVO2
Middle: no idea, one of the Velvets?
Neck: FRED
I'm worried that the EVO2 could be too cold,shrilly and thin sounding(is it? never heard/played it, heard only an OPINION about the Evolution 1 and it was like i wrote) and im worried that both EVO2 and FRED could be too much midrange in a midrange guitar. Your opinion? Few days ago I tested Cort mM600 guitar(PRS style, full mahogany body with maple top, a little dark sounding guitar) with Duncan JB and Jazz. The JB had good punch/bite, but for my taste it was too muddy. Rhythm riffs on it were pretty ok but for leadwork it wasn't too good. I liked Jazz in the neck, I have not played on this pickup too much, but it had good highrange and was clear/selective on both overdrive and hi gain distortion.
Some sound samples what im looking for and what i play:
youtube.com/watch?v=cYM864IOTs8 from 0:25 great neck pickup lead, accurate with enough highrange and "balls"
youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY Timmons, this song is immortal
youtube.com/watch?v=bs6IOCiZryE
youtube.com/watch?v=xnA02SSLS30 something heavier, from 1:30
I need also that kind of tone, so the guitar must have enough output (I also play a lot of that kind of tones) youtube.com/watch?v=3MPslfXqFa4

I mean to make a long story short, sorry for so much reading (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Re: New Dimarzio for mahogany RG

Norton (Not Air) for the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 PM

I have a mahogany rg520 with a norton/airnorton combo. It has been that way since 99 when I got it.
I went thru
Tone zone ....too thick. Too much bass and mids.

steve's special... nice palm muting and cleans but was missing that singing midrange

norton..... take the tonezone and remove some lows and mids and add some highs. Harmonics are crazy! I find it cleans up well enough too. Very versatile.

the Air norton.... like above but smoother. Less attack maybe? Enough has been said about this sucker.

my rg has a trem and is middy but present like yours. Not really sparkly, almost as if it is lacking the highest highs. The bass is solid and there but that middy zing is most pronounced. I play bluesrock to classic type metal btw.

good luck.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM

I modified my tonezone to an airzone on my 3120. Waaay better cleans, not big like tonezone but fat sounding and might even scream better when it was a tonezone. Simply traditionalized version of the tonezone sound we know.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 4

I have a Fred in the neck of my Mahog. RG520. I have it paired with a AT-2. Sounds great!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for answers! I was thinking about Norton but It's too low output. I think I will go EVO2 then and for neck PAF Joe. I heard that Joe is more articulated and "clear" than FRED or PAF PRO, one guy who has FRED in the neck said that it's a little too much output. So I have two questions only:
1. Could that midrange guitar with Evo2 in the bridge position have too much mids?
2. I use also neck pickup for soloing, sweeping, shreeding, will the Paf joe(neck) handle hi gain distortion?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 4

The Fred's output is fine! I don't have it up very high, though. That is also partially for tonal reasons. It's very clean, and a little single-coil like. The notes really pop out. IMO, it is great for all kinds of techniques.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

For neck - PAF PRO could be best for me... I heard many Paf joe samples and it was only good in 22 fret guitar, in mine it could be too thiny and too single coily.
Middle... True velvet?!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 PM

A norton is only 25mv lower output than an evo2 or the tone zone. That difference is negligible to actual volume and is well within the realm of height adjustment to balance out.
I would worry more about tone signature than a small bump or loss in output.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 AM

I'm prob the only guy that'll say the breed in a mahogany. I don't like shrill ice picky leads and this one seems to be balanced well.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

I tried norton long time ago so cant tell much about it but i remember that the output was a little to low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 6 View Post
I'm prob the only guy that'll say the breed in a mahogany. I don't like shrill ice picky leads and this one seems to be balanced well.
I talked with few guys who own dp215 and they said that "shrill ice picky" was evolution, not evo2. Evo2 right is bright and tight but not like Evolution 1.

EDIT. I finished on EVO2 and PAF PRO for neck. Discussion about single coil for middle here(sorry for concusion i made) --->> jemsite.com/forums/f35/hum-cancelling-vs-standard-ones-129118.html

Last edited by benfred; 09-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Tone Zone bridge & Air Norton neck.
With the Tone Zone in a 3120, it's all about pickup height.
I had a red one that took a good deal of time to dial in.
Once that happened, OMG! The balls that thing had at full volume was huge.
Dial it back & it was crystal clear. If memory serves, my bass side was around the width of a US nickle & the treble side was slightly less.

Air Norton.....nuff said.

Tags
dimarzio , evo2 , fred , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode