OK, pickup time - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
OK, pickup time

I bought a RG350MZ a little while ago, and am thinking about replacing the pickups. I like a bit more definition than the stockers offer (because, let's face it, they don't really offer any), but kind of like where they sit tonewise. They could stand to fatten up a bit, but as far as I am concerned, that's it.

Here's the hiccup -- I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am currently leaning towards the Tone Zone, but am hesitant to blow the money, given that this guitar didn't cost me all that much. If I could get semi close to that with a budget pickup, it would be super.

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: OK, pickup time

There's a million threads about it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post

There's a million threads about it.
[sarcasm on] In the pickups forum? The hell you say! And they all asked for exactly the same parameters as I did. How constructive of you to suggest the obvious![sarcasm off]

I searched already, thanks, and yes, there are a million threads -- so much so that it's impossible to sift through it all and get the answers I want to see. I am looking for people's input from experience, not just "save up for some Dimarzios" or "Guitarheads suck, GFS rules the budget pickup market," and the like, which seems to be the bulk of the responses searching provided.

If someone says "Hexbuckers are the way to fly/Hexbuckers blow goats," I want to know why they feel this way. Too hot/not hot enough? Great low end, but too muddy?

I can easily afford a couple of Dimarzios, but it feels wrong to me to do so on an extremely inexpensive guitar that I paid for thanks to a gift card and some change rolling -- my parsimonious nature coming through once again.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 PM

I see a lot people talking about not spending the money on pickups for a cheaper guitar...that's a bit of nonsense IMO. If you are going to use it regularly and you think the Tone Zone will get you the sound you want with it, then go for it. If you buy a lesser pickup that only improves it a bit, you might not be completely happy and then you are stuck with a piece of gear that suddenly isn't worth playing that much.

Besides, pickups aren't a bad investment. Worst come to worst, you can take them out again and put on a better guitar later on. Just remember to keep the stock pups around

As far as which pickup to get, the Dimarzio site is very useful on getting you a few options. In fact, it suggested the Tone Zone using your description on the pickup picker
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 15

This should help: http://www.jemsite.com/shopping/prod...65/cutby:5.66/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

What exactly are you after--tone wise?
Hard to recommend anything without specifics.
But, for inexpensive pickups--GFS has some decent budget stuff.
I really like the VEH set.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I was just about to say the same thing. GFS makes great pickups. I have tried most of the humbuckers they make. The crunchy PATs are awesome., they have nice blend of crunch and clarity. If you want full blown metal, go with the Power Rails.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I bought a RG350MZ a little while ago, and am thinking about replacing the pickups. I like a bit more definition than the stockers offer (because, let's face it, they don't really offer any), but kind of like where they sit tonewise. They could stand to fatten up a bit, but as far as I am concerned, that's it.

Here's the hiccup -- I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am currently leaning towards the Tone Zone, but am hesitant to blow the money, given that this guitar didn't cost me all that much. If I could get semi close to that with a budget pickup, it would be super.

Any recommendations?
A Seymour Duncan JB/jazz set, only $130 at GC, may be an option. They are used for a very wide variety of music, from Metallica to jazz and gets by and definition is their middle name.

Now if you want absolute note definition and punch, then active EMGs can do the trick but they cost considerably more.

Here's the Duncans:

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-27-2012 at 06:37 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM

You can get a used Tone Zone for $40-$50.

Or, try GFS, I hve their Surf 90 set and love it!
The Surf 90s are not what you want, try the VEH set.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm looking for warm and full, bit with enough output to get the job done. I mainly play hard rock, ranging to metal, but love to play blues as well.

I thought about the VEH set, but every sample I've heard seems to have too much treble for my liking, and not enough bottom. I'd like something warmer, rounder, fuller. I have a Fat PAT in one of my guitars, and do like it a lot, but I think the fact that I decked the bridge and added a brass block contribute to a lot of its warmth in that guitar.

And actives are out for this guitar. I just prefer passives.

The more I think about this, the more I think I'll have to nab a Tone Zone and appropriate neck pickup. After all, I can swap them out if need be, or if I decide to sell.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Maybe the Crunchy PAT would work...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe the Crunchy PAT would work...
I have a zebra set of PATs in my Fireman,, and another bridge one in one of my explorers. love them!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I have a zebra set of PATs in my Fireman,, and another bridge one in one of my explorers. love them!!
I had some once in a Jackson--very nice sound!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 PM

PAF Pfo make a nice neck Pu for the TZ-

Tags
budget pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode