NPD: At-1 and cruiser bridges - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

NPD: At-1 and cruiser bridges

So I finally got my 560 back from the shop.

I've only played it a little bit but wow, the AT-1 is AMAZING. It's so clear and plays amazing on clean channel. Switch to high gain stuff and it stays REALLY clear and imo the best possible setting is some gain with pumped volume. The notes just sing so clearly (even for a guitar hack like me who can't even get my squealies down perfect every time).

Speaking of harmonics, Even for a noob like me, it's so easy to get harmonics to just sing.

The cruisers are awesome. The bridge in the neck position is just incredible. The notes stay clear, even with some gain and are overall very balanced.

Now keep in mind, Andy has an alder body hardtail with maple neck/fretboard, this 560 is basswood body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. His guitar is also a 22 fret 25" scale, mine is a standard Ibanez RG (24 fret, 24" scale iirc),. Even so, all of these pickups sound AMAZING.

As for the coil tapping, I didnt do it with the AT-1 and middle cruiser. I set it up standard strat HSS with the full AT-1 linked to the middle. It's awesome. I'm so glad I did it this way. The overall balance of both pups really stand out and give it a little more meat than just the middle single.

Overall, this is probably the best pickup swap I've done on any of my guitars. The sound is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: NPD: At-1 and cruiser bridges

Sweet! That is an excellent set of pickups!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Sweet! That is an excellent set of pickups!
When I posted my NGD for this 560, were you the one suggesting I put this set of pups in here? I remember someone saying "hey you should put Andy Timmons' set in there."
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 PM

The At1 is one of my favorite pickups, as it covers so much ground so well. It sounds good for damn near everything. lol
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
The At1 is one of my favorite pickups, as it covers so much ground so well. It sounds good for damn near everything. lol
Have you ever tried it in the neck?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Have you ever tried it in the neck?
That I haven't done, but it's in my 2 H-S-S guitars, so the thought wouldn't have crossed my mind. lol
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
That I haven't done, but it's in my 2 H-S-S guitars, so the thought wouldn't have crossed my mind. lol
lol I'm debating whether I want to put 2 at-1s in bridge and neck position in my rg2550, but I'm also I'm wondering what woudl be a good neck humbucker that would work well with the AT-1. PAF pro or mo joe crossed my mind but my 560 is now probably going to be my main standard tuning axe. It was my 1550, but the AT-1 is just so amazing
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
mine is a standard Ibanez RG (24 fret, 24" scale iirc)
The RG is 25,5" scale. Just to let you know ;-)

Quote:
As for the coil tapping, I didnt do it with the AT-1 and middle cruiser. I set it up standard strat HSS with the full AT-1 linked to the middle. It's awesome. I'm so glad I did it this way. The overall balance of both pups really stand out and give it a little more meat than just the middle single.
If you coil tap the bridge and not the middle you will not get hum cancelling, the cruiser is a humbucker in reality, so you would have to coil tap both of them.

BTW I have a RG560 Purple neon just as yours, I bought it new back in 93 as my first real guitar and I could never sell it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777 View Post
The RG is 25,5" scale. Just to let you know ;-)

If you coil tap the bridge and not the middle you will not get hum cancelling, the cruiser is a humbucker in reality, so you would have to coil tap both of them.

BTW I have a RG560 Purple neon just as yours, I bought it new back in 93 as my first real guitar and I could never sell it.
My bad, I always get little details like that mixed up

That's cool, mine's a 1990 Is it really a rare color that is hard to find? Seems most people have 550s or 570s but not 560s It's an incredible guitar, I love my 560.

I love my 550 too but it's just got a lot of problems that you expect to get with used guitars (but my 560 was so well taken care of before I got it, it's amazing). My 560 has one little chip near the input jack and that's it. When I had the pups changed to these, I had the shop do an overall check of everything and there wasn't a single problem with it. The cool thing is, the previous owner switched the bridge to a lo-pro so I get an original edge with my 550 and a lo-pro in my 560

Did you change the pups in your 560?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Did you change the pups in your 560?
Yes, it has had a lot of pickup changes through the years. From EMG's to duncan and DiMarzio's, and obviously it had the V2, S1, S1 originally. At the moment it has IBZUSAF2, HS2, and Fast track 1. All in purple colour. The F2 will stay, with my amp setup there is nothing that sounds better at the bridge, and I have tested a lot of pickups.
At position 2 it has a very good strat quack, so I like it, but I will probably try out some more single coils in the future.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, it has had a lot of pickup changes through the years. From EMG's to duncan and DiMarzio's, and obviously it had the V2, S1, S1 originally. At the moment it has IBZUSAF2, HS2, and Fast track 1. All in purple colour. The F2 will stay, with my amp setup there is nothing that sounds better at the bridge, and I have tested a lot of pickups.
At position 2 it has a very good strat quack, so I like it, but I will probably try out some more single coils in the future.
I like the F2 also, but that's in my 550

The F2/Ibanez S1 coil tap actually sounds pretty nice, good quack, but I'm debating on getting the IBZUSA C2 or something else in the middle.

I can say, the Cruiser is really nice man. Yeah it's a humbucker but it sounds really nice.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

The C2 is pretty much a HS2 so don't buy an expensive one.
My favorte quack at the moment is the evo neck with the coil towards the neck along with the evo single. My Jem90 sounds more stratty than my blackmore strat.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The C2 is pretty much a HS2 so don't buy an expensive one.
My favorte quack at the moment is the evo neck with the coil towards the neck along with the evo single. My Jem90 sounds more stratty than my blackmore strat.
Wooo, maybe I should do that to my 350 (It has evos in all positions).

I kidna like the IBZUSA F2 and F4 tapped with the S1. I also like the Gravity storms with the S1 as well, they get a nice Strat sound, the GS bridge with S1 gets a slight twang to it, sounds a little like a tele with a little gain (not high gain though).
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 PM

The At-1 and Cruiser combo has been my go to set for a while,.. I have it in my AT-10, (obviously), a Greco WP, although slightly modified in a few RV,s (they are routed H/s/H so no cruiser in neck, the Eric Johnson Neck model is a good alternative).

Only issue is cosmetic,.. I kept finding little bits of black dust on my AT-10 pickguard, then noticed the black on the cruiser blades was rubbing off any time the strings touched. When it all rubbed off I touched up with a black marker. Someone suggested a coat of clear nail polish on top, but I'm not as bothered by the non black cruiser blades as I was with the black dust on my white pickguard.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
The At-1 and Cruiser combo has been my go to set for a while,.. I have it in my AT-10, (obviously), a Greco WP, although slightly modified in a few RV,s (they are routed H/s/H so no cruiser in neck, the Eric Johnson Neck model is a good alternative).

Only issue is cosmetic,.. I kept finding little bits of black dust on my AT-10 pickguard, then noticed the black on the cruiser blades was rubbing off any time the strings touched. When it all rubbed off I touched up with a black marker. Someone suggested a coat of clear nail polish on top, but I'm not as bothered by the non black cruiser blades as I was with the black dust on my white pickguard.
Meh, cosmetic things like that aren't a big deal. My 560 doesnt even have a pickguard either lol

BTW, how it the AT-10P? I'm really GASsed on getting one (as I have no hardtail guitars in my arsenal, and I love the AT pups). Also how does it compare to the 100?

Tags
at-1 , cruiser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode