New pickup wiring help - coil tap - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

New pickup wiring help - coil tap

Hi all,

I recently acquired a RG350M and decided to replace the pickups with an Air Norton (Bridge), True Velvet (Middle) and Air Classic Bridge (Neck).

I have had a search on these forums for the way i'd like to wire it but came up with things similar but not quite.

First off I'd like to change the stock wiring to that in selector positions 2/4 it's the outer coils that are active with the middle.

And.. then add a coil tap for the outer coils of both pickups making the guitar SSS from HSH. I have a 500kohm pot with push pull.

Apologies if this has been covered and i've missed it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: New pickup wiring help - coil tap

If you google for "HSH_DUO_5WAYLEV_1V1T.jpg" (since i can't post images) that will do what I want.

This would be ideal - don't suppose anyone's got a wiring diagram for this - found the pic on google but can't find any more detail.

Thanks.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

guitarelectronics.com has what you need.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM

You can use this diagram. I'm assuming it's using this standard Ibanez switch.

Very easy... as far as the outer coil wiring simply mount the pups backwards. This will also retain the humbucking properties when you just have the single coils together.

As far as the SSS with the push/pull, that's easy too.

As long as the switch on the push/pull pot has 2 poles

On the top diagram, you'll see the three lugs on the right of the switch.
This is the part that turns off the coils when in positions 2 and 4.

The middle lug there is connected to ground.

You simply need to connect (from right to left) lug 1 and lug 3 to the position 1 lugs (one on pole 1, the other on pole 2, they MUST be kept separate) of your push/pull switch, and the common lugs on the push/pull to ground.

Or, if you want the switch to work in reverse, simply connect the pickup switch lugs to the position 2 lugs on the push/pull switch.

I'm sure there's a diagram out there somewhere for this since it's a very common configuration.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

I knew there had to be one somewhere.

http : // www. dimarzio. com/sites/default/files/diagrams/vai&PPsplit.pdf

Uses a standard 'Fender' style 5 way, but it's not too hard to figure out what's what.

This will do exactly what you want.

Note: remove the spaces in the URL. Jemsite keeps truncating the url when I try to set up the link.

Last edited by MicJustMic; 04-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks.

Will have a good look through later.

in terms of swapping pickups round (to achieve outer coil) I read that it can cause problems with Dimarzio 'Air' tech pickups?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyl View Post
Great, thanks.

Will have a good look through later.

in terms of swapping pickups round (to achieve outer coil) I read that it can cause problems with Dimarzio 'Air' tech pickups?
The coils are different on the Air pups, so it can change the tone slightly. I've never noticed a huge difference though.

You could simply swap the red (normally hot) and green (ground) wires and this should reverse the coil(s) that are grounded, but you will lose the humbucking when just the single coils are together. If that's not an issue, it is that easy to do.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Oh, you'll have to swap the hot and ground on the single coil as well, else it'll be out of phase with the singles on the buckers, giving a very weak, thin sound. You'd think that would retain the humbucking but it doesn't, since the polarity of the magnet will still be 'wrong'.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
The coils are different on the Air pups, so it can change the tone slightly. I've never noticed a huge difference though.

You could simply swap the red (normally hot) and green (ground) wires and this should reverse the coil(s) that are grounded, but you will lose the humbucking when just the single coils are together. If that's not an issue, it is that easy to do.
Ok.. What are the effects of loosing hum bucking when the single coils are together? Sorry being a bit thick.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM

I just looked at the image you posted...

You said you wanted the outer coils when split, that diagram shows the inner coils when in HSH and the outer coils in SSS.

That wiring is a little more complicated.

The instructions I gave were for outer coils in both configurations.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyl View Post
Ok.. What are the effects of loosing hum bucking when the single coils are together? Sorry being a bit thick.
"Humbucking" actually means, as you could guess, "Bucking the Hum" or reducing/eliminating hum.

Single coils pick up the 50/60 cycle hum that comes from the electrical mains that your gear is plugged into. I'm sure you've noticed that 'buzzzzz' you get from single coils when you are close to an amp, or any electrical device.

Humbuckers were designed to reduce this effect by using a reverse polarity magnet, and reverse coil design. One half has the north side up, with the copper wound either clockwise, or counterclockwise, and the other half (coil) is the exact opposite. They are then connected in series (one coil is run through the other)

When a humbucker is properly set up, one coil picks up the hum in a 'positive' manner, while the other is inverted, or 'negative', add them together and they cancel each other out.

This also has the effect of boosting the output of the signal (that's why humbuckers are louder, usually) but as a trade off, you lose some high end, giving them their 'warm' characteristic.

When you split the humbucker to a single coil, and pair it with another single coil, as long as they are reversed in relationship to one another you still get some of the hum canceling effect.

Since they are in parallel instead of series though, you get that 'Fender Quack' instead of the warm, louder sound.

If anything isn't right, coils wound in the same direction, and/or the magnet polarity is the same, you lose the hum canceling effect since the electrical properties simply aren't there to do it.

Custom pickup designers realized that you could alter the tone buy 'mis-matching' the coils/magnets (more or less winds of wire and or weaker/stronger magnets on one coil). That's why some humbuckers tone is altered if you reverse them.

They aren't as good at 'bucking the hum' but with most modern equipment, even the single coils aren't as noisy as they used to be, so it's not a big deal.

Did you get all that?

Last edited by MicJustMic; 04-26-2012 at 02:17 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just looked at the image you posted...

You said you wanted the outer coils when split, that diagram shows the inner coils when in HSH and the outer coils in SSS.

That wiring is a little more complicated.

The instructions I gave were for outer coils in both configurations.
Yep, right you are. I thought that diagram might have been a more standard wiring configuration. Sorry about that.

I'll be looking to further the suggestions you made using the outer coils as that looks more straightforward and suited to my needs.

Thanks for you summary of humbucking.. I hadn't even thought about the name!

Thanks.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
..wiring instructions..
Right,

so I have had a look at the diagram and come up with the following

http : //www .skinnylincoln.co.uk/Jack/RG2570_new.jpg

Is that what you were referring to?

Thanks.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM

The center lug isn't where you want the ground, although it is a ground for the switch case and you should ground it, that's not going to ground the pups.

More like the way this is wired in.

http://www.randomjunk.com/images/Iba...TapDiagram.jpg

The green wire on the push/pull goes to ground, and the red wires go to the pup selector switch.

You could put the red wires on the 'top' lugs if you want to reverse the operation of the switch.

Ignore the other colors on this diagram, they don't correspond to the Dimarzio colors. I only used this on to show you how the switch (push/pull) should be wired. Also ignore where it says, "(Bridge PU)" by the push/pull, this is a modified diagram that used to show only how to split the bridge.

The top lugs are the inputs for position 1 and the bottom lugs are the inputs for position 2 and the center lugs are the common, or output lugs for each pole.

There are two separate poles on there that are independent of one another, so there can't be a common output for both poles together, it has to be separate outputs. If they were combined, the switch wouldn't work as expected (and you actually would only need three lugs: pos. 1: output: pos. 2)
This two pole setup gives you more options. (and without 2 poles, this wouldn't even work the way you want it to.)

Last edited by MicJustMic; 04-26-2012 at 07:43 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Ah right, I see.

Cheers for all your help! Really useful. I'll report back soon, all the gear should be arriving today.

Thanks

Tags
coil tap , dimarzio , ibanez , pickup , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode