new Pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

new Pickups

Hey guys, new 1570 arrived last week and its Amazing!!...except for the pickups.

Im thinking about swapping the Two 'Buckers right now, might change the single coil when i get the money (im also buying a THD Hotplate Attenuater) But i was thinking of putting a DiMarzio Evolution in the Neck, but i have no clue about the Bridge. Bands i like are Skid Row, Warrant, Whitesnake, LA Guns, Mr. Big, Van Halen And most other 80's Hair bands. using the neck for Steve Vai and other Shreddy sounds, but want a Rock Pickup in the Bridge.

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Re: new Pickups

Breeds are a popular choice for a good "rock" sound. If you do a search you will see a bunch of pickup choice threads to peruse.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 PM

An Evo in the neck?

Dang, you like them hot don't you?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
An Evo in the neck?

Dang, you like them hot don't you?
Love the Sound! They were used in For the Love of God at some parts right? Ive heard a few solos with them and the notes are just so clear and Full sounding. its great

ill check out the breeds too, and persue some of the Which Pickup Threads and see if i can find any that relate to my situation.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I Checked out the Breeds, i was hoping for something with a Little More Treble and Less Bass. thanks for the Suggestion anyways though.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Try the Fred. It has more treble and less bass. Works for satch.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 AM

I'd recommend an Evo neck and bridge. I had originally installed an Evo neck and Evo 2 bridge - I have since replaced the Evo 2 with a Tone Zone, and looking for an Evo bridge atm.

The Evo neck might be hot but it's got perfectly balanced mids and bass, and I could not imagine pulling off pinched harmonics with a neck pickup until now.

I did not like the Evo 2 because it lacked punch compared to the Evo neck... basically less bass, which made it sound like I was switching guitars when I'd switch from the neck to the bridge.

Tone Zone pairs well with the Evo neck but I'm still looking for a used Evo bridge because I'm really curious to see how it sounds with it's twin brother in the neck

Hope this helps!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

^ I was thinking about an Evo Bridge, but i usually dont need the Shred Sound on that pickup and it seems a little bit...to smooth for rock, i guess. Plus depending on how Well i actually turn out to play on it i dont want the Evo which could accentuate mistakes in Both Positions haha.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:57 AM

I like Evos in alder, but in basswood they just sound lifeless to me. The breed is a much better choice in basswood.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubyboulin View Post
^ I was thinking about an Evo Bridge, but i usually dont need the Shred Sound on that pickup and it seems a little bit...to smooth for rock, i guess. Plus depending on how Well i actually turn out to play on it i dont want the Evo which could accentuate mistakes in Both Positions haha.
That's true, the Evo neck is punishing! How about a Tone Zone in the bridge then, I'm really enjoying it playing classic rock.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM

Avoid the Hot Plate like its a fat chick at last call.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm a sucker for Gibson pickups myself... I have one guitar with 490R and 498T (hot alnico), which gives you the perfect classic rock/hardrock sounds (and no problem with pinch harmonics on the neck pickup)... and another with 496R and 500T (ceramic), which gives you a more modern sound with more punch, more bite, but still gives you good rock sounds when you turn the gain down a bit.

I've tried some DiMarzios and such... had a PAF Pro and ToneZone in one guitar for a while, but to me it feels like they overdo things when they want to enhance certain characteristics of a pickup.

Tags
dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , evo bridge , neck pickup , paf pro , pinch harmonics , steve vai , thd hotplate , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode