PAF-pro bridge - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

PAF-pro bridge

So what you guys think of this pickup in the bridge position , im thinking about getting it.Is it good for 80s metal kinda of sound ?Does it sound good in a basswood body ? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Re: PAF-pro bridge

I love it. Out of all the pick-ups I've used over the years, the PAF Pro has the best clarity and tightness.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by giu926 View Post
So what you guys think of this pickup in the bridge position , im thinking about getting it.Is it good for 80s metal kinda of sound ?Does it sound good in a basswood body ? thanks in advance.
Yes and Yes. I think it's perfect in a basswood guitar for that 80s metal sound
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Yes, good all around pckup, this is the pickup that comes in the neck and bridge of early JEMs, they have basswood bodies too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 120

Great bridge pickup for that sound. Swap the Alnico 5 magnet for an Alnico 8 if you want a bit more power and balls.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Just used my PGM300RE at band rehearsal last night -- it has a PAF pro bridge and neck pickup. Yes, it has a GREAT tone,,,,just sings. I have other Ibanez with Breeds, evolutions, tones zones........I really like them all. The PAf PRO has a noticable "mid range" thing going on,,,with a lot of clarity and "sing". It is fairly unique, and I really enjoy it. It has the sing and sustain of the higher output pickups, with this sort of almost cleaner sound with a mid rang-ey tone. Great harmonics and touch response, and almost a wah pedal on kind of tone. Think "Summer Song." Really cool,,,,,like a Satriani kinda vibe. Almost sounds like....well, your wah is engaged a bit when it really isn't, and chords are sort of jangly and cleaner under higher gain settings. Doesn't lack sustain though. I really can't pick a favorite Dimarzio, as they all have something about them that I really enjoy. The Evolution, for example, has these really cool overtones, and the tone zone kinda does that with a darker sound. The breed is a bit more sterile to me, yet is really full and round sounding. My amp is a Soldano SLO, and so I really notice every nuance of the different pickups. And yes,,,the PGM is basswood, and I'd recommend the pickup highly.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 01-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 PM

I think it lacks output in the bridge, but it's one of the best in the neck position.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 AM

Smile Re: PAF-pro bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Just used my PGM300RE at band rehearsal last night -- it has a PAF pro bridge and neck pickup. Yes, it has a GREAT tone,,,,just sings. I have other Ibanez with Breeds, evolutions, tones zones........I really like them all. The PAf PRO has a noticable "mid range" thing going on,,,with a lot of clarity and "sing". It is fairly unique, and I really enjoy it. It has the sing and sustain of the higher output pickups, with this sort of almost cleaner sound with a mid rang-ey tone. Great harmonics and touch response, and almost a wah pedal on kind of tone. Think "Summer Song." Really cool,,,,,like a Satriani kinda vibe. Almost sounds like....well, your wah is engaged a bit when it really isn't, and chords are sort of jangly and cleaner under higher gain settings. Doesn't lack sustain though. I really can't pick a favorite Dimarzio, as they all have something about them that I really enjoy. The Evolution, for example, has these really cool overtones, and the tone zone kinda does that with a darker sound. The breed is a bit more sterile to me, yet is really full and round sounding. My amp is a Soldano SLO, and so I really notice every nuance of the different pickups. And yes,,,the PGM is basswood, and I'd recommend the pickup highly.
I would agree with everything execpt the Wah part. If you play over the neck pickup it will get that wah tone a little.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 2

yeah,,,, not really a true wah wah sound,,,just more like a tiny bit of like if the pedal was left on but not in use.....but only kind of? I don't know, there is this mid-range thing going on - maybe the wah pedal is a bad analogy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode