New pickups for an Ibanez Roadstar? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

New pickups for an Ibanez Roadstar?

Hello everyone,

Just recently I purchased an amazing 1987 Ibanez Roadstar which is a great guitar, but as good as it feels and plays, the pickups aren't exactly great to me.

The configuration on this one is HSS, body is basswood, neck is maple with rosewood board and 22 frets, Edge tremolo.
I think about going with the same kind of configuration as with my Strat, which is 2 humbuckers (single-sized in the neck of course) and a 5-way switch wiring. as I don't really have much use for a middle-pickup anyway most of the time and if I miss it, I could just add one of course.

Now, in my Strat I have an AT-1 and a Chopper. If the Strat is more of the classic to heavy rock guitar, the Roadstar should be the hard rock to (80's) metal axe.

I'm playing through an Egnater Rebel 30 most of the time at home, through a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 212 at rehearsals and through whatever amp I get when gigging (so far ranging from Valvekings to Rectos), sometimes using a 'modded' Boss SD-1 for a bit more gain and tightness.

So here's what I'm looking for:

For the bridge
I would like something hotter, slightly more cutting and more ballsy compared to the stock HB. Compared to the AT-1 it should just sound meaner, maybe slightly tighter but bigger.
Overall thick tone, big but tight bass, punchy, cutting mids, smooth but not choked sounding high end. Crazy harmonics and a good split tone are always a big plus as well.
I was thinking Gravity Storm, Tone Zone or Breed, but what would you guys say?

For the neck I think a more PAF-ish tone would be nice compared to the more singlecoil-ish Chopper - which is absolutely awesome for the Strat BTW, just want this one to have a different kind of vibe.
I'm pretty set on the Pro Track already actually or is there better?

Last edited by JesusCrisp; 06-09-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Re: New pickups for an Ibanez Roadstar?

Tone Zone or Dominion.

Tags
breed , dimarzio , gravity storm , pickups , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode