Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New Pickups for RG370 DX (help me!?)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MF_Kitten 
#1 ·
I´m thinking about what pickups would fit better for my RG 370 DX
(6 string, basswood, locking trem. H-S-H)...
it´s got stock INF4-INF3S-INF3 pickups right now.

in the neck, it´s either a ToneZone or a Humbucker from Hell ,
but for the bridge, i´m stoked... no idea what to put in there!

i´m mainly thinking about a D-Sonic, but i don´t know how it would sound in a basswood body... how do all you think it would sound in this guitar?

i´m also thinking of getting a Virtual T Neck (Tele replacement) pickup for the single-coil position in the middle... any thoughts?

my intent is to have a nice and versatile guitar, seeing as i play lots of different styles...

i thought of the humbucker from hell because i wanted a nice clean sound...
but then i came to think that since there would be a virtual T in there, i wouldn´t need another Clean-sound pickup...

so then i started thinking about getting a Tone Zone for the neck position, so i could have a lovely lead-pickup as well, making for more versatility...

Speak to me, Ye All-knowing ones! i´m in agony! :p

See less See more
#4 ·
but the way your HSH RG is wired the pickups interact a lot in pos 2 and 4, also if you play onstage, you will need some balance with your pickups or you will have it very difficult to ****ch them in the middle of a tune.

I think bassed on your description:
Neck Air Zone
Mid Area 61
Bridge D-Sonic

#5 ·
i never use the 4th and 2nd positions on the switch, and i´m even thinking of having a three-way put in there... never really liked the 2 and 4-positions on any guitar.

as for switching on stage, even if i have the 5-way, why would it be a problem? like if i´m going from bridge pickup to neck pickup, i just... switch it? :p or are you talking about the difference in the sound would be too huge?

and also, why the different choise of single coil?

#6 ·
well the different single coil is because an RG370 is basically a super strat, and the pickup cavity is of the size of a strat sc, teles sc are different in size. Also I look for a pickup that balances well with the other two (hot) hb.

switching on stage without needing to touch you amp settings and sounding good in the middle of a tune.

about not liking 2 and 4 you are losing half of the reason to have a three pu gtr. But thats your liking

#7 ·
thanks for the superstrat-´´lesson´´, that coulda been a horrible mistake hehe :p...

as for the 2nd and 4th position, i just find no use for it... i use the middle pickup for clean sound, and the neck for lead guitar...
and the bridge for everything else of course...

so basically, if i had a tone zone in the neck, it would be like a secret weapon that i use when the lead tones are unveiled...

and the single coil middle is pretty much for clean only i guess :p

so you see, it´s not about the guitar´s pickups ´´matching´´, as they will be used for completely different things, and i want them to sound different...

what i don´t like with the guitar now is that when i switch to the neck position, it sounds the same, but more ´´vowel´´-ish... like a slight ´´ooew´´...

i want a sonofabitch of a madman for a neck pickup, reserved for sexyness ONLY :p

and a sweet cute and glassy clear middle pickup for playing ballad-ish clean songs...

#9 ·
The DiMarzio that I really want to try at the moment is the D-Sonic. Obviously Petrucci has brought the pickup into the limelight big-time. And I would just be interested to hear what it sounds like. I really dig the half-blade look of it too.

And if its good enough for Petrucci..........

#10 ·
well, i´m not a fan of petrucci, never really listened to any of his bands, BUT... i do want the d-sonic :p

i went up on youtube and scooped around for videos of him, when i saw he used it, and yeah, it sounded pretty damn nice :D

i´ve made up my mind about the d-sonic long time ago, but i´ve thought about the middle, an i´m getting an Area 58´, after hearing it in action.

as for the neck pickup, i dunno, but i do have the Air Zone sketched down...
how does it sound compared to the tone zone? and are there any even wilder neck pickups that can soar through the mix and really sound GREAT? :p

i like Vai´s tone, but i don´t know which one is more in the right direction of the Breed and the Evo?

if i can´t make up my mind, it´ll probably be the air zone :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.