Opinions on the DiMarzio IBZ's?? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on the DiMarzio IBZ's??

I have many guitars with various PU's from EMG 81/60's, to passive EMG's as well as the original V1/V2 on my original RG550, etc. But, my absolute favorite PU's are the DiMarzio's IBZ's on my RG1XXV. I brought it to jam with some friends and they think they are awful and told me to replace them ( we play various metal as well as shred). No chance in hell that's going to happen but I was curious what you guys here think of them ( for those who played them or have them)? I know it's different strokes.... Just curious what others think of them here, good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Opinions on the DiMarzio IBZ's??

The DiMarzio/IBZ set in my Premium are the best stock humbuckers I've ever heard.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 04-09-2012 at 11:01 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM

I have had dozens of guitars and litteraly have 50 different pickups to try in them.....to get the best set up.....
the dimarzio IBZ's are stayin in my premium....1st guitar that will not get a pickup change
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM

I like the ones in my RG2570. They have a nice tone to them but they are a bit hot for my taste.

Oddly enough, I did the magnet swap in the V7 and V8 in my 1550 and love them, better than the Evos in my RG550 and the DiMarzio/IBZ in my RG2570.

I was thinking of picking up some Vs to do the mod with and put them in those guitars as well... but I digress.

The DiMarzio/IBZ are great for really hard rock and metal, but they lose something when you try to clean them up, in my opinion. I end up saving the 2570 for the heavier stuff and go with my 550 or 1550 for everything else.

I do have my 550 wired like a 'special' 520 though, so I have a neck single coil when I need it... I might try that wiring with the D/IBZ pups and let you know what I find.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
I like the ones in my RG2570. They have a nice tone to them but they are a bit hot for my taste.

Oddly enough, I did the magnet swap in the V7 and V8 in my 1550 and love them, better than the Evos in my RG550 and the DiMarzio/IBZ in my RG2570.

I was thinking of picking up some Vs to do the mod with and put them in those guitars as well... but I digress.

The DiMarzio/IBZ are great for really hard rock and metal, but they lose something when you try to clean them up, in my opinion. I end up saving the 2570 for the heavier stuff and go with my 550 or 1550 for everything else.

I do have my 550 wired like a 'special' 520 though, so I have a neck single coil when I need it... I might try that wiring with the D/IBZ pups and let you know what I find.
I've been wanting to get around to Stephen's magnet swap mod one if these days.
After I can finish up a certain pedal, I may get around to that mod.
I've also got a mod to brighten up the DiMarzio/IBZs in my Premium that I'll get to eventually as well.
If it turns out as expected, I'll post the tut.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 AM

The stock pups in the RG1XXV are not something I'd keep.
The bridge pup is okay, just a little bit too low output for me, lacking some ummf.
The neck pickup is really low output. I could hear a noticeably big drop in volume and distortion when I flipped from bridge to neck on that guitar.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 AM

I just bought a Dimarzio/IBZ from a member here on the site - I'm planning on using it on a cheapie guitar as an upgrade. I had a set in my RG2550 and loved them (though didn't end up keeping the guitar).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
I just bought a Dimarzio/IBZ from a member here on the site - I'm planning on using it on a cheapie guitar as an upgrade. I had a set in my RG2550 and loved them (though didn't end up keeping the guitar).
Keep in mind--there are different "flavors" of DiMarzio/IBZ pickups. The ones in the Premiums sound very different than the older ones. Not sure if the ones in the 25th Anniversary RGs are the same as the RG920s.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 AM

They are OK pickups, don't fancy them though. many people expect a full-on DiMarzio performance from these units but they just sound, well, different.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX View Post
They are OK pickups, don't fancy them though. many people expect a full-on DiMarzio performance from these units but they just sound, well, different.
But they are Dimarzios...they're built by dimarzio, and they're really just slightly differently wound Dimarzio designs. They're based on the Norton and the Tone Zone IIRC.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX View Post
Have you heard the new ones in the Premium line? They're really good.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm going to replace mine.
I trying to decide if I want Pick again or change it up a bit and add another color to the mix.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I'm going to replace mine.
I trying to decide if I want Pick again or change it up a bit and add another color to the mix.
I'd consider changing the magnets in yours......switch the ceramics for an A8 or maybe an A8 bridge-A5 neck??? I think these pups are ripe to mod........great structure and easily (and cheaply) modded.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 AM

IBZs. those are good. real dimarzios are better, and don't even bother asking - i have no idea why.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 1

DiMarzio/IBZ's in my RG927QM aren't the best stock pickups I've heard but they are up there with my RG8170F and RG8420ZE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode