Noise (eletric setup) Question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Noise (eletric setup) Question

This question is from a friend of mine;

On a reissue 62 USA Strat (has 3 vintage single's), on switch position 2 and 4 he says the output isn't silenced. He also comments the connections ( grounding etc.) are correct and wondering it its a switch problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Noise (eletric setup) Question

That guitar came stock with a period-accurate 3-way switch installed, but Fender included a 5-way switch with the guitar just in case the new owner wanted to swap it out.

Did your buddy swap it out, have someone else do it--or is it possible the 3-way is still in there???

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Ah yes, he changed the 3 way switch to the 5 way switch himself.

PS; He's very experienced at such things like changing pots, switch etc...

Last edited by mertay; 11-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

Have him bust out the multimeter and check connections......

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll tell him, thanks

By the way, what came to my mind is (though I have zero experience with single coils) shouldn't one coil's phase (middle coil?) must be reversed to silence the output noise?

Since its a re-issue and shematics came with it, I wonder if its a pickup thing?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Question is indeed of the middle pickup is reverse wound. If not there will be hum noise like with the individual coils. However, it won't make crackling noise. In case of that kind of noise there are two possibilities. 1 the switch is dirty and indeed while switching it connects / disconnects. Second there i shorting on the middle pickup / bad soldering of this pickup.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouke74 View Post
Question is indeed of the middle pickup is reverse wound. If not there will be hum noise like with the individual coils. However, it won't make crackling noise. In case of that kind of noise there are two possibilities. 1 the switch is dirty and indeed while switching it connects / disconnects. Second there i shorting on the middle pickup / bad soldering of this pickup.
Thanks, its pretty late here so I'll tell him tomorrow but one last thing incase needed; Lets say the soldering and switch are ok and turns out the middle pickup isn't wound to eliminate hum on switch positions 2 and 4. Can its phase change by soldering a wire different?

I sometimes read people mistakenly change the phase on humbuckers by soldering a wire wrong somewhere, just wondering if this can be replicated on a single coil.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
Thanks, its pretty late here so I'll tell him tomorrow but one last thing incase needed; Lets say the soldering and switch are ok and turns out the middle pickup isn't wound to eliminate hum on switch positions 2 and 4. Can its phase change by soldering a wire different?

I sometimes read people mistakenly change the phase on humbuckers by soldering a wire wrong somewhere, just wondering if this can be replicated on a single coil.
Not if it's only got two wires: hot and ground.
4-conductor, yes--as those other two leads are what does it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Banned

The middle is not reverse wound--it is '62 accurate.

"The pickups, which Fender says are reverse-engineered from a particularly coveted ’63 Stratocaster, are made of Formvar wire wound around Alnico 5 magnets. They have a DC resistance of 5.6K and inductance of 3 Henries, putting them at the very low output end of the spectrum compared to, say, the Texas Special Bridge Pickup which tops out at 7.10K or the ceramic magnet Hot Noiseless designed for Jeff Beck, which gets all the way up to 10.4K.
Controls include a master volume pot as well as tone controls for the neck and middle pickups. All three pickups share the same magnet polarity and winding direction. In later years, guitar companies grew hip to the idea of including a reverse-polarity, reverse-wound middle pickup that would serve to create a humbucking effect when that pickup is combined with one of the others, but since this is a vintage-accurate reissue, you have to deal with any extraneous buzz on all pickup settings. Speaking of which, the pickup switch is a vintage-accurate 3-way version – neck, middle or bridge only – but Fender thoughtfully includes a 5-way switch in the age so you can change it over yourself (or have a tech or guitar store do it for you)."

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode