New pickups for an SZ720FM. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

New pickups for an SZ720FM.

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to this forum stuff, but I've looked around and could not find an answer to my question already.

I just got a almost new Ibanez SZ 720 FM, got a great price on it but the pickups are not quite what I expected, all the ones I have seen in the catalogs and online say Designed by Duncan on them, showing they are the cheaper Foreign version of the Seymores. But mine do not, in fact they don't even have the little reddish orange square off to the side like all Seymores I have seen. So I guess that whoever had this thing before me switched them out. Any way I am still very impressed with every other aspect of this guitar, I just want new electronics, I know what pots I want but I have no Idea on how to interpret the charts on pickups (hertz and resistance and such) to figure out what type of sound they will produce. I will be keeping the 3 way switch, possibly rewiring the config. I play mostly blues/jazz and 80's hairband rock, (I know it is a weird combo) I was wondering if a Seymore Duncan SH-2 jazz model would pair up nicely with a Full Shred? If so... which would you put in the neck? the bridge? and Does any one know the diff between the SH-10 full shred and the TB-10 full shred?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: New pickups for an SZ720FM.

The SH and TB designations I believe (but only from hearsay) are "Seymour Humbucker" and "Trem Bucker".

The SH is designed to fit Gibson style string spacing at the bridge and the the TB to fit Floyd Rose string spacing which is a bit wider (It's Duncan's version of DiMarzio F-Spacing, although I'm not sure who did it first)

I think people usually go for the Jazz in the neck position and something else in the bridge. Most often the JB or a Custom for a jack-of-all-trades sound.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, also, with this guitar having a 25.1 scale, how does that effect my string spacing?

Sorry for all the questions guys but I am learning here, I do appreciate all your help though.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The scale length of the guitar doesn't affect the string spacing.

The string spacing is really only dependent on the bridge of the guitar and is basically the distance between the strings where they sit on the saddles of the bridge, so it runs at 90 to the scale length.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM

I would try either a JB/'59, JB/Jazz, Active JB/Jazz or a JB/Paf Pro. I have left the stock pups in my SZ4020 and might possibly try the active JB/Jazz set in mine one day. Congrats and welcome to the board.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:47 PM

i use the alnico 2 pro and jb in my sz520. great all purpose rock sound. with the factory petrucci switch, sounds great in the middle position, too.

rich
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 PM

I ordered a set of JB/Jazz from bay.. it arrive today, will install soon to my SZ520
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:49 PM

go to seymourduncan site.. you can listen to audio samples of each pickup
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP13 View Post
I ordered a set of JB/Jazz from bay.. it arrive today, will install soon to my SZ520
Good choice for that guitar.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Franks Guys,
The site was really helpful, I really think this guitar is capable of that warm yet twang tone I am looking for,(kind of like that other solid mahogany classic (yet overrated) guitar). I got new pots today, Ernie Ball power slinkys, and a push pull pot for the tone, probably be till payday(3 days) till I can get the new pickups, but I should be able to decide by then thanks to the Seymore Duncan website sound bits.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

OK I think I'm done, settled on SH-2 Jazz in the neck and SH-4 in the bridge, also with the push pull tone pot for coil splitting, and oh yea, I think I'm gonna get the nickel covers cuz I think it would look great with this guitar. Gonna take it to my local shop this weekend and have them install the new pickups, pots, and some new Ernie Ball power slinky's, set it up w/ a low action, and set the Iton., (which is actually quite easy w/ the Gibraltar 3 fixed bridge). Can't wait to play afterwards. FYI still open to comments and suggestions.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

sorry, did not really figure this one out yet, has to do w/ string spacing, I think i have read on here already that the string spacing is diff on my SZ than normal, maybe F spacing like w/ a floyd, even though this is a fixed. So in that respect, should I get the trembuckers, or not?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 AM

Reviews: 6

Can never go wrong with the jazz/neck JB/bridge setup. It's been a staple of many rock and metal guitarists. The screamin demon is worth a look too. I had the full shred in an old jackson and it was nice but the JB definetly trumps it in my book.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaN8Mare View Post
sorry, did not really figure this one out yet, has to do w/ string spacing, I think i have read on here already that the string spacing is diff on my SZ than normal, maybe F spacing like w/ a floyd, even though this is a fixed. So in that respect, should I get the trembuckers, or not?
Yes, trembuckers will probably "look" nicer with proper spacing but it doesn't affect sound with the amount of output these pups have. If you are getting nickel covered versions, I wouldn't worry about it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Get a trembuckers for bridge.. but regular jb is ok not a big diff. but if you want to save money buy the combo jb/jazz combo its way cheaper like that - check it out on bay, rather than buying it each pups..

Tags
coil split , coil splitting , ernie ball , fixed bridge , floyd rose , mahogany body , neck position , neck thru , paf pro , pull tone , pull tone pot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode