Norton substitution (with more bottom end) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Question Norton substitution (with more bottom end)

Hi everybody,

After several months with my norton in bridge position of an ash-bodied guitar (Kawai Aquarius) I find the pup having not enough bottom end for my taste.

The alternatives appear to be the AT-1 or the Breed bridge,TZ and, why not, the SD.
Considering the guitar as trebly and with a double whammy in the neck position (which gives a nice tone) I'd like a bassier/warmer tone that I have today.
If I switch in parallel the norton and the double whammy (each one being in normal series connection) the tone is very very similar to the tone of the double whammy alone, with slightly more treble. I'd like 3 different tones if possible, I remember having paralleled an EVO2 and this double whammy in a basswood body guitar and the parallel tone (2 pups) was way different than the tones of each pup alone.
I also tried the EVO2 in the Aquarius, it also was too trebly.
I tried to change the pot ohmic value, but kept the 500kohm pots, with a 250kohm the double whammy was too muddy.

Would another pup match my wishes?
Thanks for sharing your ideas guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Norton substitution (with more bottom end)

Sounds like it's time for the Tone Zone. The Tone Zone is fantastic for brighter body woods, and may be just the thing you are looking for.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Sounds like it's time for the Tone Zone. The Tone Zone is fantastic for brighter body woods, and may be just the thing you are looking for.
Hi LP, thaks for your advice. Time for a TZ, why not?

The DiMarzio tech advised me the Gravity storm bridge.
I know you had a chance to install them and review them before they were available for sale. Do you think it would make it?
I'm not that sure...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM

What do you want tone wise? The Tone Zone is a more agressive pickup than the Gravity Storm. If you are after a hard and heavy rhythm pickup that can also scream and not get thin higher up the fretboard then the Tone Zone is your pick. If you want a little friendlier, although capable of still screaming then go with the Gravity Storm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What do you want tone wise? The Tone Zone is a more agressive pickup than the Gravity Storm. If you are after a hard and heavy rhythm pickup that can also scream and not get thin higher up the fretboard then the Tone Zone is your pick. If you want a little friendlier, although capable of still screaming then go with the Gravity Storm.
I not necessarily want an agressive tone, but I think both can scream if the amp/rig settings are fot that purpose.
On the other hand, I suppose the TZ can be used for softer things.
I prefer trading my norton than buying a new pup, so the TZ might be easier to find.

The DiMarzio tech also advised the AT-1. Do you have some experience with this one? The AT-1 description pretty much corresponds to what I want.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM

No I haven't tried one. It's apparently based on a JB that works better with 500K pots, and has a bit more low end than a JB.

I'd try the Tone Zone. If it's a little too aggressive for you you can lower the pickup a little, or half-air it if it's still too hot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Another option if you aren't adverse to trying Seymour Duncan is the Custom. It's a pretty fat pickup, without being too heavy in the low end. It's a PAF on steriods, and it really sings and screams. It's a little easier to work with than the Tone Zone in terms of dialing it in.

I've got a new in the box one that's unopened in the classifieds if you are interested. Trembucker spaced. I've got one in one guitar at home, but ended up accidentally with a second, so selling it to help fund a strat build.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Norton substitution (with more bottom end)

Quote:
Another option if you aren't adverse to trying Seymour Duncan is the Custom. It's a pretty fat pickup, without being too heavy in the low end. It's a PAF on steriods, and it really sings and screams. It's a little easier to work with than the Tone Zone in terms of dialing it in.

I've got a new in the box one that's unopened in the classifieds if you are interested. Trembucker spaced. I've got one in one guitar at home, but ended up accidentally with a second, so selling it to help fund a strat build.
Thx for the proposal, I'm not against SD but you live in Australia and I'm in France, the shipping cost will be way too high.
I'll try to get a used TZ.

Tags
at-1 , gravity storm , norton , tone zone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode