New pickups for old RG570 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
New pickups for old RG570

A couple of years ago I bought an old first year RG570, the body is a bit chipped and dented and the neck needs a good fret dressing, but the guitar is one of those ones that you know is "right". So I'm going to send it to a great luthier I know to have it overhauled. Including having some new humbuckers added. So, taking Ryc's thread as guidance points...

What new DiMarzio buckers should my amazing old RG570 get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists.
OK this is the easy one, this is a guitar for melodic instrumental rock, not metal or djent or what have you. It’s for Satch, Petrucci, Vai, type stuff.

Quote:
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? A 10 watt "Rouge" amplifier is never going to sound better, no matter what pickups you put in your guitar......sorry
Mainly I’ll be playing through Line 6 gear at low volumes. I do notice a big difference between pickups in similar guitars or between body woods, so the gear is big enough to pickup the difference in pickups

Quote:
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars...
A. Is it a trem or hardtail?
B. maple or rosewood board?
C. how many frets?
D. what controls are on it?
E. What type of wood is you body made from?
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard?
THESE THINGS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!
It’s a 1989 RG570WH, Original Edge trem, dark rosewood board, 24 frets and single 1 volume, 1 tone. It’s a standard basswood body and the pickups are ring mounted.

Quote:
Other important factors
1. Why are you changing your pickups? So many times I see people wanting to change their pickups because they think they HAVE to based on other peoples advice. What is it that YOU don't like about your current pups? What would you like to be different in a set of new ones?
There are two reasons, the first is that the guitar is going under the knife anyway. The electics are shot and the trem claw has disintegrated. You don’t want to know what the previous owner has done to keep it playable!!! The second is that the bridge pickup lacks definition and seems to not react quickly enough to the notes when playing high frequencies. Woolly is a term I would use. It’s great on open chords with full distortion, but that’s only part of what I’m after. I want “more” lead tone. The selector switch does't work, so I've never heard the neck pickup and I can't remember what an old V1 sounds like in the neck

Another thing is that I want to try some of the latest round of new pickups, so whilst i love PAF Pros, I can think of at least 5 guitar I have with that in the neck. I don’t have any of the newer ones. I don’t think I’ve kept anything newer than about 10 years old!!!
I should say here that I really don’t like the Tone Zone, it’s got “too much” tone!

Quote:
2. Are you looking for any particular brand, and if so...Why? Do you have previous experience with that brand, or maybe a bad experience with another brand? Are you going on someone's advice or on your own research??
I’m looking for DiMarzios because I have them in lots of guitars and I have a good reference point with their line of pickups. But I don’t have real experience with anything after about 2003. I’ve borrowed guitars with them and I’ve flipped guitars with them, but I’ve not kept anything.

Quote:
3. Often times people think they need new pups because their guitar is making funny noises, or sounding weak....... sometimes there's nothing wrong with their pups. Sometimes it's other electrical problems like a loose jack, a dirty pot or switch, a loose or broken solder joint...... etc. If you DO have a problem like this.....DESCRIBE IT IN DETAIL. Guitar electronics are actually very easy to fix yourself.
The selector doesn’t work, the tone pot is scratchy which is one reason it’s going to be looked at. So feel free to suggest electronics changes too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: New pickups for old RG570

Hey Jono, do you plan to do any split coil stuff or can you get away without positions 2 and 4?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was expecting to go with splits, but I'm open to offers so to speak.

What are you thinking?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 120

Try the new Steve Lukather Transitions in the bridge and neck, I think they'll be versatile enough for what you want. Do you want a real single coil sound, noiseless single, or a single sized humbucker in the middle?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM

My favorite combo is the Dimarzio FRED bridge, old Dimarzio IBZ/C2 middle and a Dimarzio Evolution neck. Fred is a great bridge humbucker for any rock to metal and has a ton of harmonics. The C2 is a stacked single for noiseless operation and the neck Evo pumps the bass some but has good clarity. Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 AM

I can recommend the gravity storms for both neck and bridge positions. they are much lower output than the evos, giving them closer to a fred sound than some of the more high output stuff. The harmonics are pretty good (not evo good but still enough to make you happy) and effects are more easily managed imo.

BTW i do have evos and while i like them for heavy stuff like Judas Priest, they are far too powerful for me to play stratovarius stuff as Timo Tolkki used to use '59s and JB's on his ESP m-II, so gravity storms are much closer to the 59s and JBs than the evos are. At least that's my opinion.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I can recommend the gravity storms for both neck and bridge positions. they are much lower output than the evos
Not the neck model!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM

I was also going to suggest the gravity storm set or the breed set. They are very similar sounding. The GS' have a little less output which makes them easier to control with higher gain. The Breeds have a little more high end so they're better for soloing. They both have amazingly smooth, luxurious mids which is what you want the most for melodic soloing. You'll have to decide which fits you best. I's love to suggest the transitions as well but, despite my efforts, haven't scored a set yet. On paper and in reviews the look amazing. They're my current "gotta get em" set.

The main reason for my previous question is more about switching options. I've really become a fan of keeping it as simple as possible while retaining optimal functionality.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be buying the Transition set and pairing them with a Virtual Solo in the middle.

For switching I'd use:
  • 3 SPDT mini switches (although a 5-way blade would work better in your situation)
  • a 250k (linear taper) vol and 500k (audio taper) tone pot
  • a .068 mfd tone cap (orange drop)
  • a .01mfd treble bleed cap (orange drop)
  • (optional) DPDT on/on mini switch if you want coil splitting.

This setup is very simplistic, works very well with an H-H-H config and still offers a huge array of switching possibilities.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 PM

For something different than a PAF Pro in the neck, I can't say enough good about the Liquifire. That said, I wouldn't do the full Petrucci with the Crunch Lab in the bridge. Just didn't like that pickup.

I've recently tried an EVO2 in the bridge which I like a lot for a different sound.

Still, my favorites in the bridge are the FRED and PAF Pro, but you said you were looking for something different.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Not the neck model!
That's your ears, I personally like the neck.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks guys, there's a lot of good info here. The Transitions are high on my radar at the moment although I'm worried they might not have enough poke in the top end. It's the old "where do mids stop and treble begin" issue

I think my main trouble is that there are SO many pickups these days its getting harder and harder to choose, especially when on paper we're only talking about a few variables,

Output, resistance, magnet type, treble, mids and bass.

I've stuck with a few old favourites over the years and now I feel like the "old dad" on those makeover shows, where my kids have volunteered me to go and buy my first pair of sneakers in 15 years with the help of some minor celebrity.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
For something different than a PAF Pro in the neck, I can't say enough good about the Liquifire. That said, I wouldn't do the full Petrucci with the Crunch Lab in the bridge.
"Everybody knows you never go full Petrucci! You went full Petrucci man, never go full Petrucci"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM

If you're worried about a pickup lacking clarity to cut through, I'd personally be concerned with the Gravity Storm. I think that the EVO 2 would fit the bill there. You could also try a Norton in the bridge, although it's generally described as being better in mahogany (like a Tone Zone).

To expand on the Liquifire in the neck, it's like an Air Norton but better. To me it sounds like it has a lot more definition than most neck pickups but it still nice, fat and warm. To me it makes almost a perfect blues sound.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
If you're worried about a pickup lacking clarity to cut through, I'd personally be concerned with the Gravity Storm. I think that the EVO 2 would fit the bill there. You could also try a Norton in the bridge, although it's generally described as being better in mahogany (like a Tone Zone).

To expand on the Liquifire in the neck, it's like an Air Norton but better. To me it sounds like it has a lot more definition than most neck pickups but it still nice, fat and warm. To me it makes almost a perfect blues sound.
You haven't gotten good clarity or cut with GS'?? I've had the total opposite experience in my 550.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM

I haven't actually used the pickup, but the EQ curve looks a lot like a Tone Zone to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode