New pickups for sabre - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Talking New pickups for sabre

So im looking into some new pups for my S470DXQM, i really dont know the faintest about them. A local music shop is selling dizmarzios and if you buy 3 pickups, you get 20% off the total price, so i thought it might be a good time to look into them. I want a nice, high output bridge humbucker that will give a good, distorted sound(pretty much all i use it for). The neck humbucker needs to be nice and smooth, i like to do some soloing on it because it gives it that john pertrussi sound that i like. It will need to sit well with the bridge pup though. and i want to be able to do a fair amount of rythm work on it too. The single coil is pretty straight forward, a good clean sound is all im after, as i havent found the need to use the single coil with distortion, a nice warm tone would be good. Keep in mind that they would all have to be dizmarzios for me to get that nice big discount.

Here is the link.
http://www.merrylandsmusic.com.au/Me...io_pickups.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:53 AM
ZJH

Re: New pickups for sabre

Well, you sound like you want a metal type sound, so I'd say go for the EMG-81 in the bridge, EMG-60 in the neck, and the EMG-SA for the single. That's just my opinion though.

*EDIT* Whoops, I didn't see the DiMarzio part. lol Ignore what I just said. ;p
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:28 AM

I haven't tried them, but many people here rave about the Tone Zone/ Air Norton in mahogany. It sounds like what you may be looking for. For singles, many people here like the Blue Velvet too (haven't tried them either though)

I think I'd try to stay away from middy bridge pups. I have an S270 and it's very mid-rich and all the mid-heavy pups I've tried (i.e., IBZ/USA F2, Fred) sounded way too thin (to my ears anyway). Maybe something darker like a TZ, Super Distorsion, Super 3???
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:58 AM

tone zone/air norton combo is a fav for people in mahogany bodies
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14
tone zone/air norton combo is a fav for people in mahogany bodies
Sounds good in a basswood body too .

Regards

André

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 AM

The Tone Zone is an excellent bridge pickup, but I'm not a big fan of the Air Norton. You can't go wrong with a PAF Pro in the neck. And for the single coil, a blue velvet would be a good choice or if you want something a bit warmer than a standard single coil then maybe check out a Chopper.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys but make sure the ones you are mentionaing are available on the website, (the above link) There is air zone, but not air norton.
Well, keep posting guys!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

And what about the X2n?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 AM

i was looking at those prices and they seem high as hell to me. If i get this right they list the normal list price and then if you buy the three pickups you get 20% of the price that they are listing right? Well if you look about anywhere else you can get each pickup for half or less then half of the prices that place has. In fact you can get at least two, maybe three for the price of one of theirs.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thats because its in australian prices! our prices are double yours except our money is worth half so it all works out, Just imagine they are halved. And because its using bigger numbers, when 20% is taken off, more money is reduced i think, maybe. i dunno.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhairycamel
Thats because its in australian prices! our prices are double yours except our money is worth half so it all works out, Just imagine they are halved. And because its using bigger numbers, when 20% is taken off, more money is reduced i think, maybe. i dunno.
still, i wonder if you might do better ordering online from one of the big american chains, whose names we dare not mention. i know that some of them ship internationally.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

i found a site and did some currency conversion, for 3 dimarzio pups (HSH) it will cos 223 american dollars includin shipping which changes to 290 austalian, more than a hundred dollars cheaper than here in australia. so maybe it would be better to buy from america. Also what other chains are there?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Forget the dimarzio thing, Just give me any ideas for new pups, Im thinking about emg actives.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 AM

EMGs cost even more than Dimarzios and you may need some routing to install them (but I'm not entirely sure about that). EMG's have a great sound for metal and hard rock but a lot of people think that they aren't very versatile. I personally think that EMGs are as versatile as any other pickup, but you have to try a different variety than just the 81/85 combo (the 89 is a really good and versatile pickup).
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 AM

Hey superhairycamel...
I've got an X2N and I did a recording with it. Its super hi gain and it really brings out the characteristics of the guitar.. I'm using an S520EX and its mahogany (like yours)... its overall tone is kind of darkish, moderately fat and quite warm. The X2N in it is pretty crushing! I ran, guitar to TS9DX to Boss SD-2 to Roland Microcube (JC Clean channel) to notebook via line in.

Take a listen and judge for yourself.

X2N Review

EDIT: Oh ya, all rhythm and leads are X2N only.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , basswood body , boss pedal , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pup , custom jem , dimarzio pups , emg active , john petrucci , local music shop , neck humbucker , neck pickup , paf pro , pro edge , tone zone , versatile pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode