Opinions on pickups? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on pickups?

Howdy fellow Jemsiters

Lately i've been unhappy with the tone in 3 of my guitars, so i'm going to do a pickup swap, and I was interested to hear what other people think about my pickup choices.

I have a Charvel Fusion Custom, which is 24.75 scale with basswood body, floyd bridge and bolt on neck. It has a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge, and it's way too wooly and thick. I'm thinking of putting a Dimarzio Evo in it for more cut.

I also have a Ltd Mh400, with floyd bridge, mahogany body, set neck and 25.5 scale. It currently has an Emg 81/85 set, and I don't like the compressed tone. I'm looking at a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge and a Paf Pro in the neck.

The last one is a Ltd Mh1000, and it's a set neck, mahogany body, 25.5 scale with fixed bridge and string thru body. It has a Duncan Jb in the bridge, and I don't like the "twangyness" of the Jb. I have been thinking about a Duncan Dimebag or a Dimarzio super 3.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:59 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Opinions on pickups?

Do you know what those pickup combos will sound like through your gear? I am totally a dimarzio guy, so I don't think you can go wrong with what you're thinking. That doesn't mean you'll like them. If you can try out guitars with those pickups through your setup, or something real similar, that would be a good testing point. It's all about what sounds pleasing to you. They're your guitars and there's almost no wrong choice...good luck man
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Re: Opinions on pickups?

im completely a dimarzio guy also...i would try the seymour duncan shred-fest..or i cant remember its name!..but its the only one the have like this..its a great pickup...and makes your lead sound really superly defined and clear which is what your after
neck pup only however

the evo sounds great for your bridge but what do you use you bridge for...cutting rhythm tone or what?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Opinions on pickups?

If I'm recording I'll use the neck pickup for leads, but live stuff I'll use the bridge for all my distorted or overdriven stuff. Seems to cut a little bit more for my taste. Clean stuff I always go 4th position... On a H-S-H configuration. So it'll depend upon what you're doing and what you're after. I'm 38, and at this point I know exactly what I want, and how to obtain it, but it took a lot of experimenting along the way. The more stuff you try, the more informed your taste will be...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your info/advice

I've tried the Evo and the D-Sonic and the Paf Pro, and I liked what I heard, so my mind is pretty much made up, although I would still like to get advice or comments on these choices.

When it comes to the Duncan Dimebucker v's the Dimarzio Super 3, the jury is still out. They both sound like they would suit a mahogany body, and would both suit high gain tones. Unfortunately, I havn't been able to try either of them myself, so any info or advice would be great.

I would really like some info from anyone who has tried the pickups i'm looking at in guitars with similar specs. I would also like to hear from anyone who has the same guitars, but have chosen different pickups. All opinions and advice are appreciated.

Rock on!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 PM

have you tried the emgs on 18v? try that before you switch your pups
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Tried the 18v, and it was much better than 9v, but the tone still seemed to lack something to my ears. It sounds much fuller, with more headroom, but it still sounded "processed" if that makes sense?

Thanks for the info

Rock on!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
im completely a dimarzio guy also...i would try the seymour duncan shred-fest..or i cant remember its name!..but its the only one the have like this..its a great pickup...and makes your lead sound really superly defined and clear which is what your after
neck pup only however

the evo sounds great for your bridge but what do you use you bridge for...cutting rhythm tone or what?
I think you're referring to the Full Shred, Shredfest is the name of one of my U-G colums, lol.

Anyway, you're not going to go wrong with any combo. If you don't like the sqwakiness of the JB, try the Breed. The breed is thick and creamy, and it's got a little more bass imo and the highs roll off nicer.

That D-Sonic/PAF Pro combo sounds REALLY good, I'm actually thinking of trying out that combo with an HS-2 sandwiched between them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM

I've always been a Dimarzio guy, really. The Steve Special is a fantastic bridge pickup, and the cruiser single coil is amazing as well. No wonder Mr tone king Andy Timmons uses it . I also recently tried a Xiphos (not for the guitar really but just to test out the new Dimarzio D Activator pickups) and was quite impressed...so impressed that one is definitely going in the bridge of my new custom guitar.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvai View Post
have you tried the emgs on 18v? try that before you switch your pups
I don't mean to steer the thread off course but what does the 18v mod do to the sound of the EMGs.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I found that the 18v mod opened up alot more headroom and removed alot of the compression from the sound.

Even with the 18v mod, they still retain the super clean/sterile tone actives are famous for.

In my opinion the 18v mod improves the tone alot, but I still prefer the "organic" tones from passives. Emg's just sound too "digital" for my tastes.

It's a fairly simple mod to perform, so if you are interested, give it a go, it's quite easy to change back if you don't like it.

Rock on!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:30 AM

i completely understand what you mean by saying their 'digital'
completely
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 AM

try this, http://humbucker.biz/hp31363/Hot-Stuff.htm
this ''Hot Stuff'' sounds like old Van Halen's frankenstein guitar to me,
regards.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Thanks for your info/advice

I've tried the Evo and the D-Sonic and the Paf Pro, and I liked what I heard, so my mind is pretty much made up, although I would still like to get advice or comments on these choices.

When it comes to the Duncan Dimebucker v's the Dimarzio Super 3, the jury is still out. They both sound like they would suit a mahogany body, and would both suit high gain tones. Unfortunately, I havn't been able to try either of them myself, so any info or advice would be great.

I would really like some info from anyone who has tried the pickups i'm looking at in guitars with similar specs. I would also like to hear from anyone who has the same guitars, but have chosen different pickups. All opinions and advice are appreciated.

Rock on!
The i dont think the dimebucker is a good pickup. Too trebly, thin and sensitive imo
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 130

The Super 3 is my bridge pickup of choice and I've yet to play it through an amp where it sounded bad. The EQ curve on the Super Distortion is a little to boomy for me--the Super 3 adjust the EQ curve, pushing the mids up and bringing the bass down a bit. Gets you right through the mix.

Cheers,

Race

Tags
andy timmons , basswood body , bridge pickup , custom guitar , dimarzio evo , duncan invader , fixed bridge , high gain tones , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck pup , paf pro , paf pro combo , pickup combo , pro combo , seymour duncan , string thru body , super distortion , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode