new guitar-pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

new guitar-pickups

hi im goin to buy new guitar.

im between jackson slsmg, ibanez rg1550m and ibanez rg870 premium.

im playing progressive, tech death/thrash metal. i curently own an ltd v401 with emg 81 playing thru engl screamer combo 50.
i like the sound i get but im not 100% satisfied with the EMGs.

well...1stly..can you help me to choose a guitar for what im playing?i dont rly like V and generally "metal" looking shapes anymore. i want a guitar that will help me improve my shred technique and generally my skills.

i also play thru UX2 toneport, using podfarm 2.0

what i dont like in the EMGs is that they sound almost the same in every guitar.some friends have EMGs in totally different guitars and they almost get the same tone as me.

i want to try some passives...i hear a lot of good things and my "idols" use passives too.

i want a warm sounding pickup, not full of treble to sound like a cricket(insect). i love tones like Schuldiners in symbolic and human album, suicmez in epitaph album...and so on.

i have in mid the following pickups

dimarzio - evolution, d-activator X, super distortion(because the pickup picker in dimarzio site recommends them) and paf pro(can i have enough gain for my leads?i would use it as e neck picup)

and

seymour duncan - super distortion, custom 5 and 59 for neck.

can you help me choose?

i didnt make clear that im looking for pickups FOR THE NEW GUITAR im goin to get...not the one i currently own! sorry for not noticing that! thanks and sorry for my english

Last edited by possydp; 01-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: new guitar-pickups

You are listing 3 different guitars that are very different from one another. That will have an effect. Just speaking in general terms, the one I would recommend per your list is the Duncan Distortion. Plenty of gain and its warm. I have the 7 string version in my N7 and I love it. Nice and tight on the lower end and singing leads.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM

you want not so bright ( treble) pickups on the bridge , right?
avoid duncan distortion especially on RGs... the treble is killing me.

DAX is a good choice, or X2n for Chuck's stuffs.
personally, if I choose RG 1550 or 920, I'll go with darker sounding pickups like Super 3, Tone Zone, or Duncan PATB2b.

for neck, I just dont care too much, PAF Pro will work for me.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM

I play a lot of metal and currently own an X2N, D Activator-X, and a Super 3. I would pick the Super 3 over the other two all day long. It stands out better in a band, handles lower tunings betters, and just sounds better to me. I've got and Evo and a PAF Pro for neck pickups. They're both good, but I'd choose the Evo. I think it sounds better tapped.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

thanks a lot for your helpful answers guys i rly appreciate that.

1)btweensunandmoon : i know they are really different espcially the rg's compared to the slsmg..totally different construction(woods, necks, bolt ons etc). back in the time i was thinking about schecters but i dont like their look anymore ...so i wouldnt choose the news LTD's ..the H series...they're fantastic but their look doesnt attract me. i like more old school looks like the ibanez rg with black colour or SLSMG...havent find any other guitar at this price that attracts me. im not so intro see thru colours.
after a big search i came up with these 3 guitars...i hope they worth the price...i hope u can help at this!

u have heard duncan distortion in a 6 string? because i've heard there's a difference between the 7 string and the 6 string DD.

2)psychoshredder : so the DD wouldnt be a good choice for RG's but probably a good choice for SLSMG right?good
tone zone is a good as far as i've checked out but im not sure about his output. he's a medium output pickup in the dimarzio site and i dont know if the engl screamer can handle it. i mean..i dont know if i'll get enough gain out of him...
the dimarzio site recommends me the super 3! so he's in too, with paf, x2n. DAX and DD. i'll search more about the tone zone.

3)xxlinkagexx : oh very good u have 3 pickups that are in the list

have u got a youtube channel or some clips so i can check them out?

can u also tell me which one out of the 3 pickups...has a warm and "full" sound? that won't sound like a cricket but won't be really moody!

i know i ask a lot but i wish i had the chance to check them by my own!

there's a guy on youtube his video is named " Jackson KV2 and dimarzi x2n" i cant put the video here. his tone is awesome :O

thanks again for ur answers

edit: my bad...tonezone is in the list of high output. with 375 mv poweR.sorry
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 AM

I can get some clips together. I've been meaning to get a bunch of samples together anyways. I use POD Farm with the metal shop model pack. If you want, let me know what amp you want it played through. Also, my guitar with the Super 3 can be tuned from standard to drop A and everywhere inbetween.

EDIT:
My JSX also has a speaker emulated out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

really good i send you a message!

i put in the list the rg1570 too because it looks cool and is close to rg premium 870

Ibanez rg870
ibanez rg1570
ibanez rg1550 maple
jackson slsmg
my list!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Well here are some samples for the Evo neck and X2N bridge in an 06' RG350DX (it was the guitar that happened to be in front of me). These were done quick, so never mind some of the sloppiness. Also, I don't really play leads or practice them, so that's why those sound crappy.

These are through Pod Farm settings possydp sent me:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/X2N%20Samples.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/Evo%20Samples.wav

These are my own settings:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/X2N%...g%20Bottom.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/Evo%...g%20Bottom.wav

I'll try to go the Super 3/PAF Pro after I get up.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 01-18-2012 at 09:11 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
I play a lot of metal and currently own an X2N, D Activator-X, and a Super 3. I would pick the Super 3 over the other two all day long. It stands out better in a band, handles lower tunings betters, and just sounds better to me. I've got and Evo and a PAF Pro for neck pickups. They're both good, but I'd choose the Evo. I think it sounds better tapped.
I've been trying to find a used Super 3 on 3bay for a while. Do you match yours with a Super 2?

I have a MIJ RG that sounds nothing like my Premium, and one of the best ideas now would be installing a Super 3 / Super 2 combo and a brass block.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM

I put a PAF Pro in mine. I definitely love my Super 3, it sounds amazing through a proper amp (JSX).

So, here's a few more clips.

RG370 w/ D Activator-X in bridge:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/DAX%20Samples.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/DAX%...g%20Bottom.wav

04' SA w/ Super 3 bridge, PAF Pro neck:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/Super%203%20Samples.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/Supe...g%20Bottom.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/PAF%20Pro%20Samples.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4064351/PAF%...g%20Bottom.wav

You can check out the tone of my 08' RG2550Z (stock pickups) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUkA6...L4pwIvzEWnWMMk

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 01-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

wow thats awesome man...thanks for recording those samples and posting them here i really appreciate it,

well i think, the d-a-x is a little bit muddy compared to the super 3...out of them i liked the super 3 most..i know there;s a big difference between the guitars too but i think that super 3 was warm like the other 2 but also less muddy.

the paf pro is awesome..gotta love the leads...bright and full sound!thats awesome
the stock pickups o ur rg2550 i think had more of a harsh sound i think. with more mids and trebs. i will definently tell the store to change the pickups before the guitars so the price will be lower than buying the guitar and the pickups
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM

No problem, I'm always messing around with recording anyways. The dax is based off the X2N, so they do sound similar. The X2N starts to get really muddy when you downtune. The Super 3 just has that great midrange crunch. Also, it stays nice and clear, even in drop A. Chimaira especially sounds awesome through it. I can't wait to put it in my prestige, I have to get a pickguard made first. I'll probably pair it with the Evo, though, and put the X2N and PAF in my RG350.

Let me know if you want any certain kind of playing through any of the pickups. Faster, slower, bends, harmonics, clean, coil tapped, etc.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 01-19-2012 at 04:52 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

so, since i play stuff like death, darkest hour, black dahlia murder, between the buried and me and have to downtune a lot im not goin for the x2n...he's out of the list.

super 3 is first choice atm with d-activator and tone zone probably

and for neck, maybe evo with paf pro.

first i gotta pick the guitar and then the pickups...hard choices
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM

D Sonic is a great pickup for Drop Tuning. Lower output models are nice too. A regular unassuming PAF Pro in the bridge can do wonders on Drop B / C.

As for a guitar, I love Jackson USA Soloists. Something about the Alder wood. Feels like a Quality Strat with more frets to play on and a thinner neck.

If Ibanez did a guitar like that, I think I'd be in heaven. Played a Sabre once that was pretty close. Wish they'd bring them back. JS is closest to that now, but they're all basswood.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

i wish i lived in the US so i could afford an SL2H...they are my favourite strats along with esp horizons and caparisons.
the price of a brand new us soloist here in europe is 2.300Euro or in dollars, 3.000$.
also, ive found some used soloists for like...2.700 dollars...still cant afford them.
the only thing i can afford is an ibanez RG(i dont rly like the look of JS series)or a jackson slat3-6 /sl3mg or an LTD (i dont like how their new models look, only "see thru..." colours and not black hardware.
even if i had the money i wouldnt spend them for a jackson sl2h in europe..when in USA they cost 2.000$ and in europe 3.000$ ..thats total fail. i hate the guitar market damn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode