New Pickups for a Mahgonony Body Guitar - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Question New Pickups for a Mahgonony Body Guitar

Im looking for new pickups for my S470, I've pretty much decided on a Evo for the bridge, but cant decide what to get for the neck, I was thinking along the lines of a Breed or Air Norton for the neck. My guitar is a H/S/H configuration and I intend to wire it so that when i split the coils both humbuckers work together as oposed to the humbucker and the single.

I play everything from classical to metal, and need something kinda crunchy for the rhythm's something that will stand out for the lead (Evolution..) and something that would work with clean tones also.

Any advice or help would kick ass!

Last edited by Virtuoso#777; 05-31-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 02:50 AM

Re: New Pickups for a Mahgonony Body Guitar

Air Norton is Da BOMB my man !!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth
Air Norton is Da BOMB my man !!
I second that.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 AM

Yeah, the Air Norton is a good pickup in Mahogany. You also can't go wrong with a PAF Pro.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Is Air Norton good for cleans and metal rhymths? Or just for one or the other?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 AM

What kind of a metal riff are you going to play in the neck position? Generally you use your neck pickup for lead work and maybe melodies. For metal riffs, you generally want the crunch of the bridge position (for which the Tone Zone would be well suited).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: New Pickups for a Mahgonony Body Guitar

That's intresting, ive been under the impression for the last 1/2 a year that its the other way around.. my horrible powersound pickups i thought just wernt good enough to play any riffs with the neck p.u. (far to bassy).
I figured if i got a good p.u. in there that I could finaly use that for playing something, like hard rock.
So.. it wouldnt work to have a bridge Evo playing leads and riffs from metallica and stuff and having a neck Air Norton or Breed playing cleans and stuff in dropped tuning that needs more of a bass end crunch? Have i got those whole thing backwards?

It says this on the Dimarzio web site... (about evolutions)

Recommended For: Bridge position in solid body guitars.
Tech Talk: The Evolution® bridge pickup works best for soloing where the sound must cut through.

Last edited by Virtuoso#777; 06-01-2005 at 01:24 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Mahogonony? You should be happy with an Air Nortorton.

Only kidding, couldn't resist!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM

Lightbulb Re: New Pickups for a Mahgonony Body Guitar

[QUOTE=Virtuoso#777]That's intresting, ive been under the impression for the last 1/2 a year that its the other way around.. my horrible powersound pickups i thought just wernt good enough to play any riffs with the neck p.u. (far to bassy).
I figured if i got a good p.u. in there that I could finaly use that for playing something, like hard rock.
So.. it wouldnt work to have a bridge Evo playing leads and riffs from metallica and stuff and having a neck Air Norton or Breed playing cleans and stuff in dropped tuning that needs more of a bass end crunch? Have i got those whole thing backwards?

QUOTE]

Okay, you're making this really confusing when it shouldn't be. If it's crunch that you're talking about, then it's going to be your bridge pickup providing that sound simply because that's the way that the strings vibrate right there as opposed to the neck. For METAL rhythm you generally use your bridge pickup (an EVO is fine) but you can also use it for leads. I use my bridge pickup for the fast picking stuff on the first half of the guitar to give it that low end crunch and then I switch to the neck when I go past that so that my notes sound smoother. The neck pickup is well suited for clean stuff, lead work, and some types of rhythm. Of course, these things are all relative and you can use whatever you want to do whatever you want. It's all about what sounds best to you, since it's your guitar.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Crunch? try a DiMarzio X2N, or if you can find a megadrive those are really freakin' hot. I had on in a custom ESP years ago. Not even sure if they still make it.

~A
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero

Okay, you're making this really confusing when it shouldn't be. If it's crunch that you're talking about, then it's going to be your bridge pickup providing that sound simply because that's the way that the strings vibrate right there as opposed to the neck. For METAL rhythm you generally use your bridge pickup (an EVO is fine) but you can also use it for leads. I use my bridge pickup for the fast picking stuff on the first half of the guitar to give it that low end crunch and then I switch to the neck when I go past that so that my notes sound smoother. The neck pickup is well suited for clean stuff, lead work, and some types of rhythm. Of course, these things are all relative and you can use whatever you want to do whatever you want. It's all about what sounds best to you, since it's your guitar.
OK, I think I got it, that is actuly what I have been doing from the start. Using the bridge for higher end solos and metal riffs, and neck for cleans and smooth leads.

Judging by what all you have agreed upon, Ill go with the Air Norton=Neck and Evo=Bridge combo.

Thanks for the help!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 PM

les paul went to the trouble of writing rhythm and treble on his selector switch. therefore, you must use the neck pickup for rhythm work. and you must stop refering to it as lead work - it's now treble work.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
les paul went to the trouble of writing rhythm and treble on his selector switch. therefore, you must use the neck pickup for rhythm work. and you must stop refering to it as lead work - it's now treble work.
Haha, A lot of trouble it must have cost him to put rhythm and treble on his guitars my man! I mean that could have taken a whole 4 mins... lol

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , bridge position , clean tone , les paul , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , powersound pickups , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode