Not enough electricity or is it dirty? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Fry

Not enough electricity or is it dirty?

I found out today at my lesson that it is not my guitars pickups or electronics that are making this weird fret buzing noise when I play. (It's like ding ding ding after I hit a note.) It has something to do with the electricity in my house. I have three amps and 4 guitars, and all sorts of cables, and it does it through all the amps. My guitar sounded perfect through my teachers amp though. Is this dirty electricity in my house, or not enough? What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 02:44 AM

get a Furman
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Fry

What is a Furman?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 3
Manufacturer that makes power conditioners if im not mistaken....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:07 PM

A Furman is a make of power conditioner, though there are other manufacturers. They take out spikes and noise from the mains, providing your kit with a more stable power source. I use one to power my rack effects and amp head, and the whole rig is quieter for it, plus I can now safely run the whole lot off one power point! There are cheaper solutions if you are only running one amp. Most power conditioners are designed to run several units.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Fry

About how much is a good one?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 05:16 PM

I don't think that my Furman PL-Pro E is manufactured anymore, I believe that they were around £450 originally, but it was a fairly high class unit in its day! If memory serves it can power 8 units. There are fairly cheap devices that power only one or 2 units, and as technology has improved the price has fallen. However, if your mains is really that noisy it might be worth trying to find out what is causing the noise first. Fridges are often a cause of noise for example. Go round the house and unplug things one at a time, retry your amps, and see if there is an improvement.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Fry

Hmm. I don't know a lot about electricity in a house, but the only things that should affect my amp, are on the same circuit right? ahh ill just unplug everything anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 06:44 PM

Not necessarily, it could even be in your neighbour’s house! But the best way to start would be with things close by.

Tags
amp head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode