Observations on EVO2 Bridge - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Observations on EVO2 Bridge

Before I state my own observations, I'd just like to hear what anyone had to say if they had experience switching from something like a tone zone to an evo or evo2 pickup in their bridge position.

What was the thing you immediately noticed?
There is a big difference between the two in practice on my guitar, but I want to hear someone else describe it to me...

Begin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Observations on EVO2 Bridge

I've not "switched" from a Tone Zone to an Evo, but I've avoided the Tone Zone in my own guitars.

I find the Tone Zone is just too fat for me. The Evo by comparison to me is much harder, tighter and leaner. That said I love the sound of the Tone Zone when John Petrucci used it on Images and Words!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 AM

Reviews: 6

EVO 2 has way less bass, but still has great punch and cuts very well through the mix (lots of mids). The TZ is in fact too much for me, the EVO2 seems to be the perfect bridge pup FWIW.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM

The bass was way too tight on the evo and it was somewhat shrill to me. The evo two had less power and bit more of an open feeling but the bass was still way too tight.

The tone zone sort of sounded like Paul Gilbert in a pickup , at least with his earlier tone. I like the tone zone and the evo line is my least favorite dimarzio line.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 AM

I like the Evo 1 bridge because it has lots of power. For something cleaner, I prefer the Gravity storm Bridge over the Evos but personally the Evo is a nice pup. I havent tried the evo 2 though.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I like the Evo 1 bridge because it has lots of power. For something cleaner, I prefer the Gravity storm Bridge over the Evos but personally the Evo is a nice pup. I havent tried the evo 2 though.
Evo2 is a really weird pickup. It has a lot of headroom and makes you work a bit more because of the dynamics. Tone zone is very one-dimensional.

Someone mentioned open....that was my observation. I dont detect any tightness at all. The chords are thick and open. The notes sing, but don't cut.

The tone zone did most of the work for me. This pickup requires a lot more, but I like it. Even over the past week, it's improved my playing in areas I didnt think needed improvement with the tone zone.

Another thing...it's really funny to hear so many different results. The variables guitar to guitar are crazy. This is why I asked.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
The bass was way too tight on the evo and it was somewhat shrill to me. The evo two had less power and bit more of an open feeling but the bass was still way too tight.

The tone zone sort of sounded like Paul Gilbert in a pickup , at least with his earlier tone. I like the tone zone and the evo line is my least favorite dimarzio line.
Paul Gilbert in a pickup...that is a very good description! I agree!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
Evo2 is a really weird pickup. It has a lot of headroom and makes you work a bit more because of the dynamics. Tone zone is very one-dimensional.

Someone mentioned open....that was my observation. I dont detect any tightness at all. The chords are thick and open. The notes sing, but don't cut.

The tone zone did most of the work for me. This pickup requires a lot more, but I like it. Even over the past week, it's improved my playing in areas I didnt think needed improvement with the tone zone.

Another thing...it's really funny to hear so many different results. The variables guitar to guitar are crazy. This is why I asked.
Just so you know, my Evos are in my Indo 350EXZ, Basswood body, Wizard 3 maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Reviews: 6

The OP is asking about the EVO2 (DP215), not the original EVO (DP159).
I guess there might be a liitle confusion here.

btw, I did not find any issue with the dynamics of the EVO2 (I play with it for more than 7 years)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post

btw, I did not find any issue with the dynamics of the EVO2 (I play with it for more than 7 years)
No, not at all. I find that I've been missing out on a lot where the dynamics are concerned. The Tone Zone for example, is a very easily distorted pickup with not a whole lot of dynamic headroom. I like the ability on the evo2 to get different sounds with changes in picking and actually using the volume and tone. It's opened my ears up quite a bit.

But yes, I was talking about the evo2. It is definitely different than the original evo.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post

I know he is talking about the evo 2. I have only had the chance to use GS and Evo 1 so I was just stating my impressions.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know he is talking about the evo 2. I have only had the chance to use GS and Evo 1 so I was just stating my impressions.
It's ok.

SUPPOSEDLY, they are similar with the evo2 having more headroom.
My guitar is apart right now waiting for some other goodies but we'll discuss this more in a few days.

It just doesn't sound like the verbal descriptions I am getting from other people. And I actually like the way it sounds a lot, but I'm wondering if it's the result of me doing something wrong. If so, I can fix it, or maybe I stumbled onto something cool. We'll see.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
It's ok.

SUPPOSEDLY, they are similar with the evo2 having more headroom.
My guitar is apart right now waiting for some other goodies but we'll discuss this more in a few days.

It just doesn't sound like the verbal descriptions I am getting from other people. And I actually like the way it sounds a lot, but I'm wondering if it's the result of me doing something wrong. If so, I can fix it, or maybe I stumbled onto something cool. We'll see.
I've heard some people compare the GS bridge to the evo 2 as the lower output evo 2. The gravity storms do sing a little different with hard picking versus light picking. Really nice pup. I wonder if the Evo 2s are the same way...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard some people compare the GS bridge to the evo 2 as the lower output evo 2. The gravity storms do sing a little different with hard picking versus light picking. Really nice pup. I wonder if the Evo 2s are the same way...
Yes. They do.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Just want to share my experience connected with Evo2.

I just swapped my Dominion bridge with Evo2 last week. I used Evo neck since I changed my stock pickup in my RG, and I'm happy with it.

When I paired my Evo (neck) with Dominion (bridge), somehow the sound of the Evo is too overpowered and overly bright compared with Dominion (and Breed bridge also, previously). So, I flipped the Evo neck (from cable exit toward the bridge, I flipped to become toward the neck), then somehow it's like the Evo (neck) & Dominion/Breed (bridge) is like synch talking to each others well.

After months of happiness using the combination (Evo & Dominion), and how I loved the Dominion when doing heavy rhythm, somehow I never like its sound when doing solo. Compared to Evo neck, it's just lack of character, not so cool. So I decide to try Evo2.

IMO, Evo2 sounds better when doing solo compared with Dominion. It has a cool sound character in the high & mid, and has quite tight bass yet still punchy when doing rhythm, though not as amazing as the ultimate rhythm engine: the Dominion bridge. And the best thing I love about Evo2 is its capability to clean up well when the volume is rolled down, amazingly useful. Its clean and split coil sounds are great, too.

But suddenly I feel that the flipped Evo neck sounds muddy compared with Evo2 though I keep the EQ of my gears the same. Then yes, it's time to flipped back the Evo neck again to synch with its comrade

Last edited by bang_jalil; 12-16-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode