new pickups not right - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

new pickups not right

Hey everyone

I just got my SA160 back from the shop with Mo' Joe in the bridge, Cruiser in the mid and the Satch Track in the neck. It also got new pots and a new Dimarzio switch. It sounds great in the 1,3,and 5 position but in the 2 and 4 position, the volume is only about half. Any ideas?

I'm going to take it back to the shop - I'm surprised they did not notice this themselves.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0109.JPG (2.63 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0106.JPG (2.66 MB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 AM

That's to be expected with the coils split, you're only using half the humbucker so you only get half the volume.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: new pickups not right

Thanks - that's good to know.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:25 PM

Re: new pickups not right

it sounds like they wired the middle pickup normal and not reverse. So you could be getting an out-of-phase signal when the middle pickup is split. take a look at your switch and tell me if you have three red hotwires running it to it, or if there are two red wires from the pikups and one green.

reversing the middle pickup wont effect the sound of the middle position (3) but may improve the 2 and 4 positions. I am not sure if the switch is suppose to be splitting the pickups in 2 and 4 or if it is simply putting the bridge pickup together with the middle pickup. If the switch has black and white wires from the pickups then they tried to wire it up to do a split pickup in the 2 and 4 positions.

the easiest way to tell anything would be for you to take a picture of the switch and post that.

Tags
dimarzio , new pickups , sa160

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode