New neck pickup to RG550 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

New neck pickup to RG550

Hi! Just bought an -87' RG550 and I really like it! Only thing i don't like in it, is its stock V1 neck pickup.

What type of music do you like? I play mostly Metal, but also Rock, Hard Rock etc. I Like Petrucci kind of neck sounds.

What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? 120W ENGL Powerball through 4x12 V30 cab.

Is it a trem or hardtail? Original Edge Tremolo

maple or rosewood board? Rosewood

how many frets? 24

what controls are on it? 1 vol and 1 tone, 5-way switch

What type of wood is you body made from? Basswood

I've been thinking of Dimarzio LiquiFire or Air Norton, but I would also like to hear your thoughts. And pickup doesn't have to be a Dimarzio, those are just what I've been thinking.

-J

Last edited by jh550; 09-08-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: refinements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Re: New neck pickup to RG550

If you like Petrucci, definately go for the liquifire. You could also go PAF pro. It wont be overpowering like Activators or Liquifire but you can shape it with effects if you want. IIRC JP also used PAF pro for awhile (I know Vai and Satriani did as well way back in the day)

You could also go with the Evolution neck. Gravity storm is really nice too imo.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Air Norton may be a good pick if you are happy with the stock bridge sound. The Air Norton won't over power the stock bridge, and Petrucci used the Air Norton.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Air Norton may be a good pick if you are happy with the stock bridge sound. The Air Norton won't over power the stock bridge, and Petrucci used the Air Norton.
Oh he used a Norton. I thought he used a PAF pro as well. My bad
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

If you like that Petrucci sound, then go with some Petrucci pickups--that's really your best bet.

Most will tell you to go with the CrunchLab/Liquifier combo,but I highly suggest giving the new Illuminators a try. I love those things! In fact--better than the CL/LF combo.

Be patient, though--keep doing research. Pickups don't cost as much as other gear--but you want your hard-earned dough going to the right choice.

I'll have a review with clips of the Illuminator set posted soon, so keep your eyes on the REVIEWS section this weekend.
If I can remember--I'll shoot you a message a soon as it's posted

Tags
rg550 ibanez neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode