NPD: Paf Pro - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Cool NPD: Paf Pro

Hi there

Since a few months I became a bit bored by the EQ of the paf joe in neck position of my RG550, and after modifying the tone circuit (which eventually ended by reducing most of the overtones, harmonics) I decided to go with a paf pro.
I installed in this week I must say that I'm surprised: it is very close to the paf joe with a tad more bass and a tad less highs, just as the DiMarzio EQ values show.

I'm pretty happy with that. I stll have to try it in the next days with my band but I'm quite confident as I was able to go out of the mix with the paf joe but was not out of the mix enough with an air norton. My band mates told me that I was like damped depending on my pickup configuration.

Anyway I think I have a new winner combo: EVO2 - virtual 2 middle - Paf Pro!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Re: NPD: Paf Pro

I dunno man, AT-1/Cruiser/PAF pro seems like a nice setup too

What color did you get?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm searching for a paf pro as a trade with a double whammy. For the moment I stick with the DW as long as I'm no opportunity.

I got all my pickups in black, I'm not that fancy with pickups, lol
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I tested the PP in band situation, this was just what I was searching for!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM

The Paf Pro neck is fat with plenty of bass. It made my AT-1 sound thin in the bridge, by comparison. I ran an Air Zone with the Paf Pro and it balanced better. I have a Duncan Full Shred neck in the guitar with the At-1, and it balances better. Of course, but of these guitars are 22 fret models. If you have a 24 fretter, the Paf Pro may be a bit brighter and less fat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

the paf pro is in a 24 fretter, no worries. It balances well with the EVO2!
the paf joe is now in a 22 fretter, fits good!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 AM

Reviews: 10

Glad you found the right pup for your setup! I've yet to try a Paf Pro but I've always wanted to try one…I figured the Paf 36th anniversary that I have in 2 of my RG's is probably close enough so I didn't want to shell out the $ to try the PP but I still hope to try a PP someday…happy NPD!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Glad you found the right pup for your setup! I've yet to try a Paf Pro but I've always wanted to try one…I figured the Paf 36th anniversary that I have in 2 of my RG's is probably close enough so I didn't want to shell out the $ to try the PP but I still hope to try a PP someday…happy NPD!!!
I have a PAF Pro in the neck position, with a Super Distortion in the bridge of my RG550, I also have an RG1550 with a set of Evolutions.
I love them both, but I always seem to prefer the RG550 over the RG1550 for tone. (And feel, but that's another discussion).
The PAF Pro has a nice clear, not over-saturated sound to it with overdrive and a clean sound that just sparkles, and the Super Distortion just screams, no matter how much gain you use.
I may change the p/ups in my 1550 and see how that goes, I like the PAF Pro/Super Distortion combination so much. (Not that I don't like the Evos, mind you. )
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
I have a PAF Pro in the neck position, with a Super Distortion in the bridge of my RG550, I also have an RG1550 with a set of Evolutions.
I love them both, but I always seem to prefer the RG550 over the RG1550 for tone. (And feel, but that's another discussion).
The PAF Pro has a nice clear, not over-saturated sound to it with overdrive and a clean sound that just sparkles, and the Super Distortion just screams, no matter how much gain you use.
I may change the p/ups in my 1550 and see how that goes, I like the PAF Pro/Super Distortion combination so much. (Not that I don't like the Evos, mind you. )
If you want a PAF Pro I've got an older green one from a Jem. It's wires were super shirt when I got it so I added some wires to reach the neck position. It's a bit beat and currently has an Alnico 8 magnet which gives it a bit more output and beef. Sounds very cool in the bridge or neck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

A paf pro with an A8 magnet would be interesting!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 AM

It's pretty damned cool. More muscular and more output, but still that PAF Pro vibe.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Yes, kind of a ceramic behavior, would be great. Where did you get the A8 magnet from?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM

Ordered them off eBay. I have a few of them lying around for experimenting with.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM

Got a PAF Pro in here. Pretty good.

Tags
paf joe , paf joe vs paf pro , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode