New Pickup Clip Site - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
New Pickup Clip Site

Well now that I got your attention......Does anyone have the ability to start a site dedicated to sample clips?

Or we could start a thread and attempt to funnel clips into it. It always hard to find clips when you want to. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM

Re: New Pickup Clip Site

the sounds soo hard, since theres a huge difference in wood, finish, pots, strings....it wold be awesome to get a alder body with maple/ebony neck, and same pots and record like a billion different pups i say!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
the sounds soo hard, since theres a huge difference in wood, finish, pots, strings....it wold be awesome to get a alder body with maple/ebony neck, and same pots and record like a billion different pups i say!
Your right, when you record something there are so many variables. We have a couple songs recorded with three different guitars in various parts on two different amps. Honestly, it's hard to tell one from another after it's mixed with protools.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:30 AM

You know I was thinking about doing this. If enough people recorded clean clips and distorted clips and detailed the body material, neck/fingerboard type and recording equipment/amp etc. Then I think we could have a pretty good library. You could even take the clean clips and process them through a virtual amp to get the distorted versions! If enough people contribute then I'd be happy to host the files and create a simple web page for it.
Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM

That would be cool. As long as it stayed very discriptive. Otherwise you could record your pickup samples direct.??
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 AM

If only it were that simple.

There is no way to truly judge how a pickup will sound unless you can play a guitar (like the one you want to put it in) yourself through your rig. There are so many factors that contribute to the live sound let alone the recorded sound. Even if you know exactly all the gear and all the settings someone used, you still couldn't be sure about the pickup unless you played it yourself.

Consider all the factors that could contribute to the sound when recording a pickup audio clip:
- guitar body wood
- fingerboard wood
- neck attachment type
- fret size
- bridge type
- string gauge
- string age
- action height
- pickup/polepiece height
- pickup angle (e.g. bass side different than treble side)
- volume pot value
- tone pot or lack thereof
- guitar cable length
- pick thickness and material
- pick attack
- amp/preamp
- amp/preamp settings
- effects (if any are used, particularly external EQ)
- mic (if not recorded direct)
- mic position and distance (if not recorded direct)
- post-eq (if not done, not an issue)
- bit rate (it standardized, not an issue).

And last but not least, the player's touch.

There are a lot guitarists who I think have a cool sound but if I tried their gear, I would not like how it "felt" and it would no longer sound good.It's not so much how the pickup sound it's how it feels to the player themselves.

Please understand that I'm not saying trying to do this would be worthless but it won't be nearly as useful as one might hope. Good luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 PM

I completely agree on the last, I'm always amazed to notice how different my friends sound from me (and each others) when they use my guitar.

And I alsoagree with the fact such a site could be usefull, but samples have not to be random,maybe something like sample on the duncan website with just more paterns like:
Always the differents positions
predefine everybody play the same thing (so it has to be accessible)
Clean:
one note at a time lick )
Strumming
funky lick
Bluesy lick
a dynamic test (varying the strenght of the pick attack)

Crunch:
one note licks
riffs
dynamics test
how pick clean up using volume

Distortion
idem

I guess some will come with better/more revelant patterns but it's just to give an idea of what it could look like.

Last edited by Laionel; 03-14-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Tags
alder body , amp settings , ebony neck , fingerboard wood , fret size , guitar body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode