Original IBZUSA pups on 540 guitars? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Original IBZUSA pups on 540 guitars?

Anybody know the equivalent DiMarzio (or closest model) to this guy? Lower resistance than an F1 or F2 (it's 15k ohms), so I think it may be a PAF type, But I dunno. If nobody here knows, I'll ask DiMarzio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:02 PM

Somewhere, either on the Dimarzio site or some other related site there's a comparison. The Original IBZUSA doesn't match directly to anything, whereas some others are pretty close, and the F3 -IS- the Super 3 from what I understand.

But 15k is not like a PAF, those range from the high 7's to the mid 8's. I sure wish I could remember what the comparison was, but I will say that the original IBZUSA is the least like another Dimarzio. I remember reading it saying "It's not really like that pickup." Whereas the other comparisons I could understand.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:15 PM

Well I just checked on the Dimarzio site and it's under FAQ, in the sections about OEM and endorser models. It doesn't mention the original. Maybe that's why I couldn't remember! It puts the F2 close to the tone zone and I think that's way off. Anyway, good luck. If I had to compare it I would say it's like a Breed meets a Norton. But that's just me. I don't think it's a "dual resonance" pickup so it doesn't have the complex midrange that those do. The mids are sort of one dimensional, and the peak is set in an awkward place. A little higher and it would be a screamer, and a little lower and it would be fat and rich sounding. I like to think of it as "versatile " rather than "plain sounding " I think I've done a good job psyching myself out, too because I still have 4 guitars with them that I want to keep looking "stock". Remarkably, as far as I can tell the ones in my Maxxas are the same, even though Maxxas literature claims they are specially designed. I don't even think there's a difference between the neck and bridge model, and it sounds really great in the neck position of the Maxxas. I have played with different bridge pickups in there but I haven't touched the neck. If you have the chance, and a hot bridge pickup, you might try it in the neck. It seems too hot but if its backed away from the strings a little its a great sound.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I had checked there first; I have that page bookmarked. I wonder what it is...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:39 AM

I measured the resistance on both my 750's w/ F2's...

one of them the pups were both around 17.5k ohms to about 18K.

one the other one, the bridge one is 18.6k ohms and the neck is 5.4M ohms... seems kind of odd... any ideas?

bear in mind these tests were done by connecting the meter to a cable plugged into the output, so switches and pots could have interfered... it just seems that the neck value on the one is WAY out of whack...

I also don't agree with the F2 being like a TZ... they have almost a Duncan JB or a hot PAF style pup...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I had a discussion with the Dimarzio help line a few years ago and kept the email...

Quote:
F2 doesn't closely resemble anything in our standard line. The closest resemblance is to the Double Whammy and the Tone Zone in terms of output, although the sound is more cutting on the high end and tighter on the bottom.

(The F4) is very similar to the PAF (DP103), with a little more bass and less treble
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:26 AM

i love IBZ pickups, all of them. they sound so great!

Frank (or any who knows): what is a "dual-resonance" pickup?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
i love IBZ pickups, all of them. they sound so great!

Frank (or any who knows): what is a "dual-resonance" pickup?
Those pups have coils that are wound differently, so the resonances are at different frequencies. So instead of one big response peak, you get 2, to either emphasize different frequency ranges (if they're really different), or make one wider one (if they're pretty close).

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , neck position , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode