No sustain with new EVO set !!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy No sustain with new EVO set !!!

Hi,

I just installed Evolution pickups on my RG550EX (F00...)
Eletronic is ok.
Those pickups come from a Jem 555.

Of course I did not expect to get Vai tune but all the threads in the Jemsite say that thoses pickups are supposed to have harmonics, sustain, more screaming, etc...
I Know that my guitar is not an alder jem but there are some old jem in basswood with evo pickups, right ? and of course (I supposed) they are amazing guitars !!!

So here is a picture of my adjustment ( 0,6mm ) and I would really appreciate that if some Jem Owners with basswood body and evo pickups could tell me how much is your gap between the top of your bridge pickup and your E low string. Same question for the neck one.

I really don't understand so please and please again : help me ! I want sustain and even my old V7 and V8 got more of it. So where is my problem ?

Thanks Folks.

Cheers.

Manta.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: No sustain with new EVO set !!!

Oups I mean 6 mm !
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM

Check that the phasing is correct on all pickups.
whats your wiring config? H S H? H H?

Dimarzio humbucker pickups generally have 5 wires
Black -> Red
White -> Green
and bare

Make sure that you are not wiring them (when as humbuckers) like Black -> red + white -> green. that will be out of phase. Correct humbucking, they should have the red and green connected together or black and white connected together then using the others as hot and cold

Im not quite sure what the hot and cold wires are on the V type pickups but have had similar issues installing them before.

Generally I have found that the single coil is usually out of phase.

Evo pickups are very loud and seem to have quite a "sizzly" edge.

hope this helps
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Reviews: 120

That's incorrect for DiMarzios. Red is the hot wire, that goes to the pickup selector. Black and white go together, and green and bare to the back of the pot to ground the pickup. That's for humbuckers anyway.

OP, check your wiring against the correct H-S-H wiring diagram on the DiMarzio site, I'd say you've wired them incorrectly.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That's incorrect for DiMarzios. Red is the hot wire, that goes to the pickup selector. Black and white go together, and green and bare to the back of the pot to ground the pickup. That's for humbuckers anyway.

OP, check your wiring against the correct H-S-H wiring diagram on the DiMarzio site, I'd say you've wired them incorrectly.
That isn't exactly right. What the previous poster said is mostly correct. You see Jems wired that way all the time. I have two where green/red are tied together, white/bare are tied together and black goes to what would normally be the hot output. The only difference I've seen is that in this case, the middle pickup is wired in reverse.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Wow ! ok friends so what is the good diagram for me ?
Which one is the good one (I kept the S1) ?

Manta.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Or the third one :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post

I hope this hasnt confused you. The best method is to try all configs baring in mind that you will notice some are out of phase.

Red does not always have to be hot.

@mantaworld13
the third is the basic and tidier version(image) I would use.

I do tend to flip the coils so that in position 2 and 4, then single coils are on the outside.

But always check the phasing is correct. if out of phase they will sound weak and/or plucky

also you can use a toggle (on/off) to the single coil and then you can have single coil neck and bridge pickups in positions 2 and 4 too. rather than use a toggle switch just use a push/pull pot instead. I use that on the tone pot so its not in the way.

also you can use a push/pull pot on the volume between the cap so you can have that nice treble bypass and also the more traditional volume control as well

hope this has helped
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

That's what i thought ! I made the third diagram when i received the Evos 3 months ago.
So what should I do ? Is there another solution ? I don't think I am the only one to put 2 Evo on a RG550 and kep the S1 pickup in the middle !
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Post Re: No sustain with new EVO set !!!

Test each humbucker individually
Hard wire one humbucker to the jack socket bypassing the volume and other components. This will ensure that you are testing only the pickup and no ther components in the signal chain.

note:
Black -> Red
White -> Green

Join red and green together then set black to hot and white to ground.
Test the signal strength and make notes

Next set black to ground and white to hot.

Some will say this is pointless but I have noticed differences in the past.
Now do the same tests but join the black and white together and use green and red for outputs.

By doing this test you can determine whether the color codes are correct.

Test with a single coil
Connect green(humbucker) to hot and white(humbucker) to ground.
Connect black(single) to hot and white(single) to ground.
Test signal and make notes.

Reverse single coil wires
Test signal and make notes.

You will notice one way the signal will sound weak (out of phase) this is what you don't want.

Give these a try and let me know how you get on before we go forward if you like.

As you may have guessed I don't tend to rely on wiring diagrams as you will notice differences with all pickup brands and phasing is the main issue I have encountered. Although some people actually like that out of phase clucky sound

Hope this helps
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Reviews: 1

Tagging for referance.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys, i will try all that tomorrow.

Manta.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 20
Mantaworld, You should ditch the s1 and get an evo middle, it sounds so significantly better, especially position 2 & 4 which is killer funk tone, think "the boy in seattle"

Anyway theres gotta be something wrong with your evo or your wiring, no matter how close or far the evo in my RG1570 I still get plenty of sustain. Normally I set my evo neck flat with the fretboard, and the bridge 1-2mm higher, I found that's as close as I can get before the sustain turn into unwanted distortion.. My string is set as low as possible without getting fretbuzz.. Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't have a ruler

Last edited by bowie8889; 01-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM

I think it's a bit strange that a new set of pickups should change the actual sustain. The sustain of an instrument is how long a played tone can hang on before it dies, when the guitar is played without amplification. When you plug in you get longer notes because of the feedback, the actual sustain is - or at least should be - the same. I guess the sustain depends on how well the guitar itself is built, and therefore a new set of pickups shouldn't change too much. That's just my opinion.

But no matter what kind of sustain we're talking about, it seems strange that a set of DiMarzio pickups would give less sustain (feedback ) then the stock ones. Hope the problem will be solved soon!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonatanOTG View Post
I think it's a bit strange that a new set of pickups should change the actual sustain. The sustain of an instrument is how long a played tone can hang on before it dies, when the guitar is played without amplification. When you plug in you get longer notes because of the feedback, the actual sustain is - or at least should be - the same. I guess the sustain depends on how well the guitar itself is built, and therefore a new set of pickups shouldn't change too much. That's just my opinion.

But no matter what kind of sustain we're talking about, it seems strange that a set of DiMarzio pickups would give less sustain (feedback ) then the stock ones. Hope the problem will be solved soon!
The first of your answer is very interesting cause i do notice that i have (and it's weird) a better sustain on my other rg550 ltd wich has V7, S1 and V8. Even if it's some ibanez pickups the notes response is longer in time (sorry for my english). So you may be right : those 2 rg550 get the same wood neck and body but the quality could be different. So I will buy another Evo 159 and try ti replace the V8.

Thanks.

Manta.

Tags
dimarzio , evolution , ibanez , rg550ex , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode