New pickups for RG1550FM - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

New pickups for RG1550FM

I'm lookin' to put a set of new Dimarzios into my sunburned beauty. It is a mahogany RG with flamed maple top and maple Super Wizard neck. I'm using it for every kind of music, starting from ballads/jazz/funk and santana stuff through Vai's and Satch's ending at metal headbang (from heavy stuff im playing generally something like band called Down). I need versitale sound with bright, punchy tone, I'm really afraid of muddy tone so forget about Tone Zone ;-)
In the bridge position i thought about Norton, from everything i read his tone is great for what i am looking for but im a little scarry of his low output (will it be too low?). Dimarzio tech give me solution to buy a new Dominion, i don't know anything about this pickup, how it sounds? I'm scarry that it could sound like Crunch Lab which sucks for me when I tried it. I need bright, dynamic pickup, I don't know how to say but when you play the Crunch Lab the notes are veery accurate it is true but theres nothing behind them, it is so compressed that the sound dont have any background, it was stiff almost like active pickup (which i hate, I had EMG81), I want FULL SOUNDING pickup with "magic" and finesse, something between modern and vintage type of sound, something which will alow me to play blues and metal and will do lead work also. I have Evo2 (too shrill or too boomy?) and maybe Super Distortion in my mind too for bridge.
For neck I need something for good jazz sound, good cleans and good lead sound. I thought about Fred, maybe Paf Pro (also Paf Joe, but the output...) Dimarzio tech said Liquifire would be nice, but again, i havent tried it but after Crunch Lab Im scared about modern sounding pickups. It can't be muddy!
For middle i thought about True or Red Velvet, but i think the Red one will fit better in mahogany. I'm using it generally in pair with splitted coil of neck humb. Sometimes solo for leads but not often. Thanks for help and sorry for such a long text and weak English! Cheers!

Last edited by MMAchu; 04-12-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 AM

Re: New pickups for RG1550FM

From what you said, you want an EVO 1 and EVO Neck.
The EVO 1 Bridget has higher output 404.
It is bright and punchy like you want.
I have the EVO 1 and EVO Neck in my mahogany S1XXV and its hot!
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Sebastian thank you. I tried Evo 1 long time ago and it was shrill and boomy in bass secton (it was alder Ibanez JEM), i really didn't liked it thats why im not sure about Evo2.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM

What do you use for a guitar rig?
Who's tone is most like what you are after?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

When im practissing and recording at home im using Zoom g7.1ut, its a tube fx-processor. On stage im using many diffrent amps, marshalls jvm, line6 bogner, copy of mesa recto etc...
For the tone, it depends, on the song, not on the artist, Vai or Petrucci sound ****ty for me sometimes too. Heres some samples whichi want get,
youtube.com/watch?v=Ed3Xc_wgLv8 love this tone, its soooo finesse and balanced for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY those lead sounds which starts is 0:40 is just brilliant... im amazed.
youtube.com/watch?v=aqOomFjGfGg Marco sounds here very good, maybe a little too muddy, but not much, the tone is selective
And for something heavier, i like this one (it know that those are duncans, sh4 and sh2, but i want dimarzioss!!! ) youtube.com/watch?v=ks2wSCgFHYE
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Okay, now I know what you're after.
You do want mid to lower output pickups.
I think you'll love the FRED.
I had a FRED in my S540LTD with a PAF Pro in the neck, great combo on the Mahogany body.
The FRED is warm and smooth, with great harmonic response, no mud at all.
Get this Combo!
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM

I would go with A Norton Bridge and a Air Norton neck. That should cover all the bases.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Sebastian, yea thats great combo but sometimes i would like to play rhytms like this one for example, youtube.com/watch?v=oqdZpxkzNvc , so the Fred could be to weak in bridge position, what you think bout this:
1. norton + paf pro
2. norton + fred
3. bridge dominion + paf pro
4. bridge dominion + fred

??

Corpraider69, i found air norton to be muddy in mahogany, nad dont like it sound, I need definition and air norton have lack in it.

Last edited by MMAchu; 04-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM

I'd get two guitars if I were you.
I've got a few air nortons, I'm not a fan of them.
They are ot bad, but they are not good either.
Norton + Fred is the middle of all that tone
NOT the Air Norton
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I will stick with the Norton in the bridge but last question about it, will i be able to play metal sounds on it without any lacks in sound?
And for neck i think i will get FRED, because I think its better for leads than PAF PRO, but will it bee good enough on clean, blues overdrives and in split coil mode? Cheers! Thanks for heeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAchu View Post
Ok so I will stick with the Norton in the bridge but last question about it, will i be able to play metal sounds on it without any lacks in sound?
If you rig is able, you'll be fine.
I can thrash with a FRED in the bridge.
The Norton is not all that different than the FRED.
The FRED and the PAF Pro are almost the same pickup, just a tad more mids on the FRED, giving it that extra output.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok so last question about neck pup, is FRED as good as PAF PRO on clean sounds? And if it is at all compared to another pickups?
And what ya think about middle single? Red velvet will be better than True velvet or something else?
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM

They FRED and the PAF Pro are so close, you'll be hard pressed to tell the diff.
The FRED is a little better maybe.
Do you want the middle pickup to sound like a Strat or a Humbucker?
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Of course like Strat, Im using middle pickup in pair with splitted coil of neck humbucker. Sometimes im using it at its own to blues solos but not often. I need them generally for really good clean work in pair with splited FRED. It can't be muddy.
BTW. I decided for the bridge will be Norton and for neck FRED, look at my guitar img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/maliciousteve/rg1550fmrbt-lg.jpg should i buy GOLD TOPS humbuckers or standard black ones, what ya think? :>
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Is the Guitar Red or Orange?
Red would look good with Red pickups and knobs / switch tip.
Dimarzio Red humbuckers are Dark Red, like Blood Red.

Orange, go for the Gold, or will it be too much Gold???

Start sounding Dimarzios-
-Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2
-Injector

For the best Start tone-
-Fender Texas Special!

Tags
dimarzio , dominion , mahogany , norton , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode