Norton pickup article - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Norton pickup article

I recently saw this article

http://www.jemsite.com/blog/the-story-of-norton/

I've been using a Norton/Air Norton combo on my guitars since 2005/06. I had a mahogany S series with them in it, and a RG Prestige. The guitar doesn't have to be mahogany OR set neck for the Norton to sound great. And it IS very versatile. Not so hot that the cleans suffer, and not so weak that it takes a lot to get a good O/D sound. Plus it has those harmonics that jump out at you like the Fred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Re: Norton pickup article

I think the title "Story of Norton" is a bit misleading. It didn't say at all where the name Norton came from and was essentially little more than an extremely flowery way of saying exactly what DiMarzio says on their website about this pickup.

I actually just pulled a Norton from my mahogany RG8670. I too am a big fan of Neal Schon but I didn't really care for the Norton in that guitar. I felt that the highs were just too rolled off compared with the other frequencies. I've replaced it with a FRED, but I'm going to try the Norton in a basswood guitar.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

It "sings" more than it "bites" I like that.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Didn't like air-norton so after I half-aired my tonezone I used the metal spacer to half-air the air-norton.

Metal spacer on screws, bright sound and gets thick (petrucci mode as I guess, it what I use now) when metal spacer used on the nail ones. If not half-air (magnet touching the poles) this effects dynamic responce and results in-between tone.

I find it much better for neck shredding although the low-E and A strings might sound muddy if the amp gain very very high. Cleans sound more modern.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Petrucci mode?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 PM

I've always thought the Norton was a hidden gem - great pickup, sadly overlooked.
Algiman is online  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Maybe that's a good thing...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
Petrucci mode?
Well there is little info on web but I think I nailed it after few tries you'll notice upside-down neck pickups on petrucci's ibanez days (later both coils allen screws but its same pickup I guess).

That nail (bolt) single is pretty fat sounding, excellent for shred. I also guess thats how a tonezone is placed on neck (maybe with internal same modification) but I didn't try it.

Dimarzio writes he used air-nortons but I seriously don't believe they weren't modified.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
I've always thought the Norton was a hidden gem - great pickup, sadly overlooked.
You can say that about a lot of pickups. If it didn't come stock in a guitar or have a big endorsement behind it, nobody uses it. I find it hilarious that every time a new pickup comes out, everyone is racing out to put them in their guitars and are saying that they're the greatest pickup ever, regardless of the kind of music you play.

A couple years ago, everyone was doing a Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo in their guitar. Today it seems like I never hear about that and everyone is talking about Dominions or Gravity Storms or something else.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You can say that about a lot of pickups. If it didn't come stock in a guitar or have a big endorsement behind it, nobody uses it. I find it hilarious that every time a new pickup comes out, everyone is racing out to put them in their guitars and are saying that they're the greatest pickup ever, regardless of the kind of music you play.

A couple years ago, everyone was doing a Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo in their guitar. Today it seems like I never hear about that and everyone is talking about Dominions or Gravity Storms or something else.
which is why I have always ended up with Super Distortions
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah I noticed that too.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Isn't always like that, no matter what thing you're talking about? The new thing is always in, the old stuff always goes out of style.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM

On a side note, it's cool that he talked about Project Gotham Racing. I worked on that game. Takes me back.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Isn't always like that, no matter what thing you're talking about? The new thing is always in, the old stuff always goes out of style.
Only to those concerned about trends, and less about playing.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:

I have a black GS bridge I need to send you to try out. That way you can see that I'm not on a bandwagon it's just a great pickup.......... either that or I'll get you on the bandwagon....

Tags
norton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode